"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

You're welcome Lee. I like a good mystery. Probably not RR to start so could be PR or BR. The first letter also looks like it could be and M or N followed by an I? I agree the last line looks like WE so maybe WELL? Will do some investigation. Another clue is in the use of the crown. Only selected cutlers had that right.

Joseph Rodgers used the V Crown R marking more so than anyone - especially in earlier days.

Have a look in The Sheffield Knife Book ( ed 1 ) by G. Tweedale pg 257.

I m wondering if its made by Rodgers with the Merchants stamped name? or Retail outfits name whom contracted the knife?

Last edited:
In an above post there is an excerpt from a book stating that James Boden was forging knives using the alias L Rodgers Sheffield. I picked this up at a flea market last weekend by chance before I read any of this. A member helped direct me here to this thread in order to help provide me with information on the knife. It's a L Rodgers Sheffield which means it's one of the Bodens forgeries. Apparently a Victorian Scandle! Feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted i'm afraid my expertise is limited. I'm open to any information about this knife thanks!
1E5FE5B0-C953-44D9-AB81-CCAFB6337450_zpspyrp72ft.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In an above post there is an excerpt from a book stating that James Boden was forging knives using the alias L Rodgers Sheffield. I picked this up at a flea market last weekend by chance before I read any of this. A member helped direct me here to this thread in order to help provide me with information on the knife. It's a L Rodgers Sheffield which means it's one of the Bodens forgeries. Apparently a Victorian Scandle for which he appeared in court! Feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted any of this. I'm afraid my eXpertise is limited and I'm tying together clues. I would aporeceate anymore information on this.

I got a SPECTACULAR old knife in today's mail. I'm not sure of the exact age but I think it qualifies for this thread. :thumbup:

This SIX BLADE congress is marked "IXL GEORGE WOSTENHOLM CELERATED CUTLERY". All tangs are stamped. Sadly two of the blades are broken off and the manicure blade is missing the tip, but everything still has nice snap! The two main blades are stamped "Congress Knife" in two different scripts. The bolsters have fancy treatments, different on each end. And the covers, oh the covers! Gen-u-wine antique tortoise shell! The craftsmanship is top notch. Three springs and everything nests together nicely, and this is not a large knife! I'm not sure if I'm conveying the true level of my excitement with all these exclamation marks, but I'm trying!

On to the knife!

GqLOqSV.jpg

8AKTVKo.jpg

SY0S2Xt.jpg

MqoxK5t.jpg

ehp9iGD.jpg

Spectacular indeed - congrats!:thumbup:
Goins says the "IXL GEORGE WOSTENHOLM CELEBRATED CUTLERY" stamp dates c. 1850-1890.

Whoa...I really like it!! Fantastic snag. Very interesting how the bolsters are different. The level of detail is killer.:eek::eek:

Over the next few weeks I thought, if there was some interest, I would post pictures of one or two vintage Sheffield knives, mostly made in the era before mechanization and mass production.

I would like to show this pristine sportsman's knife made by W Morton & Sons, Sheffield , C 1880 ?, the knife measures 4 1/4" closed, the pocket blade measures 3" (the pile side of which is faintly inscribed with a salesmans pattern number "D 7455 245").

DSC02799-1.jpg

DSC02798-1.jpg

DSC02802-2.jpg

DSC02800-1-1.jpg

DSC02801-1.jpg

DSC02809-1.jpg
DSC02810-1.jpg

If anyone has a knife they would like to show on this thread, you are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Mick :)

When I see Sheffield, I buy, quite often.

Fantastic sleek pattern that one Phil and I suspect very rare. 6 blades in that streamlined frame is an impressive feat in itself, plus sunk-joints and different bolsters at each end. I think I see coined liners in there too, and Tortoise I find far more appealing than MOP any day. Some knives had gold leaf applied to the liners to enhance the look of the Tortoishell, any sign?

That's a really interesting catch, well done!

Regards, Will

Congratulations Philllll! The covers are lovely. I have to agree with you on the quality of those old Wostenholm knives, I love the one I have.

Chris

Nice find Phil, very interesting knife :thumbup:

Back