"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

A pocket knife fit for a King or Queen. :)
Here is an pearl folder by "Brookes & Crookes". What makes this model a bit more special is the very detailed file-work on the top and back sides of the knife.

A pocket knife fit for a King or Queen. :)
Here is an pearl folder by "Brookes & Crookes". What makes this model a bit more special is the very detailed file-work on the top and back sides of the knife.

What an exquisite specimen...wow! Thanks for the treat :D

Gev my friend, I must agree, that Brookes and Crookes knife of Herders is simply an outstanding example, a lot of cases file work can go over board, but the File Work is exceptional, along with the Shilling and of course the expert Cutlers craft of fine tuning such a complex knife to close all blades and have no blade rub- amazing and a beauty to see!

Cambertree - mate- awesome to see the photo of Slaters Building - now Jack Sir - was that the building we stood in front of - was this the one with the History of the Bullets through the Window at some stage?

Absolutely beautiful Brookes & Crookes Herder :thumbup:

Cambertree - mate- awesome to see the photo of Slaters Building - now Jack Sir - was that the building we stood in front of - was this the one with the History of the Bullets through the Window at some stage?

No Duncan, that was the The Old Crown on Scotland Street, where Sam Crookes, in the company of Jem Hallam, hit-men for the Saw-Grinders Union, shot the 'knobstick' James Lindley in the 1860's. Chin and I didn't get time to visit the Crown, which has not been open as a pub for some years now, though we came quite close to it on one of our bus journeys :thumbup:

The file-work is of exceptional quality, matched too by the coined liners, just in awe of the nesting of those blades.

I don't know about fit for a King or Queen - I'm not an enthusiast of any kind of hereditary monarchy :rolleyes::D - but whoever made it should have been paid a King's ransom for their skill and eye for beauty.:thumbup:

Thanks, Will

Thanks Jake, Herder and Duncan.

What a treat to see that Brookes and Crookes, Herder. Thank you. Does that manicure blade actually have the files cut into the bottom of a groove, so you can run your fingernails along it? If so, that's some pretty neat design, tucking away the abrasive surface like that.

This might be an opportune moment for me to drop in these pictures of Stan Shaw demonstrating how he applies his coining marks swiftly and efficiently to brass liners with a special tool.

He remarked, as Jack has noted before, that many of his tools he has had since his apprentice days, or sometimes picks up from estate sales of old cutlers workshops.

As he said 'Where could you possibly buy a tool like this?'

(In the case of disposable tools like files and saw blades, Jack had actually supplied him with some of the ones he had been using.)

Thanks, Jake, Gev, Cambellclanman, Jack, Will, S-K, Cambertree, and Lambertiana. And great picture from Cambertree of the "master", Stan Shaw at work.

Here is a "Slater Bros." take apart "slot" or "hobo" knife with horn handles and a sterling silver spoon.

Back to the top with a Sheffield George Wostenholm horseman's knife, picked this one up last week. I'm thinking this is about the oldest Sheffield knife I own. Not marked England so I assume pre 1890, also the fleam blade and the Wostenholms Celebrated Cutlery tang stamps make it older I think, first one I have found with the Celebrated.

As many functions as this knife has I am amazed at how tight everything still is, both blades are broken but still have excellent snap and no play, everything works as it should, still has the tweezers and toothpick. The tang stamps are slightly different on the 3 blades.

Maybe one of these days I can find one of these wonderful knives with no issues but I'm cheap so that could take awhile.

IMG_6585_zpsqdjbornf.jpg

IMG_6586_zpsdsnk4pig.jpg

IMG_6589_zpsiesopxbc.jpg

IMG_6592_zpsjqmgxec0.jpg

IMG_6590_zps1jbq2kg5.jpg

Thank you Jack, love these horseman's knives, such a purpose built knife.

Thank you Jack, love these horseman's knives, such a purpose built knife.

Yes, me too my friend, so rare to find them in decent condition and at a fair price though :thumbup:

Just like to show this very fine horseman's knife, the only thing I bought last year :(

The knife measures 5" , marked HARRISON BROS & HOWSON (rev SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND), CUTLERS TO HIS MAJESTY, and ALPHA. Unused and untouched, all original with nice glazed blades with patina, strong snap, perfect stag. Pretty pleased with this one, certainly one of my favourite larger knives..

Mick

That is a beautiful horseman's knife Wellington. Real sheffield craftsmanship. Nice.

I am not sure of the vintage of this Taylors Eye Witness , but I suspect that it is prior to 1930 . Any help on the age would be appreciated .

Harry

Bringing this back to top - no doubt one of my favorite threads..

"John Hart Butler" Sheffield Barehead jack with horn handles (3 3/8") - Most likely dates 1860-1890 - No England on stamp but liners and bolsters not integrated as one piece. This Butler I understand from a friend may have been listed as a John Butler - a "Pocket Knife" cutler in 1880 at 18 Fulton Rd. - there was another John Butler in the 1850s but listed as a table cutlery maker. However note John "Hart" Butler was on the stamp but not found in any of my resource books. Nonetheless it is horn handled with brass liners and pins... nothing like finding an old horn handled knife with no bug bites .... Interestingly the pen knife has a stove pipe kick but located towards end of tang (probably most clear on tang stamp photo). Nice swedge along full spine of master blade as seen on pile side photo. Anyway - seemed no doubt old and I imagine rare in terms of the stamp and maker... Nice solid knife with hard snapping blades and tight...

Any info from our Sheffield experts as to maker would be appreciated - I do understand there were many Butlers (the most well known being George Butler) so perhaps it is within the family or perhaps a small Sheffield maker which I understand were many in number but not as well known... Thanks for looking!!

Interesting knife Longblade :thumbsup: No mention of a John Hart Butler in Tweedale, but there are various obscure John Butlers. I've also looked through the various directories and apprenticeship lists I have, nothing so far, plenty of Butler's, some John Butler's, but no John H or John Hart Butler.

Last edited:
Back