Loosening of Red Loctite

So I saw you can send in your spyderco to get the screws loosened but doesnt anyone know the turnaround time of how long they will take before sending the knife back? I know they must have a good volume of knives going in and out of their service center.

I recently sent in a new PM2 and turn around time was two weeks.
It was 5-7 days at Spyderco, remainder USPS time.
The detent was very week and I request a change out.

While it was at Spyderco, I also requested change to Blue Loctite grade 243.
They stated as an option, I could request no Loctite however, the main pivot screw would not hold position very long.

Regards,
FK

Maybe I got lucky but i purchased this kobalt screwdriver set.https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-18-Piece-5-in-Multi-Bit-Screwdrivers/4176915
And used it on my manix 2 s110v after the warranty update a few weeks ago. I had no trouble with loosening them. it of course took a little muscle strength but it loosened pretty easily I think. Especially since I've hear of so many people having trouble.
thats almost the exact one i got. i got this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Kob...-x-5-3-in-Variety-Pack-Screwdriver/1000026849

the bits started to round so i stopped. i even used a hairdryer but they didnt budge at all.

YMMV. When you break enough of them down, you will invariably run into trouble pieces. I disassembled some where mechanical torque applied with proper tools did the job, others which required repeated applications of heat applied with a temp-controlled soldering iron + locking pliers + mechanical torque and everything else in between. Some screws with no threadlocker, others where the threadlocker overflowed the shoulder of the screw and everything else in between. Say nothing about the time spent wire brushing screws and sleeves clean. Fortunately, those days are in the past.

Last edited:
One of the members here shared the secret with me when I was changing the scales on my pm2. Use a soldering iron and heat up the screws. I left the soldering iron on heat screw for about 12 seconds and they came out without the slightest issue

While the torx driver is inserted inside the torx screw head, hold the base over a flame for a few moments. Heat will quickly flow into all contiguous metal. Slowly torque the driver until it starts to turn. Works every time.

There are a few methods to releasing red loctite. spyderco recommends these steps ... https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74060

How to Remove Stubborn Screws from a Knife

According to the manufacturers of Loctite 263, the red Loctite used on Spyderco’s US-made knives, screws treated with it can be removed by applying heat. However, its specifications state that a temperature of more than 360 degrees Fahrenheit must be reached for it to soften. Such temperatures could easily damage the scales and other components of your knife. Instead, we recommend the following process:

1) Ensure that you have the proper size Torx® driver for your screws and that the driver head is in good condition. A single-piece, screwdriver-style driver works best.
2) Place your knife on a workbench or other hard surface. Use a paper towel or rag to protect the handle from scratches.
3) Insert the tip of the Torx driver into the screw head and ensure that it fits properly.
4) Tap the handle of the driver several times with a hammer to “shock” the screw and break the Loctite bond.
5) Maintain a firm, constant, downward pressure on the Torx driver as you rotate it to remove the screw.
6) If this method is not successful on the first try, repeat as necessary or return your knife to Spyderco with $5.00 for return shipping. We will loosen your knife’s screws upon request.

some people boil the knaf, some people use hair dryer or hot air gun. others will use a soldering iron to heat up the screw.

not all spyderco's have red loctite. if you cannot easily remove the pivot or screws, dont try and torque that screwdriver as hard as you can... first resolve the resistance by trying the tips while also taking into consideration what that can do (eg, dont use a soldering iron on your scales, they will melt. dont use a heatgun or hair dryer too hot or static position that it melts your scales. etc. read the quote by spyderco, as it states 360 degrees Fahrenheit needs to be reached in order to achieve the unlocking of red loctite. again, this can cause scales to melt.

There are a few methods to releasing red loctite. spyderco recommends these steps ... https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74060

some people boil the knaf, some people use hair dryer or hot air gun. others will use a soldering iron to heat up the screw.

not all spyderco's have red loctite. if you cannot easily remove the pivot or screws, dont try and torque that screwdriver as hard as you can... first resolve the resistance by trying the tips while also taking into consideration what that can do (eg, dont use a soldering iron on your scales, they will melt. dont use a heatgun or hair dryer too hot or static position that it melts your scales. etc. read the quote by spyderco, as it states 360 degrees Fahrenheit needs to be reached in order to achieve the unlocking of red loctite. again, this can cause scales to melt.

Totally wrong in practice. 360 degrees to completely break down the polymerized bond of red loctite, which is most certainly unnecessary for our purposes.

In practice, you need to get the screws up to about 140-160 degrees and the bond is significantly weakened. Not trying to sound like a know it all, just offering up some useful info gained through years of experience. :)

Totally wrong in practice. 360 degrees to completely break down the polymerized bond of red loctite, which is most certainly unnecessary for our purposes.

In practice, you need to get the screws up to about 140-160 degrees and the bond is significantly weakened. Not trying to sound like a know it all, just offering up some useful info gained through years of experience. :)
that's what spyderco said per the spec of there product. I too have had success with less heat on some of mine. others were more difficult.

Back