Machete or Sword?

My friends and I were trying to figure out if this cutting tool is either a machete or a sword. I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but I'd love to here y'alls decisions. Also if you'd like to describe why it is either one that would be great. Thanks everyone!

Right click on the "?" and "Open Image in New Tab"
image_zps8mt0rlhv.jpg.html

Last edited:
I am no expert, but nothing about the profile and build says machete to me.

Short sword. Not blade shape for a machete, not enough belly, handle not right for machete.

Paul

a sword that is designed for use as a machete. Among other things...

The problem with defining something as a machete or sword is that the terms refer more to the application rather than the specific design of the weapon/tool and many examples, such as "pioneer" or "engineer" sidearms are designed to do both.

n2s

Some of my favorite types of blades are basically both at once, not2sharp. :]

This thing is a weapon that happens to also do way more than any normal machete that's made only for dealing with light vegetation. A machete doesn't need or have a large, complex full hilt with titanium handguard, or strong blade that's shaped to be able to parry and absorb violent impacts from oblique angles. It gets tested on lumber; similarly, a Japanese sword isn't a bamboo clearing tool, even though it can be tested on bamboo! :D

Just because people can "sword fight" with machetes doesn't mean they wouldn't get cleared away like brush by a fighter with a large and purpose-built sword.

e5121925795939184364aa4c025980b9.jpg

Millions have been killed in Africa and around the world in recent years by humble machetes. Don't underestimate what these tools can do aganst unarmored opponents.

n2s

That Rwanda genocide is beyond belief. The year before, the Rwandan government imported $750,000 worth of new machetes from China. Probably $2. each.

I think it's often overestimated, to be honest. An attacker wielding a machete (or ball peen hammer or bat) may be fought off using a stout stick or other common item. If they have a Super Assassin well...then you better have a shotgun! :D

There are many great swords that would be terrible trail-busting tools, I'm not knocking machetes, and love making them. But my favorites are like the one in the OP, blades that can do both duties well.

Last edited:
Yours is MUCH more of a machete(with a long handle), than Dan's.

His handle setup pretty much defines sword.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Yours is MUCH more of a machete(with a long handle), than Dan's.

His handle setup pretty much defines sword.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
It was more or less designed for brush and land clearing . So i do agree that it is much more machete like. Its great at clearing small diameter vegetation. Generally 1.5 inches or less, with one chop.

A classic mistake that sometimes occurs when a knifemaker decides to make a sword, Cold Steel is a good example, is that the sword is made with more or less the same proportions as a knife, resulting in a sword that's way too heavy for it's length. Swords are light weapons. When you look at the actual weight of medieval and renaissance era swords it sounds almost ridiculous how little they weigh and how close to the hilt the balance is. Swords generally weren't used against armor anyway, so they only need to be light enough to cut through clothes and flesh. Nimbleness and speed in hand and reach beats raw power any day of the week, when it comes to swords. I don't know the exact proportions of the blade in this thread, but unless there's some serious distal taper on it, I have a feeling I'd rather call it a big knife than a sword.

A classic mistake that sometimes occurs when a knifemaker decides to make a sword, Cold Steel is a good example, is that the sword is made with more or less the same proportions as a knife, resulting in a sword that's way too heavy for it's length. Swords are light weapons. When you look at the actual weight of medieval and renaissance era swords it sounds almost ridiculous how little they weigh and how close to the hilt the balance is. Swords generally weren't used against armor anyway, so they only need to be light enough to cut through clothes and flesh. Nimbleness and speed in hand and reach beats raw power any day of the week, when it comes to swords. I don't know the exact proportions of the blade in this thread, but unless there's some serious distal taper on it, I have a feeling I'd rather call it a big knife than a sword.

I've had the pleasure of messing with a few Super Assassins and the Super Assassin Katana, and they felt light and nicely balanced, despite how imposing they look. Really well-designed.

Some swords are light and some are heavy. Some were made for cutting armor(laminar and chain mail) and some were made for slicing flesh.

The European style swords that I have all go about 2-3 lbs....not too light, not too heavy.

Dan knows how to make a knife and how to make a sword. He's a champion cutter and knows about "feel" and about performance.

Silly generalizations are silly.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson.

I've had the pleasure of messing with a few Super Assassins and the Super Assassin Katana, and they felt light and nicely balanced, despite how imposing they look. Really well-designed.

I had the pleasure of throwing one!

Back