Link to Fiddleback / WA Surls/ Osprey K&T EDC Share

Warrior108

Platinum Member
I don't want to start redundant threads and it would help if everything is in one place for continuity so I'll post this here as an FYI and ask that posts/comments be made over in the Fiddleback Forge forum. This is a share of my knives with a maximum of 3 1/2" blades, including 5 WA Surls models.

The 3 1/2" EDC Share

Thanks

These are posted in the main thread linked above, but I wanted to share my thoughts here as well.

Working my way through all these knives so I can get them back to their owners safety sooner than later! I was able to sit down and spend some time with all of the WA Surls models yesterday. There are 11 models so I'll probably do this in two posts, starting with all of the "Palmer handled" models.

FVviYvll.jpg

The Palmer is an old Fiddleback pattern that Andy stopped making if I'm not mistaken, it's essentially a large Runt. I definitely prefer the larger Palmer to the tiny Runt, but it shares many of the same visual qualities that I don't prefer. I prefer slender, sleek, and pointy for my knives. The Palmer handle (and Big Palmer even more so) shape feels good in hand which is why Allen uses it on several models I'm sure. The only slight knock on the Palmer handle for my hands is that in reverse grip -cutting cordage and such- the inward curve catches the meat of my palm. Aside from that and my personal aesthetic preferences, I think the Palmer would make a sweet little EDC. I can see why people wanted them to continue being made.

2WopWDhl.jpg

lJf7tcVl.jpg

The "Big Palmer" handled models all fit my hand better than the standard Palmer and I find that handle shape comfortable as I said above, so these models really come down to blade shape and aesthetics. The Huntsman is definitely my favorite of the bunch. The extra length makes reverse grip more comfortable because the curve of the handle clears my palm. Not only do I think that this would make a very nice EDC, but I'm betting it would be a sweet skinning knife. Of all of the blade shapes here the Huntsman is the simplest which is probably my it's my favorite, followed closely by the Harpoon...

AbR7jndl.jpg

sGONV6Fl.jpg

The last three Big Palmer handled knives all fall second to the Huntsman because of my personal blade shape preferences. The Harpoon and Inlander are essentially the Huntsman with some blade extras. The Nessmuck handle is just slightly longer.

The Harpoon may not tick all of my 'visually appealing boxes', but I find this model super comfortable! Especially in this grip that allows my thumb to rest perfectly on the blade. If I liked blades with extras a bit more I would have a hard time over looking this model!

OgYgIYVl.jpg

It takes a very particular swedge to please me, the Inlander's isn't one of them. Again thought, I find the handle to be quite nice, especially this one in black micarta!

gPxlj4yl.jpg

This Rocky Mountain Nessmuck's handle is just a smidge longer than the previous models and makes it just a touch more comfortable in hand; negligible really. Like the Harpoon, my thumb rides nicely on the blades curves. As you can probably guess though, I'm unsure about the blade shape. As an aside, the Nessmuck design in general is a model that baffles me. I will randomly find myself drooling over some of them, but other times I'm completely uninterested. I really should acquire one and put it to use for a few months to make up my dang mind... :D

QJANasVl.jpg

KHzYPtQl.jpg

Now for the 'other' Surls models!

K28idKnl.jpg

First up, an unnamed spear point stick tang. I think this is just a cool little knife, but it's not something that I see myself carry every day. The antler handle fit's well in hand and the blade would make a handy little skinning knife. Pair this thing with an old school rifle and go chase some deer! :thumbup:

aABbttyl.jpg

The Kanati very much so reminded me of the Fiddleback BC Jr. so I pulled it out to compare a la Sarah, belly to belly. As you can see, the handle curves are pretty similar on both of these models with the Kanati's "useable" handle coming up slightly shorter than the BC Jr. The blade on the Kanati has a bit more of a downward angle overall. I think that anyone who enjoys the BC Jr. would also like the Kanati. Like the BC Jr. and other "Hiking Buddy handled" models, the Kanati handle feels good in hand. In reverse grip, because of the slightly shorter "useable length" the Kanati does catch that meaty part of my hand, but I don't find it as uncomfortable as some of the other models that hit my hand in the same way.

y4JxsUcl.jpg

Lm99Q7hl.jpg

The Revenant EDC doesn't really do it for me visually; though I think it's a wicked looking knife, in a good way, especially with the curly Q. This model just doesn't sit well in my hands. The guard catches my index finger and the Q gets into my palm. I think the blade shape looks cool, but I don't seem myself owning one.

