Manix 2 lockback

I got my back lock Manix 2 in today. I took some comparison pics next to a well-known Manix 2 with the ball bearing lock.

Da2mQTZ.jpg

YBZZq5J.jpg

Identical blade shapes
eDv292E.jpg

Spyderco's CQI is impressive. It seems like each Spyderco I get nowadays, keeps getting better!
amMNPFs.jpg

Slight difference in blade thickness, but honestly, it doesn't really stand out, unless you have them side by side.
7Jjfbd2.jpg

KKDwu6W.jpg

The larger pivot pin screws are a nice touch. I'm not sure if the actual pivot pin itself is larger or not?
rXsVC6O.jpg

One of the biggest differences is the thickness in hand.
HBTcty4.jpg

bytEqBE.jpg

Everything on the spine side is perfectly mated. The g10 slabs and lockbar/backspacer is flawlessly blended together. The stainless backspacer and lockbar is kinda sexy!
sJpXCRG.jpg

I really like the new "micro" peel ply texture on the backlock Manix! Tacky, matte feeling to them and I can tell it's a little easier on the jeans pockets.
V5bnRr4.jpg

Compared to a Stretch 2
DxxNUUc.jpg

And in between a Delica and Endura
UHySpmH.jpg

Like the Stretch 1 and 2, the Manix backlock looks very similar to the Manix ball bearing, but feel very different in hand. I have to admit, that the spring on this backlock is strong as a bear trap! In all honesty, after playing with this backlock for a bit, the ball bearing lock feels puny when it snaps open. This is awesome that there is so much spring pressure on this backlock, stronger than any other backlock I've experienced from Spyderco. I guess you'd have to experience it for yourself to see! Given my initial impressions, I love both versions and will have multiples of each in my cutlery arsenal! Thanks again Spyderco for another homerun!

G2oDKuv.jpg

Mine came in yesterday. Here's my 1st impressions:

-This is a very muscular folder, but the weight is not at all objectionable
-Fit and finish is superb. I absolutely love the texture on the G10 handles
-I assumed that it would come sans washers like the N5 LW, since it has no liners. However I think I'm seeing washers (brass/bronze) on the pivot. Tolerances are so tight that it's tough to see inside, but I'm not gonna tear it down to confirm.
-It came with a beautiful, even grind and probably the sharpest out-of-box edge I've ever seen on a Spydie

Overall I'm very impressed. I have a Manix 2 LW in BD1, and a black blade G10 in S35 but I'm liking this new backlock a little better. I think I've found my new weekend EDC. If I need more knife than this I'll pack a fixed blade.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that I LOVE this lockback Manix! There is not another knife in production, that I've seen or handled, that locks up as loud and as solid as this one! Like previously stated, the ball bearing lock seems so WEAK compared to this backlock! I know it isn't, but it sure feels like it after carrying this backlock for a few days!

Oh yeah, on the g10 slabs, there is no milling on the inside. Totally flat.

They should be easy to mod, then.

I am still waiting on the mail to deliver mine. It is in the area, but has not been sent out for delivery yet. Maddening!

They should be easy to mod, then.

I am still waiting on the mail to deliver mine. It is in the area, but has not been sent out for delivery yet. Maddening!

I think you'll love it! I can't wait for sprint run steels in different g10 colored handles!

can someone make some carbon fiber scales with some carbon fiber from carbonwaves? that stuff is awesome, especially the copper variant.

My thoughts still reflect my initial impression of it....awesomeness! Get it, try it, I don't think you'll regret it. It's like a Manix on steroids!

My thoughts still reflect my initial impression of it....awesomeness! Get it, try it, I don't think you'll regret it. It's like a Manix on steroids!

I assume 91B means you were a mechanic. In my day a 91B was a combat medic. This knife would have been a perfect addition to the kit of a medic.

I'm still smitten with mine as well. The backlock just feels so much more secure than the CBBL... although they are probably on equal footing. Fit and finish is amazing, there is zero play in any direction

If I absolutely had to get a sprint in this knife it would be a smurf blue g10 cruwear :)

Do these suckers have no steel liners? Or are they sporting nested liners I just can't see in pics.

Oh man no liners? I might just have to get one ofnthese afterall.

You won't regret it. If you always wanted a manix 1 or wish the manix 2 cbbl had a thicker handle without all the jimping..... this is for you

Back