Mega RF2 Work In Progress!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
The Mega RF2 has commenced! Check out the progress here, it is going to be epic!

Mega RF2 - .315" D2 Steel Blade, milled pattern that "ties the knife together" and much more! It's going to be big and bad so look out! :eek:

There are many operations on a folder. I am going to cover some of them in depth but mostly cover the special work like milling, grinding, finishing etc. I'll start with the pivot!

Here's the end of lapping the frames, I started with 100 grit and worked my way up to 400 on the disc sander, After that I hand lapped on my granite surface plate... this is mostly to check for flatness as a different scratch pattern will show up. They are so flat that they stick together with a light suction.

The new disc sander! It goes to 11. Yes I'm wearing plaid pants. :D

I'm drilling the spotted pivot hole out to 6.2mm or .244" so I can ream later.

Chamfer the burr off... this also lines up the reamer path.

A light sanding to deburr fully....

Reaming to .249" for a press fit... this ensures that the pivot will not spin. This is a critical operation and done with a collet in the mill. I brush on a drop of tapping fluid to help the reamer cut cleanly.

I'm pressing in a temporary pivot with my one ton arbor press. I'll use the above procedure for the other pivot hole but ream it .001" larger for a tight slip fit. After that I use the pivot to line the two frames up for the next reamed holes.

Look out for more pics later!

I cut in a semi hidden alignment pin hole next... no pics as it is almost the same process as the pivot but done near the pommel. This pin keeps everything lined up without shifting... with this construction method the screws are only used to hold the frames together and not for alignment purposes.

Today I'm going to use my chop saw to cut a bar of 5/16" thick D2 for the blade... I'll be sure to get pics!

I'll take it.

Wait, we're not at that part yet, are we? :D

Can't wait to see the finished product.

What grind were you thinking of giving this, Daniel?

Cool WIP, Daniel!!! You should see my face! :eek:
hurra.gif

Compound chisel grind!! :)

Far out!
That customer, btw, smack-talks you all the time. You need to let me have that folder.

I'm not worthy.

I spend at least 2 hrs on this page...doing nothing but just looking at it! :D

can't wait to see more Daniel, makes me want to fix my garage and the spare room into my work room. Sewing, guns, knives, moto/car parts and video games lol.

can't wait to see more Daniel, makes me want to fix my garage and the spare room into my work room. Sewing, guns, knives, moto/car parts and video games lol.

Sounds cool!

Wow, awesome!

Big thanks!

Look out for more progress soon! I have a fair bit more of the basics done now and it is on to the more exciting part like milled patterns!

Back