Mm6UZVNl.jpg

The Sawnee is interesting, I was immediately reminded of the Bushboot when I pulled it out. They both have a very similar parabolic curve and feel similar in hand, though I find the Bushboot a touch more comfortable. I prefer the look of the guard-less blade on the Sawnee, but it doesn't serve much of a practical use because the overall curve of the knife keeps the full edge from being put into food prepping use unless you do so with the back of the knife hanging off your prepping surface. The curly Q hits my hand in the same way as the Revenant EDC but I think the different handle shape keeps it from being really uncomfortable. Also, I don't find the signature handle wrap of Allen's Frontier line visually appealing -I don't dislike it at all, I just don't prefer it- however, in hand it feels very nice! Overall I find the Bushboot slightly more appealing, but this is definitely an interesting model, I would be curious to play with one that doesn't the Q.

kptZIYQl.jpg

VAi5iqIl.jpg

Next up, the Minuteman! I'm impressed with this model, and just as an extra note this was my roommate Steve's favorite of the entire bunch. This particular one is a very thinly tapered 3/32 CPM with a hollow grind and it's light! Like some of the previous models I had a comparisons pop into my head when I started playing with this knife, the Minuteman pulled a very tough competitor in the Hiking Buddy, one of my favorites from the Fiddleback comparisons! The Minuteman has a slightly shorter blade and a slightly longer handle, but less 'usable handle' than the HB. The deeper curves of the MM's handle feel like they lock into my fingers a bit more than the HB, but the HB is more comfortable in the reverse grips because of the more rounded overall handle. Like the Kanati vs BC Jr. the Minuteman's blade has a slightly more downward angle, I quite like it on this model, plus it's slender and pointy... my favorite!

XOoUU2ml.jpg

7iajbDtl.jpg

KyeuAafl.jpg

Speaking of slender and pointy and keeping with some of my themes so far, I saved the Patch for last. Out of all of the knives that were sent to me this is model that has had the strongest initial impact; the biggest lightning strike! The Esquire and OS Karda made it to my 'finals list' for the Fiddleback models, in fact I would say they're probably 2nd and 3rd behind the HB, but the Surls Patch does everything that those two models do for me, plus a lot more. This is one of those knives that just feels good in my hand anyway I hold it, and I tried as many as I could think of. The curves lock into my hand in all the right ways, it almost feels like it becomes part of my hand.

63qGALyl.jpg

w3LzgDul.jpg

p6OUMIjl.jpg

6AyqEsYl.jpg

TUjQJ4Bl.jpg

I felt that this model was most similar to the Esquire, so again I compared them belly to belly (sorry for the glare and shadows). The handle curves are pretty similar and these models are essentially the same in blade length and handle length. The Patch is a little more narrow overall. The Patch's handle ends more gradually and I find that more comfortable in the underhand grips as you can see above. Also, the Patch is guard-less, a plus! If someone held out a Patch and Esquire of identical materials for me to pick, I would have to choose the Patch, but I can see myself carry either of these models and being quite pleased with them.

6NYrpf1l.jpg

The W.A. Surls models that have made it to the "EDC Finals" are the Huntsman, Minuteman, and Patch. The the reverse order being their rankings. The Patch is far and away my favorite of the bunch, it just fits my hand right. Time to beg Allen to make me a Patch!

sD4QyXKl.jpg

Some other Surls EDC models that I would be curious to get in hand would be the Shark/Cuda, Bobcat, Hornet, Hunter, Mini Hunter, and... the Great White Buffalo, haha! :D

Link to Summary and Fiddleback finalists:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-3-1-2-quot-EDC-Share?p=17035314#post17035314

Back