1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Making a Hinderer great again

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by halden.doerge, Apr 20, 2017.

1. halden.doerge

halden.doerge Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOW it's a slicer! 17 DPS on the Wicked Edge came out fantastic. Added on the gorgeous red scale, and if you look closely, you can see that it's now running smooth as silk on PB washers! Flips like it's on bearings, fellas! For real. :D

115Italian likes this.
  2. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi,
    Nice work :)
    but a 17dps slicer? :confused:

Have a look at Sharpening - Gränsfors Bruk
    For carving axe they suggest Angle 25° to 30° , that is inclusive angle as in ~12° to 15° degrees per side
    Felling axe angle is only 15° to 18° degrees per side ( 36° degrees inclusive)
    So a slicer?
    You've got axe friend :p
    :D

halden.doerge and DavidHoback like this.
  3. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    :D

4. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Where did you get the PB washers?

5. Billthesheepdog

Billthesheepdog

Feb 23, 2012
    "PB"? Peanut Butter? LOL. If their is a different washer for my hinderer I would love to know about it!

Lovely knife btw. Mine is coyote brown with 20cv steel. I can flip well but thumb stud action is nyet.Hoping that breaks in. Knife is only a couple days old so needs some time I guess.

halden.doerge likes this.
  6. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    PB=Phosphor Bronze. I've replaced the nylon washers on my 3.5" and 3" XMs and they definitely feel great. Not like worlds better or anything, but just slightly more solid and maybe a little smoother. But they are still breaking in too, so we'll see how the continue to wear.

7. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    And chapter 2 of Hinderer greatness:

Got a brand new MP1 in natural canvas micarta today. Fantastic knife, and as such it had to meet the Wicked Edge. I took this one a bit further, laying it back to 15 degrees per side to see how it did. Ya'll can be the judge. I can tell you for sure that it cuts like a laser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    I got them at USA Knife Maker. The size you need is 1/4"ID x 1/2"OD x .015"Th.

Razor likes this.
  9. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Further update: The same size phosphor bronze washers fit the MP1 as well. Smooth as butter!

10. Billthesheepdog

Billthesheepdog

Feb 23, 2012
    what size did you use and where did you find them? thanks. I would love to try that!

11. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014

12. Billthesheepdog

Billthesheepdog

Feb 23, 2012
    thanks. gonna order this weekend!

13. Onikudaki

Onikudaki

May 11, 2011
    Do you happen to have a picture of where you mounted the slicer on your wicked edge? Is it a 3.5 or 3"?

14. Billthesheepdog

Billthesheepdog

Feb 23, 2012
    ordered! Thanks a lot!

15. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    It's a 3.5". I don't have a pic of it mounted on the WE. I believe I set it at "B", or basically centered in the clamp. I have a 3" one that I'll be doing soon, and I'll take a pic of that one and add it to the thread when I do.

Thanks!!

16. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Awesome. It's great that they cost next to nothing. I recommend polishing them up a little on some fine grit sandpaper (2000 and up, I really like the 3000 and 5000 grit trizac pads for this) before installing. That definitely helps them run smooth.

17. Onikudaki

Onikudaki

May 11, 2011
    Excellent; I will keep an eye on this thread.

Thank you!