Lil, Ferox Pass Around

Some of you may have been following my work in progress thread, and a couple of you have taken interest in the Lil, Ferox in O1 tool steel. Unfortunately during the finishing process I discovered what appears to be a minor amount of alloy banding, I am not 100% sure the phenomenon I am seeing is Alloy banding. I do recall differentially quenching the blade, but I am almost certain this is not a result of this. From my research there are only a few possibilities, Alloy banding can occur when overheating the steel and letting it soak too long at or above critical temperature, it can also be a result of the manufacturing process from the ingot the metal was made in, I am certain I did not overheat or over soak the steel, so my suspicion is that it was a result of the steel manufacturing and thus out of my control. I have seen this phenomenon before but only in O1 tool steel and A2 and I would rather be safe than sorry. As a result the knife will not be for sale.

On a positive note, this gives me and you all an opportunity to handle my work first hand, everything else about the knife is spot on, feels amazing in the hand, has a wicked sharp edge. The blade is very intuitive and fun to cut with. Dylan Fletcher of @Fletcher Knives and I took it out back a little while ago and performed some informal cutting and abuse test to make sure the blade was safe to pass around. I did not take the blade to a final finish once I discovered this so if you do except the blade for a pass around please keep this in mind when making your observations.

The next ones I will make will be in CPM154 so the possibility of alloy banding will not be a problem as I have never witnessed this phenomenon in a crucible steel

Here is a link of a review on the larger version of this knife in CPM154
http://www.moderncombativesystemsblog.com/2016/08/fighting-knives-spotlight-ferox-fighter.html?m=1

I am not going to make a whole lot of rules and guidelines, I would like to however require you to be at least a Gold level member and have been active on my Forum before even if it's just one post.

I am going to limit it to 6 individuals at this time. First come first serve, each person will have a week with the Knife to observe and play, The only thing I ask is to report your unbiased and objective opinions on my Forum.
I will dedicate a separate thread for pass around reviews. Each person is responsible for returning the edge to its original cutting condition as you received it, I would like each person to have the chance to observe a keenly sharp blade, if you are not comfortable with returning the edge to its prior condition please return it to me so I can before sending it out to the other recipient.

Each person is responsible for mailing it to the next person and covering shipping cost unless it is return to me for edge clean up then you are only responsible for the return shipping to me.

Last but not least please simply post I volunteer followed by an email with a subject title Lil, Ferox pass around and your address and phone number in the body to Ospreyknifeandtool@gmail.com once I get 6 volunteers I will send out a group email with the schedule and order of arrival. I think that is it for now.

Here are some pictures of the Blade before I tested it.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
I would like to participate. Been very interested in this design and the bigger Ferox, but prefer stainless. So a good opportunity to see what I think of the design first.

I would like to participate. Been very interested in this design and the bigger Ferox, but prefer stainless. So a good opportunity to see what I think of the design first.

Awesome! I agree and I think you will have fun with this blade. Got you down for 2nd in line.

Okay only three slots left 3rd, 4th and 5th are open

Too bad about the banding... I feel like this knife would be really cool to check out, but I have no clue what sort of testing I would do with it. Maybe if this was going on this fall I could ambush a wild hog or something haha! I feel like that's what this knife need to be used for, pig stickin'! Right @Southern Gent? ;)

Too bad about the banding... I feel like this knife would be really cool to check out, but I have no clue what sort of testing I would do with it. Maybe if this was going on this fall I could ambush a wild hog or something haha! I feel like that's what this knife need to be used for, pig stickin'! Right @Southern Gent? ;)

Odaon Odaon not sure how I missed this post, been pretty busy this weekend on the road, any how my apologies, no formal testing required really you can just handle it and cut up some boxes if you like, you never know you mind find youself reaching for all kinds of things to cut up, and yes it would make a great pig sticker, point is I just want you guys to have fun and just see the knife so if you want to sign up and just see it thats fine with me too just let me know.

Count me in please! I'm itching to see this one.

Sounds good! Got you down for a spot! I will be sending the Lil, Ferox out for pants this week, and once I get it back I will send it out to varga49 varga49 first, I believe there is still one more spot available if no one claims it I will just go ahead with the 5 I have already.

Okay, I am locking this thread and closing it out I have the number of volunteers I need. The Lil, Ferox will be headed out for pants this week and once I get it back I will mail it out to varga49 varga49 , if you signed up and have not emailed me your address and phone number please do so at Ospreyknifeandtool@gmail.com
once I get everyones info and the Lil, Ferox back with pants I will email out the list in order of who receives and who get its next.

Thank you to everyone who volunteered, I think you will have fun with this blade!

We are still on for this, I held off because I was ill and the first recipient was varga49 varga49 , when I was ready to send it out the Hurricane was scheduled to strike Texas, I figure it was wise to hold of a bit longer until everything got somewhat back to normal down there.

I will email all of the recipients in the next few days with the order of the pass around! I appreciate your guys patience!

Back