m390 vs vanax 37 steel

Selling a knife that has been fondled as
"never used."
is disingenuous at best, and flat out willfully wrong at worst.

If you do buy the knife, and do later on list it for sale, do it honestly.

well, that is my bad then. i will say "opened, played around with, never used to cut" instead if that's good enough for you.

but what you said here about my motivations still makes no sense at all.
The reasoning behind that is, some folks live near salt water, or have more caustic perspiration, or tend to neglect their objects. By buying the one that is least prone to negative conditions (more stain resistant, et al), one can sell a knife that otherwise would have patina or corrosion issues, as a new knife.
Especially since there is now less evident history of poor handling, misuse, or lack of precautions taken for secure storage.

Just because You do not know these things, does not mean that we do not. Due to that, your best interest is asking more questions rather than just getting defensive and argumentative.
Do you see how asking the right questions has yielded a better response?

Edit to add: I am saying this stuff in effort of helping You, not me.

I would not buy your knife. I am not a fan of Shiro's. If I am going to drop $1k, I am going to look at Rockstead.

Knives i'm choosing between are shiro 95Ts. Both are identical except the steel type and i am buying one of them for 1075$. i see them being sold used for roughly ~800-900$, so already i know by purchasing i will be hitting a loss. Again, i am not a flipper.......
the maintenance question you totally misunderstood me as well. i am asking in terms of ease of sharpening. i just bought the spyderco sharpmaker kit and am not sure if that is good enough for these grades of steel....

edit: to answer your newbie question and why i'm considering selling when i haven't even bought, it's because i just want to be somewhat financially responsible. that's literally all there is to it. im not saying i'll definitely sell it, but if that time does come, and the two blades really don't matter to me right now, why wouldn't i pick a 'better' blade in terms of resale?

I'd say the Vanax just because it is more 'exotic' and less commonly seen. I know it would be the steel I would be more interested in.

In terms of Shirogorov F95T's the older models with S90V are rarer than the S30V, M390, or Vanax37, models. But the latest version of the F95T that you asked about in the other thread is currently only available in M390.

Edit: forgot to include Elmax

There are the new MRBS T's in Vanax:
https://recon1.com/product/shirogorov-95-t-pattern-vanax-37-blade-titanium-handle-mrbs/

I was really excited to see this topic title because I was debating between a MRBS M390 T and a MRBS Vanax 37 Hati at Recon 1 a couple days ago and was disappointed to see little discussion about the blade steels. However I think the Vanax being a nitrogen steel is pretty interesting and the rarity as mentioned above was a definite factor in picking up the Hati.

Really don't think you're gonna go wrong with either steel! I have a Hati in Vanax 37, and a 95 Nudist 3 Bears and a 111 both in M390. Honestly, I think the Vanax 37 is gonna give a better edge with conventional sharpening. As far as corrosion resistance and durability, well only time will tell. Regardless, you should get good wear out of either...

The reasoning behind that is, some folks live near salt water, or have more caustic perspiration, or tend to neglect their objects. By buying the one that is least prone to negative conditions (more stain resistant, et al), one can sell a knife that otherwise would have patina or corrosion issues, as a new knife.
Especially since there is now less evident history of poor handling, misuse, or lack of precautions taken for secure storage.

Just because You do not know these things, does not mean that we do not. Due to that, your best interest is asking more questions rather than just getting defensive and argumentative.
Do you see how asking the right questions has yielded a better response?

Edit to add: I am saying this stuff in effort of helping You, not me.

I would not buy your knife. I am not a fan of Shiro's. If I am going to drop $1k, I am going to look at Rockstead.

Who authorized you to be a judge in this forum? If you do not want to help to this member you do not have to ! Nobody forces you to do that ! I will never , never again participate in this section of the forum because of such members as you are ...................:thumbsdown: And do not try to answer me, I've finished !

I think the vast majority of the members would echo the sentiments of anyone coming on basically asking how best to flip knives.

And a point well made that could be quoted in sale rules basically ... to desribe the knife as honest and openly as possible ... and buying a knife to "play with" until you are bored then listing it as unused is just crossing a line and IMHO ... theres NO place for that here ... and the fact these other members brought up these points and we try to look out for each other is because of "flippers" ... or sellers misrepresenting knives.

If you buy a knife to use ... great ... if you buy a knife to collect and that's your thing ... great ... if you buy a knife because you want to play with it for awhile and plan on selling it down the road ... again if that's your thing ... great

but expect to take at least a small loss ... and if by some chance you get something that increases in value for whatever reason consider yourself very lucky ...

if not take the small loss if you keep it in excellent shape ... list it honestly as "lightly used" ... and disclose it was just a flip toy so any buyer knows exactly what they are getting...

just as if you bought this knife for a flip toy and got it and found out it had blade play because the store owner played with it for two months before selling it to you as unused ... I doubt you'd be very pleased yourself ...

so please give the fellow forum members the same respect you would want ...

Thanks JJ

Who authorized you to be a judge in this forum? If you do not want to help to this member you do not have to ! Nobody forces you to do that ! I will never , never again participate in this section of the forum because of such members as you are ...................:thumbsdown: And do not try to answer me, I've finished !
You're right, I didn't have to help him.

