Machete thread, deals, steals and show what you got

I'm very surprised there is no subforum on machetes here at Bladeforums. I was wanting to post up a deal/steal for some great machetes. I know there is probably no love for where I bought these, but it's almost too good a deal to be true.

Recently bought 6 Imacasa machetes for a total of $30.97 shipped to my door. Two 14", two 18" and two 22". These were all buy one get one free deals. The 14" were $7.99 for two, the 18" were $9.99 for two and the 22" were $12.99 for two. I purchased the poly handles, but the wood handled ones are the same price and also on buy one get one free. Got them from BudK with their free shipping deal. They arrived in 4 days, so the shipping was fast. They actually have the 14" at $2.98 for one, I hadn't seen that when I ordered so I actually could have saved another couple bucks. For this kind of money, it's almost too good a deal to pass up.

I also purchased a Gavilan "sugar cane" knife, that is very similar to a Woodsman's Pal a while back for $9.99, which is also a very useful machete. The hook on top is very useful for clearing the brush out of the way after you cut it.

I also have two Ontario machetes, one is vintage and one is new, both are 18". Have three cheapo machetes that are of the "imported" variety that are pretty much junk that I wish I would have never bought, especially since this Imacasa deal came out. Those crap chinese machetes were more than the Imacasas.

So in conclusion, if you are in the market for a high quality machete for a super low price, get em' while you can.

Here is a photo of the Imacasas

I bought 22 Imacasas and one Gavilan cane knife. I figured I needed some diversity with my 50 or so Thai knives. I love those little 14" Imacasas. What's not to love for about $3.50 delivered? Zombie watermelons are not safe around my house anymore.

I think the Gavilan is really a burger flipper with a hook to snag steaks off the grille.

I noticed that the edge grind on the Imacasas is much better than a couple I got elsewhere a few months back.

Yeah, the edge grind on mine was pretty nice, sharpened up really quick with a stone and fine file.

22 is a GOOD number :), for the price these would be outstanding stocking stuffers LOL

I'm going to give some away, chop others into shorter versions with different tip shapes and just generally have a ball. It hasn't been this good since I got a bunch of Swiss Army knives with the free wallet on closeout at Target years back for $8. each. I don't carry the knives, but I've worn out two or three of the wallets, LOL.

BTW, the Imacasas with the wooden grips have really crummy Pine. Stuff I would avoid if I was scrounging pallets to re-purpose. But if you want to put on new scales, at least it's easier to remove the Pine than the poly.

I did a patina job on one 14", using Texas Pete hot sauce, ketchup and mustard. Got a wild pattern. Shades of grey, blue and black. Love it.

Oh, and thanks a lot for the heads-up on this deal.

No problem, it's almost too good to be true but it isn't. Glad you and a few others took advantage like me. I'd love to see pics of your mods when done. Yeah the poly handles are the way to go, on another forum I posted these on a guy posted that he bought some wood handled ones (unrelated to my post, he bought them and found my thread in a Google search), and all his had loose handles. I bought all poly.

I 'm loving this thread ! Thanks guys .

I'll have to take some pics of my machetes .

I'm wondering why there is no subforum for Machetes here, like add it to the swords section? Odd IMO.

I'm wondering why there is no subforum for Machetes here, like add it to the swords section? Odd IMO.
Maybe just not classy enough or not something sponsors / marketers are interested in ?

Machetes are worldwide a real life working tool of the common people and not just a toy of the elites . Not that they ain't great toys , too. Not a whole lot of snob appeal , though .

So , there are lots of great machetes available at very reasonable prices . Even at the high end , machetes tend to be moderately priced compared to swords and knives .

There seems to be much interest in high end stuff on BFC . Fancy , blingy knives and swords costing hundreds on up are popular . Or expensive vintage collectables . Regular machetes don't really fit in with that set .

Yeah, I guess that's my take too. I see lots of knives on here for $1000 to upwards of $4000. I just can't wrap my head around a knife costing $2K-$4K that never gets used and really isn't an investment. It was funny, some guy posted about some "award" winning custom knife with silver inlays, he paid I think like $4500 for it. He put it on ebay, I watched the auction, the first listing started at like $3500 or something, didn't sell, he relisted it starting at $1, I think it sold for like $550. Anyways, these $3-6 machetes will do some real work for almost no cash.

As a matter of fact here is the ended auction
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272624058654?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Talk about bad luck, seller didn't even set a reserve, what was he thinking?????

Yeah, I guess that's my take too. I see lots of knives on here for $1000 to upwards of $4000. I just can't wrap my head around a knife costing $2K-$4K that never gets used and really isn't an investment. It was funny, some guy posted about some "award" winning custom knife with silver inlays, he paid I think like $4500 for it. He put it on ebay, I watched the auction, the first listing started at like $3500 or something, didn't sell, he relisted it starting at $1, I think it sold for like $550. Anyways, these $3-6 machetes will do some real work for almost no cash.

As a matter of fact here is the ended auction
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272624058654?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Talk about bad luck, seller didn't even set a reserve, what was he thinking?????
Rich doesn't always equal smart or savvy !

This is not the place for my political rantings :mad: and it's pretty much a waste of breath anyway :( .

So , my newest machete "project" is a "Ozark Trail Parang " $7 at the WalleyMart .:) They actually CARDED me . Well , they asked if I was 16+ . I LUV being carded at my advanced age . They needn't have worried . The parang was so dull it was " slow child safe" . Only way it coulda been more childproof is to make it from nerf .:rolleyes:

It's getting to be somewhat sick-wicked after several hours of grinding and sharpening :eek:. I'm reprofiling the regular edge and putting chisel grind edges on the end and back concave spine . Makes a more versatile work machete and weapon , both .

