Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

I hope Lionhead can steer toward pinned construction like American companies. I think there would be a very large market in the US for well made traditional knives with higher end steels. The thread on "My carbon steel rant" bears this out.

Lion Steel. The frame is pinned. The slabs are torx. Other than nostalgia there is little reason to pin the slabs on a knife these days. And folks overseas don't seem to hold dear our nostalgia. It sure makes it easier for home repair if you knock a chip out of the slab or want to mod it. Also makes it easier for the factory to not tear down a knife because of a pin crack; which you won't get as often anyway since there is no peening the slabs. As much as I love traditionals, there are improvements to be made in function. Whether they fly in the traditional market is yet to be seen.

I agree this knife is put together just the way it should be, couldn't be happier with it. Thanks for all the effort that went into it.
Someone posted a picture of a traditional built with screwed on handles, I'll have to try to find it.
I'm still a sure for a CF and Cocobolo but Palo Santo will work just as well.
Besides it will be easy and fun to make different handles for it.

Lion Steel. The frame is pinned. The slabs are torx. Other than nostalgia there is little reason to pin the slabs on a knife these days. And folks overseas don't seem to hold dear our nostalgia. It sure makes it easier for home repair if you knock a chip out of the slab or want to mod it. Also makes it easier for the factory to not tear down a knife because of a pin crack; which you won't get as often anyway since there is no peening the slabs. As much as I love traditionals, there are improvements to be made in function. Whether they fly in the traditional market is yet to be seen.
I am 100% on board with this assessment. I just had to post this since the "Like" button didn't feel like it was as in emphatic agreement enough.
------
Violin playing is a physical art with great traditions behind it.
- Vanessa Mae

The beauty about the Violin is that people do not have to play the same songs that Bach, Chopin, Mozart, et al have created. They can play the same instrument that was played then, but they can play their own melodies.

Knife making is similar in regards to a well executed knife is a physical art with a Vast and great amount of traditions behind it.

So why do we not appreciate this Barlow as we would a modern melody played on a Violin?
Both have a rich history behind them, both are possible to be under the influence of time, and current requirements (timing of a song vs. Pin or screw for the slabs)...

The art remains the same. A high quality barlow whether it had pinned covers or screwed on covers is still a high quality barlow...

Tradition for the sake or tradition is mindless, and I would like to think that we are all a little more evolved than that...

I agree 100% NJBillk. I love old traditional pocket knives as much as the next guy but the high end steel & modern construction of The Roundhead is very appealing to me. :thumbsup::cool:
Nothing wrong with thinking out of the box.:D Thanks for the updates Mike. :)

Miller Brothers had screw on covers many years ago, I have yet to find one for me, part of the reason I am looking forward to this knife. Screw on handes are pretty traditional, just not as common.

Miller Brothers had screw on covers many years ago, I have yet to find one for me, part of the reason I am looking forward to this knife. Screw on handes are pretty traditional, just not as common.

Oh, Yeah! :cool:
VpZJStu.jpg

Yesterday my Google search for Palo Santo showed it to be a very hard wood. (http://www.davesfloorsanding.com/pdfs/janka hardness.pdf) May I ask where you found info designating it as soft? Anyone have info on this wood???

After looking further into the use of palo santo wood as knife handle material it seems two very different woods share this common name. Those woods are a relatively dark wood which ranks very hard on the Janka hardness scale and a lighter wood which rates a moderate to light 1450, about the same hardness as maple.
I would be interested to hear from someone who has experience with this wood. Also knifeswapper knifeswapper , (Mike) can you identify the palo santo wood Lion Steel is using on the Euro-Barlow?

After looking further into the use of palo santo wood as knife handle material it seems two very different woods share this common name. Those woods are a relatively dark wood which ranks very hard on the Janka hardness scale and a lighter wood which rates a moderate to light 1450, about the same hardness as maple.
I would be interested to hear from someone who has experience with this wood. Also knifeswapper knifeswapper , (Mike) can you identify the palo santo wood Lion Steel is using on the Euro-Barlow?

The Wood Database web site is a reputable source on many kinds of wood, here is the link

http://www.wood-database.com/pau-santo/

Do we have any dimensions yet for scale thickness or has someone already sourced out where we can buy properly sized materials (scales and screws) to make our own handles?

I am gonna need some stag, various types of wood and lets not forget micarta.

Congratulations on this project, Mike. These look really great, and it's clear to see how much work and attention to detail you and the folks at Lion Steel put into these Euro-barlows. Way to push the envelope :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of these, and how they may choose to modify them. They look great straight from the factory, though. Nice work :)

First production prototypes in the house...

Yeah me too. I check here and CK everyday for new news lol.
I'm sure we must be getting close nowo_O:confused::eek: :D

Back