Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Much better pic of that knife with saya
l6BKv4v.jpg

I think its more of a Mini Santoku, I make one with a 4.24" blade that sells well!

AEB-L 3/32" Dyed & Stabilized Quilted Maple, Loveless Bolts.

566xsna.jpg

Hi Brock, that would be a fun knife to try out. The handle looks a little fat compared to the blade. I ran a poll amongst kitchen knife peeps and they vastly preferred small-ish handles on the small blades, irregardless of hand size.

Hey Laurence, it could probably serve double duty to some extent, but the grind is much thicker than I might make on a veggie knife.

I appreciate the advice Tim. You are not the first to suggest my handles are a bit thick. I think I'll have to force myself to make a thin handled knife, just to get my feet wet.
It's not what I want to do instinctively.

I am certainly down for that! I did however sell everything that wasnt nailed down leading up to christmas, I expect to have some new stuff though more towards the summer.

Love checking in on this thread, some great stuff guys!

Here's my last one.
OAL: 12.5"
Blade: 7.5" long, approx. 2" heel height, 600 grit hand sanded satin finish, convex lower 1/4 down to 0.005" before sharpening, distal taper.
Steel: 0.11" AEB-L heat treated by Peter's to RC61,
Handle: Stabilized Koa (by K&G), Bog Oak bolsters with black paper micarta and white G10 liners

Hi guys Happy New Year!

This is a set of 5 kitchen knives I just finished. First work of the year :)

The set includes a Gyuto, Chefs, Nakiri, Petty & a Parer

Steel: White #2 with 22 layer cladding
Handle: Olive and Chacate Preto

Thanks! This is not for the KITH unfortunately ;). I was actually struggling a bit on my KITH knife today. Didn't harden properly the first and second time. Went for a third and the blade cracked. Not surprisingly though. I'm starting again tomorrow but If I run into more trouble I won't be able to finish one in time I'd say.

I follow a bunch of you on Instagram and am always amazed and inspired by your knives! Very beautiful knives! I'm always in awe. Special thanks to Jelle for the awesome customs he made for me and for sharing his knowledge and encouragement!

This is the first knife I've been comfortable enough to share on this thread in this forum. It's a santoku for my former supervisor as a thank you gift. About 160 mm blade, convex ground with slight righty bias. 1084 carbon steel at about 62-63 HRc (based on tempering temps, not tested). Handle is paduak with bocote bolster, vulcanized paper spacers and liners, with handmade mosaic pin and brass pins. Still needs final sharpening on waterstones and about a week's worth of handle oiling to go. I struggled a lot with mistakes on this one and the profile changed a bit from the original design from the fixes I implemented, but in the end I think it will be the best knife I've made so far and definitely the prettiest!

zuLcq0fl.jpg

ekvzCQhl.jpg

Hello all. Not sure if I've posted these elsewhere, but here's what I finished up before Christmas, all for gifts to family. The bottom and middle ones are 1095/15N20, and the rest are 1080/15N20. Handles are all spalted maple stabilized by K&G.
Critiques always welcome.

lPZ7BcE.jpg

~billyO

I follow a bunch of you on Instagram and am always amazed and inspired by your knives! Very beautiful knives! I'm always in awe. Special thanks to Jelle for the awesome customs he made for me and for sharing his knowledge and encouragement!

This is the first knife I've been comfortable enough to share on this thread in this forum. It's a santoku for my former supervisor as a thank you gift. About 160 mm blade, convex ground with slight righty bias. 1084 carbon steel at about 62-63 HRc (based on tempering temps, not tested). Handle is paduak with bocote bolster, vulcanized paper spacers and liners, with handmade mosaic pin and brass pins. Still needs final sharpening on waterstones and about a week's worth of handle oiling to go. I struggled a lot with mistakes on this one and the profile changed a bit from the original design from the fixes I implemented, but in the end I think it will be the best knife I've made so far and definitely the prettiest!

zuLcq0fl.jpg

ekvzCQhl.jpg

Mistakes? Mistakes you say?

Those my friend are called a DM! Design Modification! I was going for a 8" Chef! But saw the true Design as a 7" Fillet Knife!:D

Lighten up on yourself and enjoy the learning Process of knife making!

I will leave ya for tonight with this Tidbit of Truth!
What makes an Artist, is their ability to cover up/Fix their mistakes! ;)

Have Fun & Stay Safe!

You know you are a true artist when you start out making a bowie and end up with a small caper. ;)
Mistakes? Mistakes you say?

Those my friend are called a DM! Design Modification! I was going for a 8" Chef! But saw the true Design as a 7" Fillet Knife!:D

Lighten up on yourself and enjoy the learning Process of knife making!

I will leave ya for tonight with this Tidbit of Truth!
What makes an Artist, is their ability to cover up/Fix their mistakes! ;)

Have Fun & Stay Safe!

Back