Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Test post due to the whole photobucket fiasco...
embed.js"
script>

7Ka3FLI.jpg
Finally figured out the right link to post here. Sorry for the earlier test posts, fellas. Would delete them if I could or knew how. Anyway, lets see if I can get the other pics posted. 52100 chef knife, part of a set.

mqHgaun.jpg
Santoku in AEB-L

nNS7YM0.jpg
Boning Knife in 8670

eZcXEf8.jpg
Parer in O1. Thanks for looking, and my apologies again for the messed up posts earlier. Was trying to figure out which link to copy/past into BF from imgur. Got it sorted, I think.

7Ka3FLI

Last edited:
7Ka3FLI.jpg
Finally figured out the right link to post here. Sorry for the earlier test posts, fellas. Would delete them if I could or knew how. Anyway, lets see if I can get the other pics posted. 52100 chef knife, part of a set.

mqHgaun.jpg
Santoku in AEB-L

nNS7YM0.jpg
Boning Knife in 8670

eZcXEf8.jpg
Parer in O1. Thanks for looking, and my apologies again for the messed up posts earlier. Was trying to figure out which link to copy/past into BF from imgur. Got it sorted, I think.

7Ka3FLI

Great set, gorgeous Walnut, and consistent finish.

Wow, if I win the lottery, I'm calling you! Gorgeous blade and wood work. Love the walnut

Ha! If you win the lottery, I'm calling YOU!

Thanks FOG2!

Joe, I mentioned this in the custom forum, but the reason for the different carbon steels is that is what I had in the proper thicknesses for each knife. And the AEB-L, customer wanted a Santoku with the set, I had just finished that Santoku and asked them if they would like me to use that as part of the set, as it was a copy of my wife's favorite knife (customer was one of my wife's SLP instructors). Hence AEB-L in a carbon line-up.

I'm starting to lean towards one steel thickness for most all the knives I make. In the ~0.080" range. Hunters, EDC, Chef's, etc. Paring knives in the ~0.063" range.

What do you guys think of this knifes I finished ? Steel is 1.5mm 1.2519 from tobacco industry .Not HT by me ,they a already too hard . Only tempered 2X1 hour on 180 C . Something is not right in shape in this to call them santoku .... but I can t see what ?

R42DdfV.jpg

H4HuckV.jpg

IroCBut.jpg

P59IVXl.jpg

Last edited:
I like that design, Joe. Sure to be a good cutter.
Natlek, keep up the good work!
John, that M4 paring knife is spectacular, the forced patina makes it really stand out.

I make another one .This time for my brother . 1.2519 steel again , 2.2mm thick and scary sharp :) Sorry for bad pictures .

oItTpu3.jpg

qpVbDkr.jpg

1lQ6KoF.jpg

zVpOIZb.jpg

xqQ9lbk.jpg

VRbJ4OC.jpg

nusewc9.jpg

HtRnflB.jpg

7Ka3FLI.jpg

mqHgaun.jpg
Santoku in AEB-L

nNS7YM0.jpg
Boning Knife in 8670

eZcXEf8.jpg

7Ka3FLI
Love this set. love the handle shapes Would be interested in knowing how your designed those.

This was my submission for the 2017 kitchen kith in the shop talk forum.

It's 1/16" S35VN, Rc61, 70/30 offset grind, ffg on the left and d-grind on the right. It's taken down to 0.005" before sharpening, and sharpened at 9dps. The handle is African Blackwood and Quarter sawn Honduras Mahogany. The Mahogany will develop a rich reddish brown tone over time (think traditional yacht cabinetry.) it has a great chatoyance, especially when quarter sawn.

IMG_1409 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

1/16 I cant even imagine how well it will cut. Does it have flex in it? Nice work sir!

It's not as flexy as you would think. It was 3/32" to start with but one of my clamps broke during quench, and the handle end had a bit of a twist. I got most out during temper, and ground the rest out.

My first attempt at a chef knife, and second handmade knife, overall.
8" 1095 blade. full tang 12" overall (probably a little short on the handle)
red G10 spacer/liner & Kirinite 'Black Pearl' handle scales

heat treated with clay to create a hamon, then tried sandblast finish, then tried high polish.
I may leave it as is, or may re-etch for more visible hamon.

Any tips and/or critiques would be highly appreciated, as I am new and highly coachable
Thanks

oh yeah, 100% hand finished following heat treat scale removal, and sharpened to
14° (28°-30°) razor sharp edge. (What I am most excited about!)

Attachments

• IMG_7880.JPG
    IMG_7880.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7879.JPG
    IMG_7879.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7873.JPG
    IMG_7873.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7871.JPG
    IMG_7871.JPG