LT Fighter with vintage micarta

AVigil

Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Platinum Member
I stretch out my LT Sneak into a fighter. This is in .190" thick AEB-L with 62c liquid nitrogen cryogenic treatment.

The blade is 5 3/8" long and OAL is 10.25. It is hollow ground with a nice swedge.
The scales are vintage micarta with red and black liners.

This is an evolving design, and happy with the first one :)

ERmow78.jpg

XPEwbsm.jpg

jz2pV5K.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I think you should be. That's terrific.

FWIW, that's the objectively right shade of orange for a knife handle. ;)

Oh, I think you should be. That's terrific.

FWIW, that's the objectively right shade of orange for a knife handle. ;)
That actually is red :)

Yes Adam, tapered tang... knew you would come round buddy.

That is very nice indeed pal. You should experiment more with handle shaping and contours. Make her more curvy ;)

Your avatar still freaks me out...

Yes Adam, tapered tang... knew you would come round buddy.

That is very nice indeed pal. You should experiment more with handle shaping and contours. Make her more curvy ;)

Your avatar still freaks me out...
Thanks,

Tapered tangs are great, but should be used to help balance a blade. This one balances right at the finger grooves. On large blades with tapered tangs while it looks great the missing weight throws the balance toward the tip and that is the last place you want it.

The curves are subtle on this one for sure, in the hand it indexes well and the grip quickly locks in.

I could have curved it more but I would need someone with girly hands to test it on :p

another nice one ! i had to restrain myself from buying that black one with the while liners you listed a few days ago, i just have too many knives :) if you dont want to use the common loveless sculpted handle curves, keep it the way it is and just use a much larger radius on the edges, but keep the front at the guard bold and square like it is, and start the transition at the front of the curved guard scoops. i think that would add a lot of sex appeal. just my 2 cents.

another nice one ! i had to restrain myself from buying that black one with the while liners you listed a few days ago, i just have too many knives :) if you dont want to use the common loveless sculpted handle curves, keep it the way it is and just use a much larger radius on the edges, but keep the front at the guard bold and square like it is, and start the transition at the front of the curved guard scoops. i think that would add a lot of sex appeal. just my 2 cents.

Yessssss... I have been waiting for you to stretch this design! I agree with John's idea regarding the handle. I really like what Spyderco did with the handle on their Lum Tanto fixed.

I may give that a go :thumbsup:

Well done sir! At nearly 2 inches of blade thickness 1.90" I could see why you would need a tapered tang;)........

Back in the shop after work and it is only 100 degrees :)

I went back rounded the handle some more. I don't want the liners showing on profile so this is a far as it goes :)
I do like it better so thanks for the suggestions.

wYJ5zD5.jpg

Last edited:
I like it man. Nice choice of color as well.
Thanks, there is something about red liners that just make a knife look better.

looks good, less blocky in the hand :)
Thanks,

I have very big hands :rolleyes:
But you made a good call. By rounding it more at the top and tapering from the middle to the bottom and making the curve more convex it feels much better, in my wife's hand.

I must remember to accommodate the wee folk:D

I do like having a flat on top and on the bottom to index the grip. Handles that are shaped like eggs are just to wonky to the feel to me.

Probably comes for my love of Coffin handles and Sheffield Bowies over the years.:thumbsup:

Sheath set up.

I do not like making sheaths but I do love a nice kydex and the click it makes ;)

Back