Link to Fiddleback / WA Surls/ Osprey K&T EDC Share

Warrior108

Platinum Member
I don't want to start redundant threads and it would help if everything is in one place for continuity so I'll post this here as an FYI and ask that posts/comments be made over in the Fiddleback Forge forum. This is a share of my knives with a maximum of 3 1/2" blades, including 3 Osprey Knife & Tool models.

The 3 1/2" EDC Share

Thanks

I don't want to start redundant threads and it would help if everything is in one place for continuity so I'll post this here as an FYI and ask that posts/comments be made over in the Fiddleback Forge forum. This is a share of my knives with a maximum of 3 1/2" blades, including 3 Osprey Knife & Tool models.

The 3 1/2" EDC Share

Thanks

Thanks for posting the link up here Jerry, and including some of my profiles in the selection. I am following the thread and eagerly awaiting the developments.

Thanks for posting the link up here Jerry, and including some of my profiles in the selection. I am following the thread and eagerly awaiting the developments.
No problem. He's regretting that he sold his Warthog to me and said he'll get another at some point. I'm pretty positive that he'll really like the EDU. And he ought to like the Mamushi K and the Field Hand too.

The Shrike was just a tad past his legal allowed length unfortunately.

Listen for his head to explode tomorrow afternoon. It ought to be around noon Mountain when he picks them up. :D Nathan and maybe 1 or 2 others are also sending some his way.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. He's regretting that he sold his Warthog to me and said he'll get another at some point. I'm pretty positive that he'll really like the EDU. And he ought to like the Mamushi K and the Field Hand too.

The Shrike was just a tad past his legal allowed length unfortunately.

Listen for his head to explode tomorrow afternoon. It ought to be around noon Mountain when he picks them up. :D Nathan and maybe 1 or 2 others are also sending some his way.

Haha! I was definitely regretting that sale a little bit, planning on getting another one for sure! Also still curious about the Tusk...

I'm really looking forward to handling everything, but I'm especially looking forward to the OKT models you sent. Chris, I still want that EDU, I'm sure Jerry's will just confirm that for me!

I'm still curious about the Shrike, but it wouldn't be an EDC. Colorado is less than 3.5 inches concealed. I could carry a Fiddleback machete on my belt if I wanted, just not down my pant leg. Haha! Knives for hunting and fishing are an exception if I remember correctly. Anyhow, yeah, looking for an EDC fixed blade that I could legally conceal day to day.

I'll probably take an early lunch and an extended lunch haha! Tomorrow is going to be a good day. Nathan sent me some, Kris sent me some, and Douglas sent me a model from a non Fiddleback Family maker that I had previously asked about. Lots of awesome generous people around here! :thumbup:

PS. Chris, if one of those Tusks you've got coming ended up with OD canvas I wouldn't be real upset about having to buy it... just saying. :D

Haha! I was definitely regretting that sale a little bit, planning on getting another one for sure! Also still curious about the Tusk...

I'm really looking forward to handling everything, but I'm especially looking forward to the OKT models you sent. Chris, I still want that EDU, I'm sure Jerry's will just confirm that for me!

I'm still curious about the Shrike, but it wouldn't be an EDC. Colorado is less than 3.5 inches concealed. I could carry a Fiddleback machete on my belt if I wanted, just not down my pant leg. Haha! Knives for hunting and fishing are an exception if I remember correctly. Anyhow, yeah, looking for an EDC fixed blade that I could legally conceal day to day.

I'll probably take an early lunch and an extended lunch haha! Tomorrow is going to be a good day. Nathan sent me some, Kris sent me some, and Douglas sent me a model from a non Fiddleback Family maker that I had previously asked about. Lots of awesome generous people around here! :thumbup:

PS. Chris, if one of those Tusks you've got coming ended up with OD canvas I wouldn't be real upset about having to buy it... just saying. :D

Don't worry about the sale of the Warthog :thumbup: You will have ample opportunity to snag one in your desired handle choice. I am glad you got an opportunity to handle some of my line-up in this allotment of blades.
I will be following the thread to see what you find and comment about, feel free to drop in over here under my subforum as well and share some thought in regards to the Ospreys you were able to handle.

I am a little short on OD canvas at the moment I have more coming soon, I like to use it alot. Lets circle back around about this EDU when you have had a chance to digest everything Jerry has sent you.

Don't worry about the sale of the Warthog :thumbup: You will have ample opportunity to snag one in your desired handle choice. I am glad you got an opportunity to handle some of my line-up in this allotment of blades.
I will be following the thread to see what you find and comment about, feel free to drop in over here under my subforum as well and share some thought in regards to the Ospreys you were able to handle.

I am a little short on OD canvas at the moment I have more coming soon, I like to use it alot. Lets circle back around about this EDU when you have had a chance to digest everything Jerry has sent you.

:thumbup: no worries on the OD, my wallet probably couldn't handle it right now so it's for the better! Haha. I'll be keeping my eyes out though!

I will definitely post some thoughts about your models in here!

Here's is the Osprey Knife and Tool EDC comparisons copied from the main thread on the Fiddleback Forum.

