Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Normally in shop talk. My first time posting in here. These are a few knives I finished the past week. All are 5210 @ 62 hrc hand sanded to 800 grit. All handles sanded to 1k, then hand buffed with paste wax and buffed again with a pink 3m micro cloth. The cherry handle is Tru Oil finish, the rosewood is tung oil and the ironwood is just paste wax :) Thanks for looking
240gyutocherry_zpsgx5csbu5.jpg

240gyutoiron_zpsalg7lssh.jpg

240gyutoiron2_zps7pogn3su.jpg

240gyutoiron3_zpsrgcpv1xa.jpg

gyutochoil_zpsvvjdkmvm.jpg

tinybevel_zpsm6giyuu6.jpg

If the size of the sharpened bevel is any indication of how thin it is behind the edge ;)
gyutohikiiron_zpsfo6kns8p.jpg

ironnakiri_zps1jkv9yzi.jpg

ironnakiri2_zps0izn43zj.jpg

nakirichoil2_zps3cdqk8pk.jpg

ironwoodwa_zps35u0b6uo.jpg

Ironwood handles after hand buffing with paste wax
rosepetty_zpsadgrijoi.jpg

rosepetty2_zpsdxi5loux.jpg

Not sure what kind of rosewood is on that petty, just had it lying around the shop and wanted to use it.
-Trey / Comet

I don't know if these count, as they are parer / utility knives. They are used about fifty/fifty in the kitchen and for wood shaping. But I thought I'd share some of what I've been up to recently in the forge and at the grindstone.

I don't sell my knives, and only make things that I want to use or my friends want to take off me. All are run with roughly max hardness edges and either clay quenched or the spines tempered back.

These are in 125 Superclean (stamped S), Hitachi Blue #2 suminagashi, 1.2513 and 1.2442. All the wood, with the exception of the rosewood comes straight from the log.

IMG_20170324_234151_514_zpsxnj6nsfh.jpg

IMG_20170404_225806_824_zpser3lqwvf.jpg

IMG_20170404_225543_366_zpsetgseys5.jpg

These have all seen a fair bit of use, so I hope you'll forgive a dilettante inflicting his grubby knives on you all!

Awesome stuff everybody. Love being able to get on here and see everyone's work. Here's a fillet knife I finished up a week or so ago. 0.070 aeb-l, spalted maple, black g10 liners, and 3/16" corby bolts.
7d93254a6e22d278f54a7898b5f59f4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nice bunch of work you have there Trey!

Thank you very much. I've gawked at your work for a while and finally made some I feel are worth posting. :)

Also Josh that fillet is awesome! I've profiled 2 but havent gotten around to trying to grind one yet.
- Trey

It's great to see so many kitchen knives on here. You guys are killing it!

This is my latest yanagiba. 270mm raindrop integral with carbon fiber, mammoth tooth, and mokume spacers. The saya is solid carbon fiber with a true single bevel fit, dressed with mammoth tooth and a mokume keeper pin.

ok2i9JUh.jpg

Arunb80h.jpg

W8ANPTFh.jpg

PDnMkmMh.jpg

208 mm 52100 Gyuto @ 63 hardness 53 mm height at heel
3.5 mm thickness above the heal with a full distal taper to the tip. (1.6mm about 2 inches from tip).
This blade starts out quite hefty, but tapers to a very thin tip optimized for slicing.
Medullary ray red oak / silver ingot / manzanita / blackwood.

208-52110Gyuto1.jpg

208-52110Gyuto3.jpg

That may very well be the most stunning example of a kitchen knife that I have ever seen. So many highly complex elements all executed perfectly. Amazing.

It's great to see so many kitchen knives on here. You guys are killing it!

This is my latest yanagiba. 270mm raindrop integral with carbon fiber, mammoth tooth, and mokume spacers. The saya is solid carbon fiber with a true single bevel fit, dressed with mammoth tooth and a mokume keeper pin.

ok2i9JUh.jpg

Arunb80h.jpg

W8ANPTFh.jpg

PDnMkmMh.jpg

Wow! What a great bunch of knives posted above. They all look awesome both to look at and in design.

gpQif7U.jpg
Here's a few kitchen knives I've done over the past year. Don't hold a candle to some of the masterpieces on here but I deffenitely have caught the kitchen knife bug

3IHzH2Z.jpg
OgvV5z7.jpg
gpQif7U
zZoRg4p.jpg
muboQJF.jpg
8X6MArN.jpg
B25HcGC.jpg
ADNeLBY.jpg

Those are some very nice knives!

The handle shapes aren't all my thing, but the blades look quite well thought out, and the hamon work is pretty darned good!

Last edited:
I agree Warren, the knives in this thread are beautiful. That yanagiba is off the hinges and that hybrid kydex/leather sheath by Brock is so cool looking.

Here's one I just delivered to a customer. Walnut handle, AEB-L @62,custom pins from Alexy Balatsky.

Last edited:
IMG_1072 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

IMG_0884 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

Hitachi Blue, Rc63, 0.005" behind the edge, 10dps. This steel has some pretty dramatic carbide segregation. Handle is Afzelua Burl, with Tagua nut spacer and Damascus bolster.

FullSizeRender by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

S35VN, ebony bolster, Tagua nut spacer, and my last piece of Afzelia Burl. Similar edge geometry as the hitachi knife, but done freehand on diamond stones rather than water stones.

These should be my last crap pictures. My light box is ready to go. I just need to get the bulbs for lighting.

Last edited:
I agree Warren, the knives in this thread are beautiful. That yanagiba is off the hinges and that hybrid kydex/leather sheath by Brock is so cool looking.

Here's one I just delivered to a customer. Walnut handle, AEB-L @62,custom pins from Alexy Balatsky.

Is that mahogany or sapele for the saya?

Those are some very nice knives!

The handle shapes aren't all my thing, but the blades look quite well thought out, and the hamon work is pretty darned good!
Thanks. I am moving towards the handle shape in pics 1 ans 2 for the full tangs and the one in 5 (the one next to the wd-40) with a few slight modificationans for the hidden tangs. I have been using that handle shape on my personal kitchen knife for well over a year now and it is very accommodating to a good pinch grip.

Back