Lionsteel KUR

Picked up a KUR yesterday. This has to be one of the best knives I've ever owned! I love the detent, flipping is super fast and smooth. the g10 is comfortable and contoured very nicely. The liner lock is solid and very easy to disengage. I really love the addition of the Spyderco style wire clip, my favorite pocket clip of all time! All around great knife and I highly recommend it!

Knifecenter's Labor Day Sale gives you 20% off the black G-10/PVD stonewashed version. Comes out to a pretty good price.

Just got my Kur Metamorphosis today!
I would love to love this knife... Blade is fantastic, grip is great, appearance is really good but... IT DOES NOT FLIP!
Blade can't open properly 99% of the time, get somewhat stuck.

I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow morning if I ask for a refund or an exchange.

Just got my Kur Metamorphosis today!
I would love to love this knife... Blade is fantastic, grip is great, appearance is really good but... IT DOES NOT FLIP!
Blade can't open properly 99% of the time, get somewhat stuck.

I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow morning if I ask for a refund or an exchange.

I just posted in the other KUR thread. Mine had an issue but it seems cured by blasting the pivot with WD-40 and then compressed air. Little brass colored particles came out.
The action was strange. It would be smooth through part of the rotation, then bumpy and gritty.
I will add that the ball detent creates a fair amount of friction perhaps because of the strongly sprung lockbar (which I like). It's easy to flip but not glassy smooth like some others.

I recently got a Viper Kyomi with very similar action. I briefly tried lubing it. Couldn't improve it. I returned for an exchange. By contrast my Viper Odino is glassy smooth.

I have mixed feeling on bearing pivots. I think they may be more trouble than they're worth.

I tried what you said, not much happened.
A bit of an improvement when I doodled with the pivot, but it does not take much to get blade play when the blade is drawn.
You are describing exactly what I feel: smooth through part of the rotation, then bumpy and gritty.
The lockbar seems to be the issue here indeed, it is way too compressed IMO, and I don't feel at all like tampering with it.
It's a bit of a shame, especially with a knife with such overall qualities.

As a flicker, it is an awesome piece.
As a flipper, it is way below a Proelia I received on the same day...

Still have not figured out what to do haha,
I wanna love this knife so bad, there are so many things that appeal me with it but my OCD is in code red every time I (try to) flip it.

I don't think the detent is causing the problem. It does add friction but now that my pivot has been flushed, it's operating smoothly, albeit not with the glassy feel of some bearing knives.

I tried everything I could, minus taking it apart and voiding my retailer's warranty. It's glassy like in "tiny shards of glass stuck in the folding mechanism".
It's really miserable, as the blade and the handle designs are absolutely fantastic.

If there was not this problem the KUR will definitely be in my top folders list. Maybe I got a lemon, anyway I should have known better from other hobbies that it is generally not a great idea to buy the 1st production series of something.

I have no idea if I exchange it for another one, maybe in G10/blackened this time. Or if I flip it (ha ha) for something else from another manufacturer.

Edit: I chose to keep it, it will be my favorite flicker :)

Last edited:
I've had my KUR Metamorphosis since early June 2016. The only issue I have is the tight clip. One side tighter than the other and it has scratched the Metamorphosis coating.

The flipper is very good. I can open it using light switch and push button in any position. It's still a little gritty so not smooth. I did put a drop of nano-oil on the detent ball and either side of the pivot area. Lock disengagement is easy and very solid lock up. Blade came very sharp and centered.

I read that they are now leaving the clip off of the Metamorphosis due to the scratching of the coating.

The G-10 Kur that I have is smooth. It does not flip as easily as my TRE, though. It seems to be getting better and better in flipping--or I am!

Yes, KUR now comes without a clip in a leather sheath.

kur-d.jpg

IMG_0820-L.png
First post, love my all black KUR:thumbsup: Super curious about what looks to be a KUR at the IWA classic. It has WOOD scales!!! Can I buy one?

I got a KUR recently and love it. It is heavy, but I knew that going into it. My one gripe is the pocket clip. It is the tightest clip I've ever had on the knife and makes it very hard to put in my pocket or draw it one-handed. My only other Lionsteel knife is a micarta TM1 and I much prefer the pocket clip on it. The TM1 is much easier to draw and the smaller pocket clip on it disappears in the hand better when gripping the knife.

Besides the pocket clip, I think it's a fantastic knife. Very attractive with incredible fit and finish. I had heard some complaints about the flipping action, but mine has been flawless in that regard. The rounded spine is awesome and the thick liner-lock is very confidence-inspiring.

Last edited:
Mine should be here tomorrow and I'll post my thoughts when it's in my hands.
Can't wait !!

Back