Matt Easton would like to be on Forged in Fire...

I thought poshland was his personal site since the address I saw was a ".uk" site, and his being from the UK. As well as his designing of knives and considering his knife sales led me to believe this.

That being the case, I will be looking further into his actual offerings, and his direct role in the knife industry. If I have to redact anything I have stated above, I will do so accordingly. For now, they will stand.

I subscribe to the guy, I'll see if he'll answer anything, but I suspect with so many subs, the chances are low. Did you wish to ask anything specific?

Been googling, found no folders but a "Matt Easton" branded bowie probably made in or around the Indian subcontinent. I admit I really like the design, I really like the taper, it should balance really nice and feel good in the hand.... but the grind looks meh, really meh... and who knows how that 1095 was treated, if it is 1095. That said, I'd pay up to $50 for it. Maybe $30 would be right. Because I'm a sucker for things bowie.

I thought poshland was his personal site since the address I saw was a ".uk" site, and his being from the UK. As well as his designing of knives and considering his knife sales led me to believe this.

That being the case, I will be looking further into his actual offerings, and his direct role in the knife industry. If I have to redact anything I have stated above, I will do so accordingly. For now, they will stand.

Matt is in no way associated with Poshland besides being a customer.

I was really confused by all your posts in this thread!

I was wondering if he had some secret, evil instagram account or something...

I don't know if this helps. I think myself the rrp is too high. But I do like the design.

Matt is in no way associated with Poshland besides being a customer.

I was really confused by all your posts in this thread!

I was wondering if he had some secret, evil instagram account or something...
With the bowie that he is holding in the video, and giving the overview of, being the one he designed and Poshland is now selling, I would say that there is a connection.

Admittedly, it is a small one since I have no way of knowing if there is any revenue gained by him through sales of the knife he designed.
---
I will be editing my posts to reflect the data I have found, and that has been shown on here.

With the bowie that he is holding in the video, and giving the overview of, being the one he designed and Poshland is now selling, I would say that there is a connection.

Admittedly, it is a small one since I have no way of knowing if there is any revenue gained by him through sales of the knife he designed.
---
I will be editing my posts to reflect the data I have found, and that has been shown on here.

I highly doubt he is being payed at all. He's designed training swords for different companies over the years, but never made a dime on them, and was always open and honest with his assessment of them.

Matt is good people.

Posts that needed editing are fixed.

I am glad to hear that I was wrong in my initial impression. This impression was mostly due to my jumping the gun and lack of information to form a completely informed arguement.
It is a shame that the issue of people selling Very low end knives as customs is commonplace enough that it can yield a severe response as quickly as it has done so.

I hope that anyone that has read my first series of posts, has read the rest of this thread to see my current standing on the matter.
-----
As far as his being on Forged in Fire as a consultant:
From the videos that I have watched, what I have read, and the basic grasp of his frame of knowledge, it seems like he may have some information to offer to the show. If he (or they) do persue this, I wish them well.

Edited for grammatical reasonings and clarity, not content.

Last edited:
1. A number of knife makers who have been on this forum have been on the show.
2. The permanent cast is contracted, and they are not changing.
3. if he can't forge a knife, and he wants to be on TV, he's going to have to do his own show.

Good luck to him.

Hi folks,
A friend of mine pointed me here. Thanks for letting me in!

Just to clarify a few things - I did get Poshland Knives to make a few things to my designs. I was curious to see how they would turn out and I didn't get anything financially out of it, other than some free knives to show on camera.

I found Poshland to be really good on customer service and the quality of their work, for what it is, to be pretty good. They can certainly replicate the look of something very well - better than some other makers I have worked with. Sometimes they are a bit rough around the edges, but in general I have found them to be better than other things in the same (cheap) price bracket.

Their leather sheaths were problematic for a time, because the way the leather had been treated was causing blades to rust inside! I think they fixed that, but I ended up throwing away some of the sheaths I had from them.

As for the structural quality of their knives, they are robustly built. I chopped through a log with one, with no signs of damage. I don't know their precise edge hardness, but they are neither incredibly hard not incredibly soft. I have not had any part of one of their knives break on me, but I have not used them a lot.

