Looking for my first spyderco. PM2, Delica, Endura

Would the s30v pm2 be easier to resharpen compared to something like s110v or m390
I have no experience with knives in m390 or s30v so no opinion. I have a couple s35v and one s110v that take a bit of time to put an edge on but not terrible imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One last question that's a bit off topic of my thread but the handle on the kershaw blur and benchmade griptilian fits me perfectly. Anyone know some good edc knives with a handle length of 4.5 inches to 4.65 inches?

0329e8447328f0d7ddb166117022cc34.jpg

Just got a house of blades exclusive Kershaw Link in a trade here on BF that's pretty sweet. Well made (in Oregon), has a 4.4" handle.
Mines in s35vn and has a custom pocket clip but the standard (non HOB) version is 420HC and can be had for about $40. I may pick one up for a user and preserve the one I have.

I also like the looks of the Launch 1...
CPM154... 4.6" handle... 3.375 blade length

0329e8447328f0d7ddb166117022cc34.jpg

Just got a house of blades exclusive Kershaw Link in a trade here on BF that's pretty sweet. Well made (in Oregon), has a 4.4" handle.
Mines in s35vn and has a custom pocket clip but the standard (non HOB) version is 420HC and can be had for about $40. I may pick one up for a user and preserve the one I have.

I also like the looks of the Launch 1...
CPM154... 4.6" handle... 3.375 blade length

I have a launch 5 and it feels great in my hand. Love the kershaw emersons. Due to me living in Oregon my dad had kershaws a lot of the time so every year we go to the warehouse sale. Thats how I got my auto. But I think I might be done with my assisted knives. Just to annoying to close compared to some thing like a skyline or my griptilian.

But I think I might be done with my assisted knives. Just to annoying to close compared to some thing like a skyline or my griptilian.

I can totally agree, I don't carry assisted knives, or autos very often for that very reason. If your open to spending a little more money and you like the Emerson collabs you can go in the ZT direction.
I just got a 0620cf as my first ZT and liked it so much I sold some stuff to buy a 0452cf. If you don't like tanto blades like the 0620 look at the 0630...

Here's my 620cf in M390
f4834950992ba20e96738677bf06f592.jpg

Right now I am down with two knives to pick between. (Eventually will have both but just want one right now.) Those two are the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 s30v and the Manix 2 LW s110v. (I like the s110v color on the FRN better than the g10 on s110v pm2 and manix 2)

Edit: I am also considering the m390 version of the PM2

Last edited:
go with PM2 as your first spyderco, it has more of a neutral handle while the manix really locks your hand into position and the compression lock is easier to open and close compared to the manix ball lock

Personally, I prefer the Manix over the PM2. And the Endura over the Manix! The Manix is going to be a little more robust in build and it fits my needs better than the PM2. I have lots of Spydies, but tend to grab one of my Manix or Endura blades most of the time.

Right now I am down with two knives to pick between. (Eventually will have both but just want one right now.) Those two are the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 s30v and the Manix 2 LW s110v. (I like the s110v color on the FRN better than the g10 on s110v pm2 and manix 2)

I'm not too keen on the blurple G10 either. So I fixed it. But perhaps it's a bit soon to be mentioning after market scale options to you.

DSC00295_zpsukltw44v.jpg

Also, consider a Spyderco Sharpmaker to go with your knife if you do not already have one. The best way to maintain an edge.

Man if you are getting a PM2 get the m390 version. M390 is a significantly better steel than s30v. Despite all that it is not harder to sharpen than s30v and in some ways I find it even easier. M390 is one of the best steels for a folding knife in my opinion and while I am biased becaise I don't love s30v I think most will agree m390 is better.

Man if you are getting a PM2 get the m390 version. M390 is a significantly better steel than s30v. Despite all that it is not harder to sharpen than s30v and in some ways I find it even easier. M390 is one of the best steels for a folding knife in my opinion and while I am biased becaise I don't love s30v I think most will agree m390 is better.

Alright well I was thinking about that one but I will have to wait to see if I can buy the m390 one right now just due to my budget

I'm not too keen on the blurple G10 either. So I fixed it. But perhaps it's a bit soon to be mentioning after market scale options to you.

DSC00295_zpsukltw44v.jpg

Also, consider a Spyderco Sharpmaker to go with your knife if you do not already have one. The best way to maintain an edge.

My god that is a beautiful handle! I might have to do that or do it with the m390 version because I am not the biggest fan of that blue. Where did you get those handles?

