Looking again

Been awhile but I'm lurking again which is dangerous. Been super broke.

Just seeing the great folks on this sub forum is worth the look. Andys work is looking better than ever.

Currently own a Hunter and Monarch. The Monarch goes into my rotation once a month for a week at a time. The Hunter hasn't seen any time except for today. I use the Monarch at work (alarm technician-helping to strip thick wire coating or notching out Sheetrock and wood and a multitude of other tasks. I haven't been able to play around much with the Hunter lately.

Window shopping lately and am considering another Fiddleback in my rotation to compliment the Monarch.
The Bushcrafter really kills me but I'm a little worried it'll be too long outside the waist in leather. The Hunter in Rick Lowe sheath is about an inch and a half too long. Could be the sheath or that the Hunter is longer than a bushcrafter would be idk.

Other work carry ideas are:
Bushcrafter JR
KE Bushie
Hiking Buddy
Bush boot

Any thoughts on this? Blade profile and size and handle shape comments and ideas all welcome here. I like Joufuu a lot so he'd most likely get the sheath nod as my Monarch sheath rules

Rich

It's great to see a couple of fine FF user's posted! And that Hunter in Osage is a sweet looking blade BTW!! No doubt every response you get here you'll probably get a different "favorite" reply with good reasons to support their choice. So here's mine. I do have a Bush Crafter which is too big for me as an EDC or a work knife. I have a couple of Bush boots, which I do have in my rotation that feel very comfortable in the hand and not too big to gain unwanted attention. I recently "Test Drove" a Patch for a couple of weeks and plan on getting one. It has a utilitarian appeal to me and also not too big to carry comfortably. Currently I'm carrying an EDKarda which suits my particular needs very well as an EDC User. Every blade you have listed would be a good option. That said it will likely come down to getting one in your hands...Good Luck!

Last edited:
That's a sweet Hunter.

I'd go for a Handyman personally over both the Hiking Buddy and KEB.

Compliment the Monarch in terms or what? Work carry to switch between the two? If I were in your shoes I'd be looking at the Handyman, Bushraptor if you can find one, BC Karda or Bushboot. Probably in that order. The BC Jr. is nice by all accounts but if you are poking holes in sheetrock you probably want something pointier.

Wow the Handyman is perfect. Definitely in 1/8 or 3/32. My Monarch is 1/8.

The Handyman is definitely one to consider. Depending on your uses you might want a 3/32 but if you go 1/8" I'd suggest going for a tapered tang. It makes the balance just awesome (just my opinion of course).

One of my favorite all-arounders, which happens to be on my belt right now ...
DeadpoolRubyHandyman-vi.jpg

Man that's hot. 3/32 it is. Maybe ISP or crossdraw. You guys have found my next one.

Going to be really hard to wait.

Last edited:
... Window shopping lately and am considering another Fiddleback in my rotation to compliment the Monarch.
The Bushcrafter really kills me but I'm a little worried it'll be too long outside the waist in leather. The Hunter in Rick Lowe sheath is about an inch and a half too long. Could be the sheath or that the Hunter is longer than a bushcrafter would be idk.

Other work carry ideas are:
Bushcrafter JR
KE Bushie
Hiking Buddy
Bush boot

Any thoughts on this? Blade profile and size and handle shape comments and ideas all welcome here. I like Joufuu a lot so he'd most likely get the sheath nod as my Monarch sheath rules

Rich

I have a Hiking Buddy and a BC Jr. The HB gets most of the carry because of the somewhat narrower blade and the spear point. It just seems to be more useful and maneuverable in a variety of everyday chores. The BC Jr. is probably my fav FbF just for the look and feel. I love stout blades and that one sure fits the bill. But I use smaller and narrower blades more, so the HB gets the nod most of the time.

I carry in a variety of sheaths from Rick Lowe, Diomedes, and Sharpshooter and it's comfortable and secure in all of them. The HB is just an outstanding "whatever, wherever" everyday fixed blade.

I can't help but think the sneaky Pete family would be a very useful design. I just noticed that there is a mini asp. Seems like it'd be rare to see but a good candidate as well.

I'm still trying to find my footing within the vast world of Fiddleback Forge knives, but I do have a few of the candidates you mentioned in your OP....

I spend most of my day behind a desk and monitor. My EDC applications are neither rigorous nor adventurous. So for me, the Hiking Buddy is just so nice. The OAL and general design keep it low profile enough. The drop point blade on the HB suits me better than the straight spine of the Patch and the like. The Handyman is also a great option; I just don't need anything bigger than the HB. The KEB is the ideal bushcraft/woods knife; it's amazing. One other knife you might throw into the mix is a BC Karda – it's sooooo ergonomic, and I love the point on the blade. Good luck!

The bc karda does look very nice. I agree fully on the spear point vs the straight spine. I much prefer spear point.

Handyman
Hiking Buddy
BC Karda

Last edited:
I can't help but think the sneaky Pete family would be a very useful design. I just noticed that there is a mini asp. Seems like it'd be rare to see but a good candidate as well.

Do you mean "Asp" or "Mini Asp"? I don't believe I've ever heard of a Mini Asp and the sticky with the models listing is pretty comprehensive and doesn't list one there. If you've come across one, would you mind sharing a link please?

I've got 3 Asps and love em - great model as well. They run 8.25" OAL with blade lengths of 3.63" to 3.75". I know it doesn't sound like a lot but an Asp scaled down to have a 3 3/8" blade would be great in my opinion. The blade tends to have a bit of a "stabbity stab" look going for it so a blade nearing 4" could be a little intimidating to knife unfriendly people.

Forgive me, I looked at Mistwalkers review again and it says Asp, mini review. It's a mini review not an asp mini...review

Forgive me, I looked at Mistwalkers review again and it says Asp, mini review. It's a mini review not an asp mini...review

Awwww, you had me all excited there. LOL Still one to look at :D

I spend most of my day behind a desk and monitor. My EDC applications are neither rigorous nor adventurous.

This sounds like me but with 3 monitors :)

I don't have a Hiking Buddy with me today but do have both a Handyman and a Bushnub II. Among my 40+ Fiddlebacks, I tend to go to these two most often. I like the guardless aspect of the Handyman but the Bushnub II gives you just a bit more blade, a very comfy handle (I wear 2XL gloves) and a slightly shorter handle if you're going for concealability. You can't go wrong with either a Hiking Buddy, a Handyman or the Bushnub II. I've pestered the hell out of Phillip for the old style Bushnub to be resurrected and that would be my ideal .. basically a Bushnub II but with a slightly taller blade and guardless.

Likewise, good luck to the OP in your search but if you just buy one of each, you'll be covered. (yeah, that whole $$ thing can get in the way)

Edit: Note that these are lined up at the beginning of the cutting edge of the blade.
BushnubIIandHandyman-vi.jpg

Back