"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

I cleaned this one up and had to re-shape a broken blade, but it is in my pocket now! Great snap on all 4 blades still:)

Bumping this great old thread with so many incredible knives shown.

Often referred to as a "PremIer" or a "Serpentine" Cattle pattern, this is an extremely rare pattern. It was an interim pattern between "Cattle" and "Stockman". First the "Cattle", then the "Premier Cattle", then the "Stockman" as far as chronological order goes. Made in very small numbers by few manufactures. Apparently it was was far more difficult to arrange and fit a spear blade into a serpentine frame than originally thought. The "Premier Cattle" was only made for a few short years by few makers. This is a fine and rare specimen. Congratulations on a unique and rare find. I would be interested in knowing the closed length as I have a couple of examples.

Nice knife, herder!

If anyone has examples of Serpintine frames with Spear blades I would love to see them.

Hi Brad. Good to see you. It's an interesting question. I had asked in Levine's forum but unfortunately noone produced and example or catalog cut. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...out-pattern-names-Sowbelly-amp-Premier-Cattle

If you broadly consider serpentine frames, there are lots of examples with spear blades. And if you narrow down to stockman type frames then the "moose" pattern is a common example. There are also premium jacks with spear blades. But I think you mean more like herder's knife. I have this catalog cut handy (click on image to view full size). c1928 so this particular example does not predate the premium stockman though. I would have to do digging to see if I can find other examples. It's rare.

1928-spear.jpg

Nice knife, herder!

Hi Brad. Good to see you. It's an interesting question. I had asked in Levine's forum but unfortunately noone produced and example or catalog cut. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...out-pattern-names-Sowbelly-amp-Premier-Cattle

If you broadly consider serpentine frames, there are lots of examples with spear blades. And if you narrow down to stockman type frames then the "moose" pattern is a common example. There are also premium jacks with spear blades. But I think you mean more like herder's knife. I have this catalog cut handy (click on image to view full size). c1928 so this particular example does not predate the premium stockman though. I would have to do digging to see if I can find other examples. It's rare.

View attachment 681326

Actually there are not a lot of examples. Your catalog example is rare as well. As for the Moose,this does not actually qualify as it is not a Stockman.

Again, please show examples. Your catalog example is great!

Actually there are not a lot of examples. Your catalog example is rare as well. As for the Moose,this does not actually qualify as it is not a Stockman.

Again, please show examples. Your catalog example is great!

Thanks! I meant that the moose is an example of a serpentine pattern, not a stockman. Though often they use the same handle die. I agree the premier cattle and "transitional" knives are very rare. I've never seen an example in a reference book.

When I'm going through old catalogs, I'll keep it in mind and check for other examples with spear blades.

Thanks! I meant that the moose is an example of a serpentine pattern, not a stockman. Though often they use the same handle die. I agree the premier cattle and "transitional" knives are very rare. I've never seen an example in a reference book.

When I'm going through old catalogs, I'll keep it in mind and check for other examples with spear blades.

Thanks Jake

I can only hope you can turn up some more examples. I have been interested in this latter for some time.
L

Thanks Jake

I can only hope you can turn up some more examples. I have been interested in this latter for some time.
L

Brad, I dug up a few examples for you. The first is very fitting for this thread and herder's post.

1910 IXL

The following aren't made in Sheffield and I apologize for the off topic nature. I show them for comparison. They're very rare patterns and I've never seen them rounded up in a reference book or online discussion. I hope you enjoy them.

Some are exactly what you had in mind. I also threw in a few others that are a bit different but I thought you might like to see them anyway.

1902 Walden

1906 Walden

1910 Valley Forge

1922 EC Simmons Keen Kutter

1928 Blish Mize

1930 Simmons

1934 Winchester

1936 Ulster

1936 Remington

1937 Bingham

1938 Winchester

1938 Remington

Often referred to as a "PremIer" or a "Serpentine" Cattle pattern, this is an extremely rare pattern. It was an interim pattern between "Cattle" and "Stockman". First the "Cattle", then the "Premier Cattle", then the "Stockman" as far as chronological order goes. Made in very small numbers by few manufactures. Apparently it was was far more difficult to arrange and fit a spear blade into a serpentine frame than originally thought. The "Premier Cattle" was only made for a few short years by few makers. This is a fine and rare specimen. Congratulations on a unique and rare find. I would be interested in knowing the closed length as I have a couple of examples.

Thanks Jake and ptradeco. Yes, that is a fairly uncommon variation with the spear main blade in the three blade "Premier Cattle" model. (Well, maybe not so uncommon with the many great catalog cuts that Jake has shown) :)
Oddly enough though, this model was offered by Wostenholm at least as early as 1885 along with a few different "Cattle" models. It seems to disappear around WWI and about the same time that Wostenholm introduced their "Stockman" models which ran right up until the 1960s.

Excellent knives Ernie and Herder. I enjoyed the catalogue pics also. Glad to see the thread alive again. Thanks for posting.

Thanks smiling-knife, and forgot to add the handle length for ptradco which is 4 inches.

I haven't posted any knives in this thread for quite awhile so I think I have not shown this Wostenholm before.

DSC_2082%202_zpsd8sfir86.jpg

DSC_2083%202_zpskeojq5it.jpg

DSC_2084%202_zps3wimsi09.jpg

Thanks Jake and ptradeco. Yes, that is a fairly uncommon variation with the spear main blade in the three blade "Premier Cattle" model. (Well, maybe not so uncommon with the many great catalog cuts that Jake has shown) :)
Oddly enough though, this model was offered by Wostenholm at least as early as 1885 along with a few different "Cattle" models. It seems to disappear around WWI and about the same time that Wostenholm introduced their "Stockman" models which ran right up until the 1960s.

Thanks to you and Jake for the catalog clips. You guys have posted more catalog pics than I have seen actual knives! Thanks for the 4" length as well. The examples I have are all 3 3/8" or less.

Back