Looking for a compact utility folder

I'm in the market for a folding knife I can keep in my jeans during work hours. I'll be using it to cut plastic straps, break down cardboard, etc. The main factors I'm concerned with: Lightweight but strong. One-hand opening. Solid pocket clip. Non-threatening, working blade appearance (since I'll be using it at my job). Retains edge reasonably well. Sub $80 USD.

Right now I'm looking at the Cold Steel Tuff Lite. At around 6 inches total, it's a pretty ideal size for my needs, but I'd appreciate any input you guys have.

20LT.jpg

Tuff Lite is a great little knife. Spyderco Dragonfly is another excellent little knife with a lightweight handle and a non-threatening appearance that is ideal for a work environment. If I had to pick between the two it'd be a tough call because they are both so good. The Dragon Fly will probably be a better slicer and the Tuff Lite will probably have a stronger tip.

If you can manage something abit bigger Spyderco Delica is an ideal knife I find for any work task. Just can't be beat as it is small enough to be non threatening and big enough to do any task a folding knife can do. With the Tuff Lite and the Dragonfly you will feel like you are using a "mini" knife, whereas you won't feel that at all with the Delica.

You already have the right answer, you can't beat the Tuff Lite. I have most of the popular small, non-threatening Spyderco knives and IMO the CS Tuff Lite beats all of them.

For bonus non-threatening points it now comes in a variety of happy playskool colors too.

Have you looked at the Spyderco Delica wharncliff?

Other than that, I'd say the Mini Tuff is a great pick.

The Tuff Lite is an okay knife. I own one and have recommended them. If you do a lot of cardboard cutting, you may need to sharpen it more often than a higher end steel.

My main criticism of the Tuff Lite is the fit & finish being a bit rough. I really have to press on the lock to close it. Some lub helped but still a bit rough. Always thought if they upgraded the steel, it could be a GREAT knife versus a good knife for the money. My answer to the Tuff Lite was to get the Spyderco Kiwi 4 which I like better and more compact in the pocket. There is however a fairly big difference in street price.

Added: I just noticed that your picture of the Tuff Lite is almost actual size on my computer which I find interesting.

Another vote for the Dragonfly. I keep one clipped in each back pocket (not jeans) and I don't even notice that they are there. Perfect for utility tasks.

For 80$ I say grab up a used delica zdp-189 or hap40 and your golden! I use this knife everyday and not babied or worrying about hitting stone counters and this steel is just amazing. Sharpening only to a toothy edge from the factory and still going strong. Worth every penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09038dce8a9e424c616975a5043ca466.jpg

It's too bad that they don't offer the tuff and tuff lite in xhp...
Afaik they are only available in aus-8...

I would agree with a Delica in an upgraded steel.

I bought a couple of regulars, and one mini. I gave away two as gifts. I really haven't used my remaining one. I am a little hesitant to have to re-sharpen knives that have irregular shapes/edges.
They are almost giving away Kershaw Thistles. The Thistle has a lot of belly! I also like my large, stonewashed, CRKT Drifter. They are both about the same size, and can be operated with one hand. For actual work, I like cheaper knives with short, wide blades.

Last edited:
The Tuff Lite is an okay knife. I own one and have recommended them. If you do a lot of cardboard cutting, you may need to sharpen it more often than a higher end steel.

My main criticism of the Tuff Lite is the fit & finish being a bit rough. I really have to press on the lock to close it. Some lub helped but still a bit rough. Always thought if they upgraded the steel, it could be a GREAT knife versus a good knife for the money.

In the seven or eight of them I've bought (between minis and regulars) I haven't had any issues with the locks being hard to operate. The fit and finish does need some work, though. On all of them I grind the edge of the blade spine down to at least break the edge, for comfort, and on the ones I keep as folders I just sand all the sharp spots on the handle slabs (after taking the knife apart, of course).

The reason I have some of the dedicated for non-folding use is that I carve wood as a hobby and like them with bulked up handles like this (regrettably they end up looking like homemade prison shanks as a result):

6rHWZnk.jpg

I have a zdp-189 dragonfly and AUS-8 or not, IMO the Tuff Lite is just a wildly superior knife to use by comparison. Once the rough edges are smoothed out a little as described above, I don't think you can beat the ergos in use (assuming your use is compatible with a straight edge--if you need belly, obviously you're going to want to look elsewhere).