But, I felt compelled to help those that are regular members to this forum. By keeping them from buying a knife that was sold as "unused" but was in fact used for everything but cutting... I mean come on, he even asked about sharpening it... That alone would make the knife not "New".

Just because I didn't help the OP by flat out answering his questions, didn't mean I didn't help him either. Did you read my post with how I suggest he list his knife honestly (and I even gave an example)?

I am glad to see that now I have to question the integrity in which any listings of yours have...
Thank you for the warning.
------
JJ_Colt45 JJ_Colt45
Thank you for understanding. Maybe Natlek will be able to understand what you wrote a little easier.

Dont the forum rule state you must be a paid gold member to discuss pricing and monetary value? The OP did ask about resale. I could be getting to plcky on this, so forgive me if so.

Dont the forum rule state you must be a paid gold member to discuss pricing and monetary value? The OP did ask about resale. I could be getting to plcky on this, so forgive me if so.
I view this as a fine line being trodden.
He doesn't outright ask for a price on a particular model, but which will likely be worth more down the line, after use, potential dropping, sharpening, handling, flipping, and a bunch of other stuff, but still it is an unused knife.?.?

If anyone wants a toy I hear fidget spinners are still popular. Knives are not toys. Also, once they've been handled, opened and closed, sharpened, etc. they are no longer new and should not be listed as such when sold.

I just want to come in and say that considering the resale value of something one purchases is a normal and reasonable thing to do. Most of us consider resale value when we buy a car. I know a lot of people when choosing which steel to get a pm2 will consider resale value. I think resale value also can work as a judge of the future and continuous desirability of a knife. If i know that one of my knives is worth more now than when i bought it, that will make me feel good about my purchase. I have never sold a knife but i have given some away as gifts. That being said, we have a newer user here, welcome by the way, who seemingly broke an unspoken rule of the forum. He was interested in potential resale value. I think many here are interested in potential resale value when they are buying an expensive knife. But just being interested in resale value does not necessarily mean that you intend to actually sell it. However, the original post left room for different interpretations of what was meant. For me personally, i did not get the impression he was coming on here to receive good advice that has been accrued by the seasoned knife folks, just for financial gain. If i did get that impression, i can certainly understand being resentful of his post. And for the thread, I know nothing about vanax37 but i do know that m390 is an impressive steel.

As I said in my previous post ... you're right many consider a resale or future value of cars houses or even knives ... and I don't think anyone was bashing the OP for that aspect ... I think it was the describing his intent to purchase a "toy" to "play with" and then hoping to sell it as new unused and either make money or break even.

And no matter how perfect the appearance of a knife ... or car for that matter ... if its been driven or in this case flipped open hundreds or thousands of times or cut a few items it sure doesn't qualify to be listed as unused ...

and the whole issue of buying with the intent on resale or flipping knives ... to some may not be any big deal but the majority of the members frown on it ... myself included ... we try to stick together and help each other and some members show extreme generosity in that manner ... so it's not so much an attack on the OP as looking out for the forum members of which the OP is welcome to join in and build the same great relationships that many have ...

but sometimes it pays to listen to a suggestion from those that came before us ... I know I've been humbled by some members help and friendship and learned alot reading and listening.

JJ

i agree with the above about the characterization of a knife as a "toy". a knife should be considered a tool, not a toy. A toy is for children to play. However, i don't think he mentioned the toy part in the original post and it is to that post i was referring. I think that only came out after the criticisms came in. But, if he intended resale in the way many are accusing him, then i would agree that it is not a good thing to be posting about.

Last edited:
I've had Shiro's in Elmax, S90v and S30v. Sold the others and kept my Hati in S30v. It's my favorite knife and the steel on it has really surprised me over the last 2 years, but that's another story...
I'm not too sure about its desirability, rarity or resale. But for what I actually use the knife (tool) for, it's the best.

wow! its been so long ! hello everyone ,and peace. I stumbled on this thread by googling a question about which steel is better? vanax 37or m390. when I read the OP. I said to myself that he asked similar questions that I would ask so I thought I would find interesting answers on the subject. to me his questions were legit. I personally didn't detect a knife flipper at all or a dishonest person. that being said. I was bitten by the knife bug many years ago. it started with Emerson's and Micro tech. 500$ was my limit. now I'm into Shirogorov and have owned 3. one of the 3 ... is a F111. when I purchased I spent 1000.oo on it. however, it really wasn't the one I wanted. just rushed and got it because I was finding them hard to get and was learning that aspect of the knife game. so on eBay I saw the F111 I really like. its a vanax 37 with fuller for the same money. mine is m390 without. that's how I stumbled on this thread.one of the things that reinvigorated me into the hobby was the secondary market. it showed me that I can purchase a knife and resell it for money back. I've seen knives that have been used, sharpened, EDC,ed . and still are able to be resold for close to what was originally paid. I'm not a knife flipper, I call myself a knife enthusiast/collector. by trying different knife makers and models , I'm narrowing down a top 10 and bottom 10. that's the extent or limit I put on my self.
the f111 is a knife that as long as I'm in this hobby I want to own. but I really like the look of the one with fuller. didn't matter if it was with m390 or vanax 37. but when I saw the one on eBay was made with vanax 37 , I said let me do some research one which steel was better and yes which one would be worth more money down the road in case I had to let it go. just don't understand what all that hostility was about ??

Back