Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

What can you guys tell me about this knife??

Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow. 3 3/4" closed, M390 blade, Titanium bolsters and liners.
Blade Length: 2 15/16" Edge Length: 2 5/8" OAL: 6 11/16" Blade thickness: 95/1000"

Radius everything (blade, backspring, liners), Stop pin. Half Stop. Dual sided, pinch-able pull.

Expected release: May 2017
Expected price: $90 (Cocobolo), $112 (Stag), $105 (Ram), $170 (Abalone), $108 (Carbon Fiber)

Also, we are very proud to announce the new "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow from the outstanding Italian craftsmen at Lion Steel. In M390 steel with Titanium bolsters and liners, this knife will help bridge the gap between traditional and modern folders.

16403419_1540688979292667_7422808559020217062_o.jpg

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of it until I got the email from CK.

M390 slip joint from Lionsteel...had to get in on the Cocobolo. That price seems great to me.

i got in on the carbon fiber -- looks clean and slick to me!

edit: to clarify, the knife itself looks good -- i haven't seen the cf version secifically, but lionsteel's cf usually looks great (i don't think theu use laminate cf).

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know anything about it but what Mike put on the early reserve. I even watched a couple Lionsteel SHOT show videos but wasn't aware of this knife until I got the text from CK. I'm really intrigued, though.

Looks interesting with Ti bolsters and liners and m390. I like the sound of Ramshorn. I think it said available around May 2017.

Last edited:
I would certainly think so, from the looks of the screws. Very nice looking, modern take on the Barlow.

I can't tell for sure from the photo but it looks like the top bolster screw might not be the pivot screw... it looks too far back but I'm not sure.

Beat me to the punch.
I am in on the Rams horn, with a maybe on the Stag.

That being said, the Carbon fiber would make for a good all weather traditional since everything is either stainless or essentially inert.
I think I might go for Ram and CF now that I just about talked myself into it...

Eta:
The screw based construction makes me think changing slabs wouldn't be that difficult and would make for a nice platform to have a "modular" knife.

Want a dressier knife, toss on your abalone.
Want a more work-a-day knife, put on your micarta slabs.

Last edited:
What can you guys tell me about this knife??

Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow. 3 3/4" closed, M390 blade, Titanium bolsters and liners.
Blade Length: 2 15/16" Edge Length: 2 5/8" OAL: 6 11/16" Blade thickness: 95/1000"
Radius everything (blade, backspring, liners), Stop pin. Half Stop. Dual sided, pinch-able pull.

I can tell you that LionSteel has a good reputation for producing high quality knives and that M390 is a PM alloy which is considered at or near the top for edge retention performance in a stainless steel.

Yeah, I went rams horn too. Curious what it will look like. Weird that there is no other sign of these knives anywhere else online.

I couldn't find anything about them either. That said, I'm in for "sure" on the stag and "maybe" on the CF. :)

I have a little experience with M390 since I sharpened a friends knife and got to try it. I'm not at all familiar with Lion Steel.

It seems like a smart combination of modern materials (maybe construction also) and an old time pattern. It's a surprisingly open market despite a seemingly large and growing interest in modern/traditional knives.

The Lucky One (with clip removed) is a neat slipjoint. But it's not really a traditional pattern and the design doesn't make much sense to me... a full flat grind and more traditional shape would have been better in my opinion.

Lion Steel has a manufacturer subforum here on BF if you need more info about the company.

Lion Steel has a manufacturer subforum here on BF if you need more info about the company.

There are other sections of the forum?! ;) :D

Seriously though... I don't leave this area much. Mostly just here, Exchange, and occasionally BRL's forum. I hadn't seen their forum and I'll check it out. Thanks !

Back