In the seven or eight of them I've bought (between minis and regulars) I haven't had any issues with the locks being hard to operate. The fit and finish does need some work, though. On all of them I grind the edge of the blade spine down to at least break the edge, for comfort, and on the ones I keep as folders I just sand all the sharp spots on the handle slabs (after taking the knife apart, of course).

Maybe I just got a "bad one" in terms of depressing the lock to close the knife. But I doubt it. Compared to every Spyderco I own, it is 3x as hard to depress the lock. It is still functional however. I chalk it up to being a $30 knife which makes it "okay". Out of the box, it was one of the sharpest knives I have handled. Compared very well to my Benchmade Mini Barrage in terms of factory sharpness.

Maybe I just got a "bad one" in terms of depressing the lock to close the knife. But I doubt it. Compared to every Spyderco I own, it is 3x as hard to depress the lock. It is still functional however. I chalk it up to being a $30 knife which makes it "okay". Out of the box, it was one of the sharpest knives I have handled. Compared very well to my Benchmade Mini Barrage in terms of factory sharpness.

In terms of ease of lock-use, I would agree that the mini Tuff-lite in particular is a bit tricky - the spring is STRONG and you need full depression to disengage the lock and there isn't much handle there to work with as a one-handed operation. AT the same time, that strength is exactly what gives me confidence in the mini Tuff-lite - when engaged, I have full confidence in that lock regardless of the leverage I am placing on the knife. I cannot say the same for the Dfly2. It is a dainty knife with excellent utility, but I hesitate to use it as hard and the sleek design doesn't really lend itself to heavy use anyway. The mini tuff-lite is much more robust both in handle and blade and so more comfortable in heavy use, and the lock only adds to that aspect.

To the OP, I would put to you, do you want the knife to be lighter and sleeker and easier to manipulate but less suited to very heavy work, or more robust for heavy work but a little less easy to operate? The former is the Dfly2, the latter is the mini tuff-lite. In either case, both are excellent affordable knives, imho.

Have you looked at the Spyderco Delica wharncliff?

Other than that, I'd say the Mini Tuff is a great pick.

THIS! Check it out on You Tube.

You owe it to yourself to look at the new Delica. Get a second one with the standard blade for your EDC. Just think how cool it would be to have the same basic handle ergonomics for both your work knife and your EDC. That would be puss.

In terms of ease of lock-use, I would agree that the mini Tuff-lite in particular is a bit tricky - the spring is STRONG and you need full depression to disengage the lock and there isn't much handle there to work with as a one-handed operation. AT the same time, that strength is exactly what gives me confidence in the mini Tuff-lite - when engaged, I have full confidence in that lock regardless of the leverage I am placing on the knife. I cannot say the same for the Dfly2. It is a dainty knife with excellent utility, but I hesitate to use it as hard and the sleek design doesn't really lend itself to heavy use anyway. The mini tuff-lite is much more robust both in handle and blade and so more comfortable in heavy use, and the lock only adds to that aspect.

To the OP, I would put to you, do you want the knife to be lighter and sleeker and easier to manipulate but less suited to very heavy work, or more robust for heavy work but a little less easy to operate? The former is the Dfly2, the latter is the mini tuff-lite. In either case, both are excellent affordable knives, imho.

I don't think that's typical. My Tuff Lites (2 now, one was gifted away) have both been among the easiest triad locks to operate that I've owned. Certainly no more difficult than the lock on my Delica or Pacific Salt. That said, I've found the Triad lock to be inconsistent in that regard, some unlock very easily, some are real thumb breakers.

Kershaw Shuffle or Shuffle II. Both have sub 3in blades plus bottle openers and flat head screw drivers/prybars built in. 20-30 bucks. I have the Shuffle II and I love it. It has a tanto blade though do that might come across as menacing. The Shuffle has a drop point but is a tad smaller

Just carry two! Go with a spyderco or benchmade on the pocket clip, and sink a traditional peanut/stockman/whatever in your pocket with your keys. That way you have the option for discretion when you want to use that "non-threatening" blade, but still also have a more capable tool if you require it. I do that quite often.

Coincidentally, what do you consider a threatening looking blade?

The trouble is not what we think is threatening. It's what others do. Sadly, sometimes even a macguyver style SAK scares the crap out of some. Just be aware of the kind of people around you.

I like the Tuff Lite. I'd be happier with a better steel, but AUS 8 is easy to sharpen.
Which is a good thing, if you cut much card board.

Back