Maintenance ? on certain steels.

Thanks again folks for the info and guidance. Unfortunately I do not have a smart phone (old guy) but I will get a gauge that will tell me the correct angle. I have thinking about what has been said and wondered when I would indeed use the Lansky. I do not mean anything wrong with it but now not sure. I had been using the SM and after a bit understood what it was about. I did all right for just starting out. I got the diamond rods because getting some very dull knives sharp was a long road. I figured the Lansky would be better that way with the 5 different stones.
I am not sure if I should ask here or not but here goes. I am a senior and on a budget but what would folks suggest for a guided system with the right angles?
So would everyone suggest that I leave my sister's new kitchen set the way it came, which are pretty sharp as its but I think (being picky) they could be sharper.
Thanks again for all of the help.
Regards
Tar :)

Per bucketstove, don't overthink this. The SM with diamond rods or Lansky will work fine. Exact angle also not an issue as long as not too far out of whack one way or the other. You can fold a piece of paper over a few times to get 90, 45, 22.5, 11.25 etc. rough split the difference between 22.5 and 11.25 and you have approx 17. The SM is pre-set for 15 per side and 20 degree for a microbevel and this combination works very well.

I'd let them get dull and then use the Sharpie method to feel out the existing edge angle - it probably won't be the same on every piece but who knows. If its too broad then lower it a little at a time or leave it where it is if performance is good.

On the forum we're into the details a lot more than is necessary for normal good function...

Hi again. Thanks folks for being understanding and explaining to me. Now I think that I understand that I need an angle gauge and start to understand angles. Thanks to you Bucketstove for your post because I understood a bit better.
I am beginning to learn that this sharpening is a lot to understand, but I am getting there, slowly but surely. I do enjoy it and always like to learn new things. I thought yesterday that I had a set back but now understand that I just need to get a gauge and then I will better understand the angles and what they are. I started with my SM and then went to the Lansky and now it just means there is more to learn with the Lansky.
Thanks again for all of the help.
Regards

Thanks HeavyHanded for your comments. I realise that we on the board tend to be very fussy but then again so am I. I want my knives to be sharp and have leaned that most folks do not know what sharp is. Now I will reread and understand what you have said in your post.
I will check out the other knives in her set to see how sharp they are. The paring knife cut paper very well, but again not sure of the other ones yet.
Thanks everyone for their help and my gaining some more understanding to looking after the knives.
Regards

I didn't say "better than thou" or anything of the sort, just making an observation that that system seems confusing and somewhat limiting.

With the number of times you've told people looking to buy guided sharpeners that they should build their own, I don't recall any of them accusing you of being elitist when they explain they don't have the skills or tools to do so, and you respond that anybody can build one.

Another thought, plenty of people only use one hand to hold the tool and one to hold the stone - which might as easily be resting on a holder. Just as anyone with the inclination to build a guided sharpener according to your design might do so, you could certainly retrain yourself to freehand sharpen with one hand if you were so inclined. At most it might take a weighted magnet attached near the tip for added pressure.

Oh yes, it should be SO easy for me right? Afterall, you would know, right? Why I should be able to "retrain" myself, as you say, to do anything.. Yes?

Good to know.

Tar18, absolutely get an angle cube. I have used mine more times than I can count!

Hi again folks. A bit of an update on my sister's new knife set. I did the marker trick and they seemed to be right on at 30 degrees. I used the fine rod of my SM to find out and it took all of the marker off the bevel. I did touch them up, but must admit they were pretty sharp out of the box. They all cut paper very, very well. As suggested in the previous posts that I will get them back after a month or so and then really give them a good sharpening. By then I will have picked up a angle cube, so that when I use my Lansky I will at least know what angle I am sharpening at.
Thanks again folks for all of the help and guidance.
I will let every one know how she did with them and how they stood up with use.
Regards

Back