LionSteel Steels

RamZar

Gold Member
See the 2016 Update.

See the 2015 Update.

LionSteel 2014 Catalog page 24:

8acb5ca758599612151db30718031892_zps45fd1d6f.jpg

Composition Comparison Graph For The Knife Steels Bohler-Uddeholm K110 (D2), Lohmann Niolox, Bohler-Uddeholm Sleipner, Bohler-Uddeholm Elmax

1918ec82fd91a82e65248fa03411624c_zps58cdc197.jpg

UDDEHOLM SLEIPNER (Data Sheet)
"Uddeholm's modern version of the classic D2 tool steel, with improved toughness to better fit active knife use. Even though this is not a PM steel, the finer steel structure in Uddeholm Sleipner gives better machinability, polishability and edge retention."​

UDDEHOLM ELMAX (Data Sheet)
"Third generation powder metal technology. Noted for its fine carbide distribution with extremely low inclusion content for virtually no chip-out. An excellent balance between corrosion resistance and edge retention. Can be polished to an extremely high finish. Hardens and tempers to 57-59 HRC and 60-62 HRC with deep freeze. For maximum toughness, harden and temper to 57-59 HRC. For maximum wear resistance, harden and temper to 60-62 HRC."​

BÖHLER K110 (D2) (Data Sheet)
"We have Bohler K110, our name for D2. Stock in thicknesses from 3/32” to 3/16”. The surface is hot rolled, but with minimal scale. The steel is very fine grained. D2 produced with Bohler's cross-rolling technology that produces a fine, uniform grained steel. The best D2 available for hand knives."​

LOHMANN NIOLOX (LO-R 4153.03)

Last edited:
..... and Sleipner is the best one for me!!

The only reason is that it is difficult find the Sleipner. I am going to close an agreement with Uddeholm. They will make special thickness only for LionSteel. As soon as I have enought material I will use Sleipner like my first blade's steel.

Gianni,

Were you able to secure sufficient quantity of Sleipner from Uddeholm?

M390 was tried for SR-1. In test Sleipner have better edge retention.

Here a picture of m390 sr-1 used for test. Read under lionsteel.

IMG_0588.jpg

I choose Vanadis 4 extra for KR Enki. Excellent steel but lower corrosion resistance can present a problem with uncoated blade.

The reason I mentioned M390 is because it's an extremely popular stainless super steel in the U.S. Equalled by CTS-204P and CPM-20CV. All are surpassed by CPM-S90V.

I choose Vanadis 4 extra for KR Enki. Excellent steel but lower corrosion resistance can present a problem with uncoated blade.

Low chromium. Explains why Zero Tolerance has thick black coating on the upcoming 0102 Tomahawk and 0180 both using Vanadis 4 Extra.

However, I don't see any coating on the KR Enki so it needs to be well maintained.

Last edited:
..... and Sleipner is the best one for me!!

Why is this the best one for you? I would love to hear what your tests showed. From the chemistry noted above, it would seem that others would out perform it. Is it you processing and heat treatment that puts it over the others? I am really liking your new M7.
Thanks
Dave

Molletta,

Can you please tell us about the edge retention tests you conducted which led LionSteel to pick Sleipner over M390 for SR-1 a few years ago.

Sleipner have secondary hardening and in Sio2 test have results near Vanadis 4. 10mg/min circa. M390 can be tempered to obtain secondary hardening, in this case has similar values ​​of consumption, but it's usually tempered to obtain better corrosion resitence an so wear is lower.

Although the M390 appears as part of one of the finest stainless steel, the comparison with the carbon steels and something different. Carbon steels have the particularity to cut even when apparently they have edge consumed. In a practical test, repeated to obtain reliable data, the SR-1 sleipner cut long even in the latter part of the test was necessary to press. The one in the M390 cut fine but at some point there was a rapid decay until a cut.

In a test on vanadis 23 with a specific heat treating , we could not finish it.

Sorry for my english.

Last edited:
Thanks Molletta.

