Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

Wasn't looking at the wood myself but is it changing or will it be a lottery between the two because personally I like the darker reddish which I believe is the Cocobolo.

Wasn't looking at the wood myself but is it changing or will it be a lottery between the two because personally I like the darker reddish which I believe is the Cocobolo.

No cocobolo at all. Just Palo Santo. Cocobolo (rosewoods) and Ebonies were placed on some kind of import restricted list that requires duties and paperwork headaches, so Lionsteel won't be using those anymore on anything.

No cocobolo at all. Just Palo Santo. Cocobolo (rosewoods) and Ebonies were placed on some kind of import restricted list that requires duties and paperwork headaches, so Lionsteel won't be using those anymore on anything.
It might be a stretch to say anymore but certainly use will drop and won't come back up at all for sometime as it will probably take a legal and/or accounting minds to figure out if when and how they can do it again. I can only hope that is the case would be a shame I am not saying the other isn't beautiful too but different woods work better for different styles and designs.

I'm quoting from Mike's video. It's at the end.

Since these covers are screwed on, it would be easy enough to remove them and stain them, which I might do. I liked the look of the cocobolo on the TI. I think if the palo santo were a little lighter, or higher contrast, it would pop. Then again, it'll probably age pretty nicely.

I can't wait to smell the Palo Santo knife. I want the Stag but need to see what they look like. I'm not even a Barlow guy but the metal materials have me got very interested. When the Palo Santo knife sits in your pocket for a while and gets warm, I bet it will radiate the fragrance. Sounds like a nice cover but that wood is kind of soft.

Last edited:
Yeah I am not enthused about the switch to Palo Santo, so I'll probably just hope for a Ram's horn now. Made the choice easier anyway.
No pending legislation on Ram's horn is there?:rolleyes:

I have the CF on reserve. I am thinking about getting more than one! They look great.

I can't wait to smell the Palo Santo knife. I want the Stag but need to see what they look like. I'm not even a Barlow guy but the metal materials have me got very interested. When the Palo Santo knife sits in your pocket for a while and gets warm, I bet it will radiate the fragrance. Sounds like a nice cover but that wood is kind of soft.
Yesterday my Google search for Palo Santo showed it to be a very hard wood. (http://www.davesfloorsanding.com/pdfs/janka hardness.pdf) May I ask where you found info designating it as soft? Anyone have info on this wood???

Last edited:
You can have it, but the day the mailman delivers it, there'll be a SWAT teams from Homeland Security, EPA, Commerce, and ATF breaking down your doors. Having cocobolo in this country is a national security risk.

Well then I suppose it would only be right for us all to turn in any cocobolo we already own or have on the way.

Though, it would make for an interesting morning to have happen what you have stated. :)

I have a knife that I bought a few years ago that was designed in Germany, manufactured in Italy, and sold from Canada. It is screwed together, cocobolo covers, and CPM S90V. The liners are slightly radiused like the Roundhead. At 4-1/2", I left the pocket clip on to carry it in hunting season. I think there are 2 or 3 cutlery factories in Italy. The build quality on my knife it top notch. There is a lot of interest in the Roundhead, and deservedly so. Can't wait. I hope Lionhead can steer toward pinned construction like American companies. I think there would be a very large market in the US for well made traditional knives with higher end steels. The thread on "My carbon steel rant" bears this out.

Back