LionSteel Steels

Bohler says at least three tempers and cryo in between.
We are dealing with M390 after all.
Yet it is easy to spot that the great majority of production knives fail even before in the way that they are not austenized at > than 1150°C. This is the very first step to avoid precipitation of big chunks of Cr carbides. As this way we achieve the best possible Cr carbide dissolution to start with. This means more Cr in solid solution for stain resistance, more C for hardness (say edge stability)
Molten salt bath it the best quenching media.
IMHO stopping quenching at more than 70-80°C ain't properly the best practice.
But in production world I'd be glad even with 5bar gas quenching (instead of Molten salt bath).
And Bohler endorses my thought.
I eagerly wait for the very first production M390 knife heat treated this way.

Last edited:
bfbfc26e-e783-45a5-8fd1-820f1a80b222_zpsdsms4qt5.jpg

Composition Comparison Graph For The Knife Steels Bohler-Uddeholm K110, Bohler-Uddeholm M390, Lohmann Niolox, Bohler-Uddeholm Sleipner, Bohler-Uddeholm Elmax
609298d7-a3e0-4f73-b6de-24b6cc9eac3c_zpsuf20kupc.png

Data Sheets:

I have developed the dell'm390 treatment to obtain better abrasion resistance and therefore better edge holding.
I see that normally this is hardened as any stainless steel negating the potentials of the same... :(

Sorry. Only a little number of TRE with K390. For Kur there aren't project for limited edition in K390.

Many people compare sleipner to D2 but it looks like they have very diffetent compositions...
How tough is sleipner steel ?
Any test data for toughness ?

On Sleipner got good values, 48J to 60+ HRC. quite close to those of the A2 values. D2 is 25/30 circa. 7x10x55

I must point out that quality HT developed is higher than those which on average are seen in cutlery.

Here ASTM 11.
Value ASTM that i see in knives are around 8.

microsleipner5.png

microsleipner7.png

Last edited:
Looking at the composition it is somewhat similar to A8mod or the INFI steel.
In the M7 slripner is excellent

I have the SR1 in Sleipner.
So far I quite do not see the point in using an ingot steel whose edge holding is ludicrously low.
CPM-3V can reach same toughness values with fairly better stain resistance and edge holding.

To the LionSteel guys, what is the approximately Rockwell hardness of the T5 in Niolox? Also, how does it compare to Sleipner in edge retention and toughness? Thanks.

Niolox ar 59 hrc.
Sleipner hasve better edge retention.
Both have similar toughness.

Back