You have mentioned about the good corrosion resistance of Sleipner even though it is NOT a stainless steel. Can you expand on that and any testings?

Sleipner is not stainless nut in pratical use like chipper or k360 or others 8% chrome steel not have big problem with rust or corrosion. In pratical test it has exposed to some acid food, rain, umidity without problem. SR-1 was made in 2010, no one has complained of problems. This does not mean that it is stainless steel, a minimum du care should give it to him. Dry the blade when wet, for example.

Last edited:
Sleipner is not stainless nut in pratical use like chipper or k360 or others 8% chrome steel not have big problem with rust or corrosion. In pratical test it has exposed to some acid food, rain, umidity without problem. SR-1 was made in 2010, no one has complained of problems. This does not mean that it is steel, a minimum du care should give it to him. Dry the blade when wet, for example.

Thanks again.

After a day of use I recommend hand-wash with soap and water, dry with hair dryer (if you have it and if not a rag) and a little lube.

A lot of good information in this thread now. I have also updated info, links and charts in post# 1.

Hi Molletta,

If you don't mind I have a few questions :)

1) What is sio2 testing? I've googled it, but most of the results were either electricity or Silicon Oxide related subjects.

Sleipner have secondary hardening and in Sio2 test have results near Vanadis 4. 10mg/min circa. M390 can be tempered to obtain secondary hardening, in this case has similar values ​​of consumption, but it's usually tempered to obtain better corrosion resitence an so wear is lower.
2) So, in the end, what was the hardness of Sleipner and M390 in the test blades?

3) Edge type - polished vs. coarse, which was it for the sleipner and M390?

Although the M390 appears as part of one of the finest stainless steel, the comparison with the carbon steels and something different. Carbon steels have the particularity to cut even when apparently they have edge consumed. In a practical test, repeated to obtain reliable data, the SR-1 sleipner cut long even in the latter part of the test was necessary to press. The one in the M390 cut fine but at some point there was a rapid decay until a cut.

4) Both, Vanadis 4 and M390 have a lot more alloying elements in them, which should contribute to better wear resistance, and both are PM steels, while Sleipner is not. What was the test cutting material and cutting method?

Test pin on disc Sio2 is the measures the wear of steel through a abrasive point in a certain time.

Hardness is 60/61;

The some edge type;

Cutting 20 mm syntethic rope, crauled cutting.

Carbon steels and stainless steels have a different behavior for keeping the edge.
As written in previus post, the particularity which carbon tool steel is choosed to industries for industrial blades for large jobs cycle.

Yes.
Hardened on my specification.

ASTM 11.1 authenitic grane. Very fine structure.

Molleta,
thanks for answers!

Test pin on disc Sio2 is the measures the wear of steel through a abrasive point in a certain time.
I see, so this would be separate test form actual cutting, you put test metal pin on Silicon Oxide disk and measure wear after certain amount of time or RPMs, correct?

Cutting 20 mm syntethic rope, crauled cutting.
I figure crauled was a type, but can't figure what was meant to be there...?

Carbon steels and stainless steels have a different behavior for keeping the edge.
As written in previus post, the particularity which carbon tool steel is choosed to industries for industrial blades for large jobs cycle.
Well, they do have different behavior, on the other hand, all those high alloy stainless steels were created for industrial cutting too, in fact there are very few steels created for knives, and neither m390, nor sleipner were intended for knives.

Anyway, back to wear resistance test, you mentioned Sleipner was very close to Vanadis 4, and that'd be one of the major surprises to me at least, based on Sleipner vs. Vanadis 4 composition comparison, both alloys have pretty much the same amount of Chromium, 0.20% is rather margin of error, and then Vanadis 4 has ~67% more carbon and 700% more Vanadium, which in the end amounts to very little difference in alloy performance? I doubt +extra molly and Silicon in Sleipner can explain the results either.
That was on SiO2 test? How is that happening, I can't attribute the result to stainless vs. non stainless, Cr is the same, what gives?

Back