Manix 2 lockback

Anyone find these in stock yet? Bladehq got them first and I didn't pull the trigger LOL

Tip-down carry Manix 2?!

1852920487-1312939815_charlie-sheen-winning-tshirt.jpg

I ordered mine from Knifeworks.com yesterday. This is going to be epic.

someone on instagram got one, he said he preferred the current version over the backlock. its just much thicker now. i havent held one yet, whats your guys feelings on it (for those who have it)? my manix2 ball lock s110v is already too big to carry often, i love using it, just too big to EDC.

someone on instagram got one, he said he preferred the current version over the backlock. its just much thicker now. i havent held one yet, whats your guys feelings on it (for those who have it)? my manix2 ball lock s110v is already too big to carry often, i love using it, just too big to EDC.
Link tot he instagram post?

I'm really looking forward to the thicker handles, but yes I remember the manix 2 being wide and a pocket hog

This is from over on the Spyderco forum for those who want to know. This one will have the same solid lockup as the Native5. Woot woot!!!!

sal said:
bearfacedkiller said:
I too hope that they are manufacturing this lock with the same tight tolerances as the Native5. I don't know if that has been confirmed or not.

Hey Killer,

Yes, it's the same. Now that we've got it down, and it works well, no sense in changing. Haven't found any glitches in this method".

sal

Link tot he instagram post?

I'm really looking forward to the thicker handles, but yes I remember the manix 2 being wide and a pocket hog

no idea who it was. i follow so many folks, once i pass it up, its mostly lost in the fray. sorry.

I went over to buy the new Manix at Knifeworks site and ended up kind of scratching my head. $132? How is that even possible? I can get the G10 S110V version for $138. That includes SS liners, both liners being milled to reduce weight, and super duper S110V steel. Is the backlock Manix a sprint? I was just using my DLC coated Manix on Sunday and that goes for $126. Someone help me out. This is a version that they made before, a backlock Manix. So they still have the tooling I'd guess, being that they sprint run stuff that isn't sold anymore. What gives?

I went over to buy the new Manix at Knifeworks site and ended up kind of scratching my head. $132? How is that even possible? I can get the G10 S110V version for $138. That includes SS liners, both liners being milled to reduce weight, and super duper S110V steel. Is the backlock Manix a sprint? I was just using my DLC coated Manix on Sunday and that goes for $126. Someone help me out. This is a version that they made before, a backlock Manix. So they still have the tooling I'd guess, being that they sprint run stuff that isn't sold anymore. What gives?

Thicker blade stock and g10 could be contributing factors. I gladly paid the extra and await delivery :)

Blade is .15" S30V on the backlock, .13" on the S110V per Blade HQ. That's a .02" difference. Add in all the extra that's in the G10 S110V and it still just doesn't figure? Cutting a slab of G10 is pretty easy when compared to milling liners on top of doing the original cutouts of the G10. All that rounded jimping on both sides of the liners would be expensive mill time that was completely deleted. Something about it is just off unless it's a limited run/Sprint. I just had a thought but I'd rather not put it out there as it would be completely disappointing. Oh well, now the S110V version will probably be my next Spydie.

Blade is .15" S30V on the backlock, .13" on the S110V per Blade HQ. That's a .02" difference. Add in all the extra that's in the G10 S110V and it still just doesn't figure? Cutting a slab of G10 is pretty easy when compared to milling liners on top of doing the original cutouts of the G10. All that rounded jimping on both sides of the liners would be expensive mill time that was completely deleted. Something about it is just off unless it's a limited run/Sprint. I just had a thought but I'd rather not put it out there as it would be completely disappointing. Oh well, now the S110V version will probably be my next Spydie.

That's totally up to you. It's a regular production knife.

I would politely ask that you either come out with the thought your trying to say or kindly move on. I'm interested in hearing it, but only if your willing to say it.

I for one choose not to buy Japanese spydercos because I can't justify the price difference between a para 2 and a lil temp 3.

Here is a curve ball for you..... the manix 2 used to sell for Around $80 if I remember correctly. That was before MAP pricing. People are still buying the manix 2....

I can see the value in this one. There are a few interesting assumptions made in those posts.

You like to compare prices so here goes.
Native5 G10 S110V = $152
Manix2 G10 S110V = $140

You mention time to cut out the liners but do not touch on the fact that Spyderco's golden made backlocks are manufactured with very, very tight tolerances. I assume that is time consuming and adds cost.

You mention milling the liners. I don't know how Spyderco does it but I assume it is not milling but rather waterjet or laser.

You also make the assumption that machining G10 is easy. If the backlock is gonna be as tight as the Native but do so without liners I would assume that the tolerances on the scales need to be just as tight as the lock. Maybe it is easier on the equipment but precision is precision.

The new backlock Manix is an all new knife. The old backlock manix had liners and didn't have a floating stop in. Assuming that this will be cheaper to make because they made a similar knife in the past is probably not correct in this case.

I also believe that the blade stock specs you listed are incorrect. This Backlock Manix has noticeably thicker stock than the CBBL Manix and has way thicker G10. If the dimensions of these materials is not shared with other models then that too could be a factor. I think it probably does share the blade stock with either the Yojimbo or Military/Para but am not sure.

I don't need to hear your other idea as I don't think that Spyderco has ever been anything but fair and honest with their pricing.

For me it isn't enough of a price difference to even care. If I want it and it is $20 bucks more than I would have prefered then I will buy it. Someday I will have long forgotten about the small price difference and all I will be left with is a sweet knife that I wanted. ;)

I have one coming to me soon. It doesn't seem like many are excited about this knife, but I definitely am! The Manix is one of my favorite Spydie platforms.

Like I said, elsewhere, if you average out the prices of all Manix versions, the new back lock version is very reasonable.

BFK, I was just as excited as you were about Sal's lock comment.

I can easily see the reason that the price is what it is. I bet the internals of the lock-back are like the Native 5. If that is true, this took more tooling because they never had a lock-back that size (but their newer lock-back style like the Native 5).

In addition to that, the tooling needed to consistently and regularly put the "blind nuts" into the G10 to accept the clip screws had to be created/purchased etc. I am not sure they could use the same procedure that they do for the FRN blind nuts.

The thicker blade stock probably had to be ordered as they don't have that thickness on hand. I'm not positive on this but I think I'm correct. I really do not think the price is bad AT ALL for this new Manix 2 lock-back.

I ended up canceling my pre-order as I didn't like the hugely thick handles when I saw pictures of it. I'm not pocketing that thing.

My $.02 ...

Guys, I have an older Cold Steel American Lawman built the same, and it is very solid. Back locks are reliable. This will be a fantastic knife. Don't think linerless thick ass G10 is weak. I need one of these in my back pocket.

I can easily see the reason that the price is what it is. I bet the internals of the lock-back are like the Native 5. If that is true, this took more tooling because they never had a lock-back that size (but their newer lock-back style like the Native 5).

In addition to that, the tooling needed to consistently and regularly put the "blind nuts" into the G10 to accept the clip screws had to be created/purchased etc. I am not sure they could use the same procedure that they do for the FRN blind nuts.

The thicker blade stock probably had to be ordered as they don't have that thickness on hand. I'm not positive on this but I think I'm correct. I really do not think the price is bad AT ALL for this new Manix 2 lock-back.

I ended up canceling my pre-order as I didn't like the hugely thick handles when I saw pictures of it. I'm not pocketing that thing.

My $.02 ...

Wait till I get mine in a few days and I will let you know how it actually is. If what I suspect is true, it will be just fine.

Back