Man bun???

The more stupid stuff kids do to be different, the older I act and feel.

Man bun? When I hired in on my job, if a kid showed up with one of them, the foreman would have held him down and butt.... him himself. Now, management requires us to be all lovey dovey and the ability of these guys to do the job is definitely different! Lol

your foreman would have butt(what!) him!?!?! lots of narrow minded bald guys up in here lol. if you think my ablity to perform is limited by my hairstyle you can go butt.... yourself!

and dont take this the wrong way, im just drinking and laughing at you old f'ers (sad i have to disclaim that)

your foreman would have butt(what!) him!?!?! lots of narrow minded bald guys up in here lol. if you think my ablity to perform is limited by my hairstyle you can go butt.... yourself!

and dont take this the wrong way, im just drinking and laughing at you old f'ers (sad i have to disclaim that)

Hair length or style - I try for it not to be an issue of judgement for me ... and I could be considered an older person with no particular talent for off-gassing (at least that I am aware of :D) BTW good post!

I think about such portrayals of the 'soft' lives in Braveheart and the Revenant ... as movies that showed a near human history where the attention of a 'barber' would be outside the norm.

I know it takes a personal courage to opt for any style outside the norm. Culture tries to control ... sometimes for survival, most times for control, sometimes for no sensible reason at all. We see this every day ... some in in small ... and some in horrific ways.

How does anyone sporting a man bun affect my living my life - not in the least. How would a cultural condemnation of a man sporting a man bun affect my life - possibly in restrictions to freedoms of choice and even worse.

We like this or that and don't like this or that. True. Guilty. :oops:

Well, sometimes it pains me to re-think the style of others, or generations coming up (or long gone) ... but I do kind'a want to stay on the accepting side of personal choices that have no relevance to how I live my own life.

Goodness knows, I have to work on it like everyone else.

But if men want the long hair up and off the neck ... say to rid sweat or to leave no invitation for insect bites as often is the case, or for fashion equally ... is that gauche? Is the pony tail ok?

Does it truly matter?

Man bun is old news. Not so many people do it these days. I figured it was from the hipster trend, maybe wanting to be like samurai or something. I saw an article maybe a year or two back saying it can lead to hair loss from being pulled taut daily, maybe that's why it fell out of fashion.

J jackknife I'm not being judgemental, it's just that the older I get, the more I feel like I'm living in a science fiction movie.[/QUOTS I'm not being judgemental, it's just that the older I get, the more I feel like I'm living in a science fiction movie.

I'll try again after insert ate everything I just wrote. I'm used to living rural and seeing few people, but once in awhile I fly down to see family who resides not far from Toronto, and its a total cultural shock. I feel like I am inside that scene on Starwars where all the aliens are in the bar/restaurant of the space port. I was in the huge shopping mall food court. I saw literally hundreds of people, most with enough metal piercings to fill up a hardware store. Many had weird colored hair of various shades of pastels, and during the whole time, all I saw them do was stare and poke at their electronic devices while stuffing their faces with fast food. Its just like going to another planet.

Anything to differentiate themselves, that's the nature of a subculture. It's all fine with me. As long as it doesn't affect my lifestyle and freedom, it makes not one whit...

Last edited:
Manbuns are okay if you're Toshiro Mifune.

Are you Toshiro Mifune?

If you're not Toshiro Mifune, then you can't wear a man bun...

I can't say much since someone has complained about all my haircuts (spikey, colored, too mohawky, scary) But I've seen at least one guy with what I can only call a poof on the front of his buzz-cut that I would put money was a dare for someone to comment on. Dude had the kind of nose that has been broken a time or three, ears that had taken a beating, and boxers knuckles. yeah, dumb haircut, but no one on that bus was going to point that out.

man-bun, meh, trends pass.

Long hair is okay. A man bun is simply gauche.

lol you realize everyone with long hair is capable of pulling it up in a bun, hun? You must be one of those balding guys with low T. You should talk to your DocT about that :)

Last edited:
Ok, here is a challange to all the haters.. if you (can) grow your hair for one year and pull it into a man bun A winner will recive a near new browning BPS .410 shotgun and i will donate $1000 to a childrens charity of your choice

Entries are accepted thru the end end of the month and that iswhen the one year challenge will begin. You must post a before and after pic.. before pic will need to be published at time of entry

Crickets are what i expect to hear. But please prove me wrong old bald guys.. hehe

Last edited:
It doesn't really bother me. If you have long hair and want to put it up out of the way, why not put it in a bun? I don't care what sexual organs you have.

I can't do the long hair thing though. Too hot, and too much maintenance. Oh, and I'm balding. Oh and I'd look fuggin ridiculous.

This however....I don't understand.

Ok, here is a challange to all the haters.. if you (can) grow your hair for one year and pull it into a man bun A winner will recive a near new browning BPS .410 shotgun and i will donate $1000 to a childrens charity of your choice

Entries are accepted thru the end end of the month and that iswhen the one year challenge will begin. You must post a before and after pic.. before pic will need to be published at time of entry

Crickets are what i expect to hear. But please prove me wrong old bald guys.. hehe

I never said I hated man-buns. I said I liked to mock the kids today, what with their crazy styles and what they call music and in my day we knew how to use ponytail holder like a man and get off my lawn...

Also, I call foul on your challenge. I am not balding, and yet I cannot grow nor wear a "man-bun". If I were to wear one, it would simply be a bun, and where's the fun in that? :(

I know you do not realize it, but I used to have hair down to my waist. Pony tail, head band, sure. But never a manbun. Too feminine for me, but if that floats your boat, then go for it.

I know you do not realize it, but I used to have hair down to my waist. Pony tail, head band, sure. But never a manbun. Too feminine for me, but if that floats your boat, then go for it.
Why is the bun feminine, but pony tail or long hair okay? I can think of a lot more male martial traditions that embraced the man bun than the pony tail. ;)

Why is the bun feminine, but pony tail or long hair okay? I can think of a lot more male martial traditions that embraced the man bun than the pony tail. ;)
Arbitrary gender associations as defined within a particular regional culture. When I was a child, men didn't wear the color pink, or have long hair. Now it's more common, and gradually becoming less associated with femininity.
There are places in the world where women don't wear short hair or pants. (that came out wrong, I mean they only wear dresses.)
Men in my city wear their hair in pigtails and have huge gauged earlobes and it hardly draws attention.

I have long hair but just keep it down its not really long enough for a pony tail either but no man-bun ever for me.

Manbuns are okay if you're Toshiro Mifune.

Are you Toshiro Mifune?

If you're not Toshiro Mifune, then you can't wear a man bun...
We all wish we could be him

I think they look pretty silly, but then again I'm an old fart.

Last edited:
Back