For the record, I'm primarily a HEMA instructor of 20 years (kung fu, modern fencing and various things before that) and an antique weapons dealer. I have a fairly large collection of antique weapons and that has gradually started to become a job in itself. I have worked with various companies as a consultant to improve and develop products, mostly swords and mostly for HEMA training. I also run my YouTube channel of course, which has inadvertently become another job my itself.

Anyway, thanks for watching a cheers!

YouTube is great, and I can see it as a job on it's own. I know I watch that more than TV.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi folks,

Just to clarify a few things - I did get Poshland Knives to make a few things to my designs. I was curious to see how they would turn out and I didn't get anything financially out of it, other than some free knives to show on camera.

I found Poshland to be really good on customer service and the quality of their work, for what it is, to be pretty good. They can certainly replicate the look of something very well - better than some other makers I have worked with. Sometimes they are a bit rough around the edges, but in general I have found them to be better than other things in the same (cheap) price bracket.

Their leather sheaths were problematic for a time, because the way the leather had been treated was causing blades to rust inside! I think they fixed that, but I ended up throwing away some of the sheaths I had from them.

As for the structural quality of their knives, they are robustly built. I chopped through a log with one, with no signs of damage. I don't know their precise edge hardness, but they are neither incredibly hard not incredibly soft. I have not had any part of one of their knives break on me, but I have not used them a lot.

For the record, I'm primarily a HEMA instructor of 20 years (kung fu, modern fencing and various things before that) and an antique weapons dealer. I have a fairly large collection of antique weapons and that has gradually started to become a job in itself. I have worked with various companies as a consultant to improve and develop products, mostly swords and mostly for HEMA training. I also run my YouTube channel of course, which has inadvertently become another job my itself.

Welcome here,
thanks for coming to explain and clarify.

I am a true fan of yours and subscribed years ago when you started! Just wanted to thank you for the joy and information that your channel brings to me, Sir
:thumbsup:

Hi folks,

Matt, good job coming aboard! Thanks for explaining about poshlands. I suppose it is very hard to get a custom job at a cheap price.

Keep up the good work on your channel! I hope someone sees it and gets you onto F in F... maybe euro edition. No wait, brexit and all :p

Matt, good job coming aboard! Thanks for explaining about poshlands.
I agree, thanks Matt.

I suppose it is very hard to get a custom job at a cheap price.
Well, a lot of it comes down to the perceived value.

A lot of folks will see a 4"-5" bladed bushcrafter and think that $150-$200 is too much for it. But let's break down the cost.

These numbers will be my personal averages.
-- I will spend 10-15 hours on profiling, rough grind, hand sanding, drilling the tang and some of the handle shaping.
(15 hours@$10 an hour = $150. I can get a job at a fast food joint and make the same coin)
-- Now factor in stabilized wooden handles, and there is a cost of $30-$50 added in.
-- Cost in steel (1084 @ 1/8"×2"×48") is $35, so say around $2 in steel, since I can get 15-20 knives from one bar.
-- Now add in the cost of a leather or kydex sheath (averaging $15)
-- Shipping is going to be around $8

At the Very least, that is going to cost Me $140 to make the knife. That is on the low end of polishing the blade (working/satin finish) and no sheath.

Some folks want a 8"-10" bladed camp knife with a highly polished blade, fancy handles and an ornate leather sheath but don't want to spend over $200 for it...
Others are willing to drop $5K on a small 3" bladed city knife and wait on someone's books for 4 years.

There is very little middle ground and a lot of people fighting for it.
------
Just realize, unless the knife you are buying costs over $500, the Craftsman is likely using the income from knife making as supplemental income. So nickel and diming him over a $25 drop in price over something trivial is wasting what little time he can afford to spend shooting emails, and actually trying to put said nickel or dime into his pocket.

Folks make knives because they love to do it. Not because they are getting rich from it. Sure, some are well off, but those are Very few and Very far between.

Last edited:
Back