Lyme disease ,tick control

This time of year we start spending more time outdoors ,at least here in NY.
Permethrin is the pesticide used to treat clothing. You can DIY or now pre-treated clothing is available as ElimiTick treated clothing . This is made for the outdoor type [of course ] , camo etc.
Also check the latest info from the CDC.

I just picked up some of the clothing... it lasts 70 washes vs doing it yourself, which only lasts 5-10 washes and then have to re apply.

I recommend tick tubes around your house, its a tube with permathin coated stuff in it. the wild life get it and spread it around to hopefully prevent ticks.

Been having good luck with the new craghoppers stuff. Not sure if it will last longer than the 70 wash stuff, but they claim it will.

Should have kept my mouth shut ---there was a tick on my arm this morning !!

Yikes, mete! Thank you for staying on the case of Lyme disease, spread by ticks. I have not yet found a tick here, yet am wary from learning about the spread North and of the general lack of awareness in the North of this spread. I do not know anyone who takes preventative measures against ticks here. I do watch but have never been moved to take precautions.

At this time I am wishing the new BF format would show location info in these threads. Geography involves people and their neighbours.

Stay on it, please. Lyme can be life threatening, crippling and debilitating.

In 2015 there was an enormous spread of ticks. I live in the NY/NJ/PA area a known hot spot. But in 2015 it quickly spread to western PA, then OH, then IN [the "tick free state" ! ] WI, MN had high numbers also
A Goggle check gives info on all tick borne problems. The big problem has been the medical establishment which has been reactionary [" It's all in your mind" ! ], holding back research. It's so common now things have changed . CDC has the latest 'official' info but LYME in all respects is a very, very nasty bacteria.

I've been using the spray this spring and have not found a tic on me when wearing clothes treated with it. My wife is still not a believer so she uses Ben's in addition to the spray.

There is no medical establishment, just voices that yell loudest. Since Lyme has so many weird aspects to it, and the conspiracies that surround it are so wild, its no wonder there is misinformation out there. As I read the article it was more about them trying to figure out why we are so far behind in research. Part of it is that the reporting requirements for lyme would have drained the budgets of many small DNR offices at a time when funding was extremely low. Add to that all the false "medical" advice that causes people to fly to mexico for multi-thousand dollar scam treatments. Hopefully this research and getting more parties involved will further our understanding, so that we have more than a treatment that is a shotgun approach from decades past.

In 2015 there was an enormous spread of ticks. I live in the NY/NJ/PA area a known hot spot.

I live in NW NJ, so my woods time is either there or NE PA. I've gotten Lyme twice in as many years now. "oh look, a big red rash. Time to get some more antibiotics". Sigh... :(

I remember never having to worry about these things in my childhood. Now I just feel like I want to go outdoors only during the winter/fall. :)

PA is now the #1 tick and Lyme state !!
While permethrin is the common chemical to repel ticks a natural one is cedar oil .
Some are saying ticks are active all year long though that may depend on temperatures.

I know people and dogs here in SWPA that got Lyme from the deer ticks; when I find a deer tick in my skin (twice in last two years, both in thighs) I immediately call doctor and make them call in an antibiotic. I use Permethrin on all my gear, including my polycro ground cover. But none of this matters...

The ticks now carry Human Powassan Virus - it has no cure, causes severe neurological problems, and is potentially fatal. This just on my local news a couple minutes ago, I'm no scientist, doctor (quack), nor researcher on the subject.

Human Powassan Virus, apparently, takes 60 minutes to infect you unlike the 24 hours needed for Lyme. Your doctor/office receptionist/nurse staff/pharmacists will have you waiting a solid 5-8 hours (in my experience) before you can even go to pick up an antibiotic you asked for at the beginning of the day. Apparently there's a blood test or something for Powassan, but it will certainly matter not with the healthcare provided in this country...unless you're a celebrity or athlete, of course.

PA is now the #1 tick and Lyme state !!
While permethrin is the common chemical to repel ticks a natural one is cedar oil .
Some are saying ticks are active all year long though that may depend on temperatures.
New York, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey allow dusting for tick control; our beloved commonwealth does not.

Ticks are active all year long. I have family members that had wood ticks on them in the dead of winter (last two very mild after two very cold ones). They say ticks are most active late spring and early fall, mainly based on their life cycles, while climate does play a role in their numbers and activity.

We have ticks here that can give you an anaphylactic allergy to red meat. Something is going to kill ya, I'd rather it be freaky mother nature than stress from a desk job. Be careful out there.

They've been here for a very long time ,true survivors !. Sadly they were never elected , remember the champagne ? " I go Pogo " I never hurt one .

We have ticks here that can give you an anaphylactic allergy to red meat. Something is going to kill ya, I'd rather it be freaky mother nature than stress from a desk job. Be careful out there.
I have had that for the last 5 years or so. No cure.

The ticks keep me out of the woods at times.... sucks. Picked off about 5 ticks just the other day. None were embedded.

I own a dog grooming shop and I can tell you that ticks are very, very bad this year. We've already seen more this year than we did all of last year. Be careful out there.

Back