A quick summary... For my preferences I think the EDU is the only EDC sized knife in this group. The other three would make awesome all around knives, but I'm wanting something just a touch shorter/smaller for my EDC. Out of these four models the Warthog would be my pick even though I think it's a touch big for all of my EDC uses, a guard-less one would be even better! :thumbup:

Jerry sent an EDU, Trailhand, Warthog, and Mamushi *guardless* variant for me to check out. In the past I owned a commando Warthog so I have a little experience with that model.

grwdEHdl.jpg

The EDU is a model that I've been intrigued by since Chris came out with it. I've gone back and forth on a handful of EDUs that were up for sale and I've also been in communication with Chris to get one made, but neither of those have come to fruition. This model sort of goes against some of my previously stated knife preferences, but surprisingly I still find the EDU attractive in its own way. I'm glad that Jerry decided to include this in the models he sent. This one is another sort of Sylvrfalcen situation for me, but instead of aesthetics it's comfort. I really want to my hands to like this knife but I just don't find it as comfortable as some of the models that have made made it to my finals. It feels like my fingers are looking for a little more handle; the finger notch makes my hand slide back and keeps me from choking up to sneak my pinky onto the back of the handle, the lanyard let me cheat a little but I tried to ignore it to get a real feel for the knife. The EDU was more comfortable for me in both reverse grips than in the blade forward grips. I'm definitely not saying that this model is 'out' but I don't think it fits in the EDC role that I'm looking to fill right now.

HLMTEhTl.jpg

lsI9dCWl.jpg

4KGPAhil.jpg

I think the other three models feel more like they fit into the "all arounders" group than the EDC group and the Warthog was my favorite. The Trailhand would make a dandy do-it-all game knife, the deeper blade and extra belly would make an awesome skinner. I find the handle really comfortable in all of the various grips that I tried.

8rZTHL3l.jpg

HJ0pEKml.jpg

The Warthog, as I said above, would make an awesome do-it-all knife. It fits right in with the other models that I put into the group from the Fiddlebacks; maybe just a little bit too big for my EDC wants. The Warthog was my favorite of these three Osprey Knife and Tool models, it fits right in with many of my preferences, sleek narrow blade and all. The older commando Warthog that I used to have made a very nice EDC because of the thinness, I think it might be a touch long for all of my uses, but I definitely plan on getting another Warthog from Chris at some point. This one is a finalist, with a few caveats... see my thoughts in the "Finalists Post". http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-3-1-2-quot-EDC-Share?p=17035314#post17035314

R9VA8Y2l.jpg

wYuJJZul.jpg

udrzVhPl.jpg

Finally, the Mamushi *guardless* Variant. This is an interesting knife. It feels pretty good in hand and in plenty of different grips, except the "angle of attack" feels slightly off for me. I guess there's a fine line between good parabolic and slightly too much parabolic. You can sort of see what I'm trying to explain in the picture below comparing the Mamushi to the Bushboot and Sawnee. The other thing I found a interesting about this, and maybe Chris had a good reason for this in his design of the knife, but with a pinch grip clearing knuckles from the bottom of the handle (my preferred food prep grip), the end of the handle still prevents the full edge from getting to the cutting surface (see Chris' comment below I was mistaken on the variant). If my understanding is correct Chris has done a couple different versions of the Mamushi. I would be very interested in handling all of them at the same time. I find this model visually appealing, so if one of the other versions worked well for me I could see myself looking to get one as another possible do it all knife.

5g3kzoNl.jpg

HubVQcYl.jpg

F0twGoHl.jpg

K9Dqtkel.jpg

5wbfqobl.jpg

Last edited:
Orion,

Thank you for taking the time out to put my contenders through their respective paces and giving them a thorough consideration.
I enjoyed reading your opinions on all of the knives laid out before you and considering the size of the undertaking I was impressed with your commitment to thoroughness and willingness to accept.

I do understand the nature of certain handle shapes and configurations not being for everyone in regards to the EDU, I am pleased you re kindled your interest in the Warthog, and would like to work with you on putting one together.

The Mamushi you mention is a Guardless variant, I only offer the Apache and Raptor in the (K) variant due to the guardless feature in addition to the more upturned handle. I have only made one of the guardless Mamushi.

Thank you again and to Jerry for helping facilitate this experiment.

Orion,

Thank you for taking the time out to put my contenders through their respective paces and giving them a thorough consideration.
I enjoyed reading your opinions on all of the knives laid out before you and considering the size of the undertaking I was impressed with your commitment to thoroughness and willingness to accept.

I do understand the nature of certain handle shapes and configurations not being for everyone in regards to the EDU, I am pleased you re kindled your interest in the Warthog, and would like to work with you on putting one together.

The Mamushi you mention is a Guardless variant, I only offer the Apache and Raptor in the (K) variant due to the guardless feature in addition to the more upturned handle. I have only made one of the guardless Mamushi.

Thank you again and to Jerry for helping facilitate this experiment.

Chris, thank you! My mistake on the Mamushi, thanks for clearing that up, I made note of it in the OP here and will edit the other thread as well!

I had some other thoughts on the Warthog this morning, I will follow up with another PM.

Agreed! Thank you Jerry for letting me check out all of these awesome knives!

Also, thank you Chris from making such awesome knives, all of these models may not have been right for my EDC role, but I still really enjoyed having them around to fondle and compare. I can't wait to add an OKT back into my collection, and I'm sure I will continue to be impressed by your knives! :thumbup:

Back