I have no experience with knives in m390 or s30v so no opinion. I have a couple s35v and one s110v that take a bit of time to put an edge on but not terrible imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on what you use to sharpen, in my experience s30v does not like to be polished, it seems to work best with a lower grit (600ish) and on diamonds then finished on white ceramic and strops.

has a good bite and will be hair poppin' sharp

I have similar results with s110v

M390/CPM 20CV/CTS-204P seems to sharpen better then both and is more accepting of higher polishes.

But in the end, I wouldn't scoff at s30v, hope you enjoy your Pm2, that's Spyderco's flagship folder and for good reason.

later, you should defiantly check out the delica, which is something you just have to buy and use to truly understand.

I'm fairly new to BF and Spyderco as well. I've carried a Benchmade mini grip for a long time, then came here to learn about more knives and broaden my horizons.

I started out with a Delica and then added a PM2. If I had to do it over again, I would do it in the exact same order. IMO the Delica is a spectacular knife. Incredibly light, pocket friendly, and an unparalleled slicer. For the price, it can't be beat. The PM2 has a more substantial grip and a bigger blade, but the thickness of the blade and the sheer size in the pocket both make me appreciate the Delica more. Granted, I'm an office dweller, so my needs may well be different than yours.

My one complaint about Spyderco's is how much the blade sticks out of the handle when closed. This is by design, with the spydie hole. Still, when folded up it takes up a whole lotta pocket room. Especially the PM2. The PM2 has a huge handle. Fits the hand well, but you'd think you're going to be opening up a 4"+ knife given the size of the handle. And then you have all that blade sticking out above the handle so you can get to the spidey hole to open it.

The other thing I've come to experience with both of these is how relatively flat these knives are. I love the contouring on the mini grip and how it just falls in the hand awesomely. Both the Delica and PM2 are fairly flat in terms of contouring on the scales. The Delica just disappears in the pocket because of that, but IMO suffers a bit in terms of hand-holding comfort. The PM2 is much more substantial so it fills the hand more, but still suffers from the relative flatness of the scales. I wish it had a bit more curvature to make it just a bit more comfortable to grip.

While I like and appreciate both knives, I've come to realize I prefer a more curvy and contoured scale. And as much as folks sing the praises of the PM2, I'll say that I prefer the Griptillian series. IMO neither the PM2 nor the Delica are as satisfying to open & close as an Axis lock equipped Benchmade. I like the PM2, but I could easily see myself selling / trading it off down the road. I have a full size grip coming my way. Given how much I love the mini grip, I doubt I'll feel the same way about that one.

Those are RGT (Ripps Garage Tech) marbled CF.

There are also some awesome scale makers here on BF, I also have scales from Steve Ketchen and highly recommend his work. There are more in the link below.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/870-The-Custom-Shop-Services-Offered
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1192333-Sketchen-Scales-Customs

Whilst I quite like S30V, I do agree with what Lapedog is saying about M390. More expensive for sure, but you only have to buy it once.

Your wallet is in horrendous peril! Run!! Hide!!!

Those are really the three I have been looking at.

Well you are looking at the right ones.

Here's the REAL STORY :

Para 2 . . . fun to play with; nice action; slab sided handle good in the pocket.
Delica . . . small; easy to carry; occasional lighter use; very nice knife; thin in the blade (I like thin blades)
Endura 4 . . . this is where it is at if you want to have a great comfortable knife for lots of cutting and the most versatile length in handle and blade IMO. Better for everything from food prep to farm work and everything in between. I can recommend the ZDP-189 (careful . . . it is extra hard and can chip a little).

Para 3 . . . Nah dude, nah the others are better . . . if you like it the Para 2 is more. After all more is better.
In other words I don't find the Para 2 to have a long blade why would I want a shorter one ?

Those are RGT (Ripps Garage Tech) marbled CF.

There are also some awesome scale makers here on BF, I also have scales from Steve Ketchen and highly recommend his work. There are more in the link below.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/870-The-Custom-Shop-Services-Offered
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1192333-Sketchen-Scales-Customs

Whilst I quite like S30V, I do agree with what Lapedog is saying about M390. More expensive for sure, but you only have to buy it once.

Your wallet is in horrendous peril! Run!! Hide!!!

I can't tell but from the thread I found it looks like it is close (The RGT one) I have been looking and have found some cool scales. Two scales that look amazing and I might have to find would be https://g10.lt/?p=4729 and https://g10.lt/?p=4794

Edit: Found the website! If I could get one of those eventually I might end up with an s110v one or m390

Last edited:
Back