I took it out and chopped / cleared brush for awhile yesterday and then threw it into my throwing star target ( old scrap piece of plywood attached to a firewood shed ) . Stuck it the very first time with my half-vast no-spine style :D! Of course , I couldn't repeat that again anytime soon . Other than my Cold Steel Shuriken , I can't stick anything consistently in combat throwing style (random distance while moving ):( .

The parang itself ain't nothin' special as it comes . Kinda short at 13.5" blade and too lightweight for heavy duty chopping . It was an impulse buy for sure ! My first ever parang :p. But not totally a POS :poop: . The steel doesn't seem too bad and it's thick enough to be worth playing with on the grinder and light brush clearing .

Has a full tang and a big fat orange plastic molded ergonomic handle securely screwed on . Almost too big for my medium 7.5 sz hands . o_O

Anyway , a work in progress and good clean CHEAP fun ! :cool:

P1030892_zps5rcchjtj.jpg
P1030893_zpsgdkyhyef.jpg
P1030891_zpsuu1mciv6.jpg
P1030890_zpsskc7kgau.jpg
P1030886_zpsxmgunuxb.jpg
P1030885_zps33x2sy0m.jpg
P1030882_zpsomypo36g.jpg
P1030884_zpswr02k1vn.jpg
P1030879_zpsjtlqimgs.jpg
P1030881_zps2y4sjoy4.jpg
P1030880_zps4ila3zua.jpg
P1030878_zpsyxmubykc.jpg

These 2 imicasa's are my only machetes, an 18" blade and a 14" blade.
I significantly reshaped the handles on both and gave each a cotton twine wrap that I then impregnated with beeswax. Now these pictures were taken a few month's ago when I first got them, and they definitely show some real now.
They're both light and fast, and take a hell of a beating . They're constantly chopping in or around the ground, receiving many dings in the edge but never chipping. It's easy enough to tap them back as best I can with a ball peen hammer then use a file and the included coarse stones to repair the edge in no time.
Both came very sharp as well with the decent sheaths and sharpening stone.
14$ isn't as cheap as the standard imicasa machetes, but they don't come razor sharp or with that awesome orange coating either. Even without the sheath and stone I'd jump on them in a heartbeat.

I saw that Ozark Trail Parang just this week at Wallymart. Thought it would be great for chopping cabbage, cutting a watermelon or even as a rocking pizza cutter. Let us know what you think after you have used it more. Funky handle design, though.

I got a few Marble's (Imacasa) machetes. 18" wire-wrapped, 18" panga and the 14" (scout?) that is a little narrower than the one above, black paint and has paracord on the handle. The 14" one is a little thicker steel than the Imacasa branded one, I think. 2.16 mm on one I measured. It's quite nice, though stripping that paint off the blade was tedious.

I also got six Tramontina bolos and five 14" regular machetes from Survival-Pax (going out of business). I think the delivered cost of all but the Marbles (with sheaths) averaged around $5. each. Disposable garden tools.

Did I mention I'm cheap? Recently, there was a special at Home Depot - 200 Stanley utility knife blades for $10. But then again, I'm used to getting thick, hand-forged knives and machetes from Thailand for anywhere between $1.50 to $5. I've even gotten a couple older (quality) blades without handles for maybe 50 cents at a junk yard. Who else would scrounge through a small-town junkyard in Thailand?

I saw that Ozark Trail Parang just this week at Wallymart. Thought it would be great for chopping cabbage, cutting a watermelon or even as a rocking pizza cutter. Let us know what you think after you have used it more. Funky handle design, though.

I got a few Marble's (Imacasa) machetes. 18" wire-wrapped, 18" panga and the 14" (scout?) that is a little narrower than the one above, black paint and has paracord on the handle. The 14" one is a little thicker steel than the Imacasa branded one, I think. 2.16 mm on one I measured. It's quite nice, though stripping that paint off the blade was tedious.

I also got six Tramontina bolos and five 14" regular machetes from Survival-Pax (going out of business). I think the delivered cost of all but the Marbles (with sheaths) averaged around $5. each. Disposable garden tools.
The smaller one I have pictured is the scouting machete, the narrower stripe painted one is the survival machete.
I almost thought about getting that one, but it reminded me too much of the knives my brother buys from the flea market and I didn't want to have to strip the coating. I'm glad I didn't get it too, because this orange coating on mine is tough as hell.

Marbles has two different 14" pointy machetes. The one above I guess is the "Scouting Jungle Machete ". Mine is the "black camo". The white stripes came off easily. The black coating was tough to get off.

marbles-outdoors-knives-12714cat-camo-coated-machete-with-black-cord-wrapped-composition-handles_3940650.jpg

Marbles has two different 14" pointy machetes. The one above I guess is the "Scouting Jungle Machete ". Mine is the "black camo". The white stripes came off easily. The black coating was tough to get off.
When I bought mine they were listed as the workhorse and scouting machetes, and yours was listed as the survival machete.
marbles-outdoors-knives-12714cat-camo-coated-machete-with-black-cord-wrapped-composition-handles_3940650.jpg

I thought I was getting the Super Tactical camo Night Elf Mohawk Bushranger assault/survival/rescue machete. But it came without rails for mounting accessories like a flashlight, night vision or sights. Ah well.

Just an FYI, sportsman's guide has two different lots of 5 machetes, one is "Columbian" and the other is "latin american" the columbian are $22 for 5 and the latin american are $18 for 5, both are random lots of different types/styles, if you catch free shipping it is another super deal! The guy I know who ordered two lots of the columbian received some really great machetes! Sucks they are so hung up on posting links to deals here, I don't understand that "rule" but if you have any google fu you can find them over at SG pretty easy.

Back