• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Midnight Sun Industries Custom Shop, Titanium handles, anodizing, engraving, inlays..

Hello everyone, I'd like to post up some of what I've been doing lately in my custom shop.

Right now, I'm working on machining full titanium handles for Zero Tolerance and Kershaw knives. I have started with the ZT 0562 Hinderer model, and there will be many more makes models coming, as well as some carbon fiber inlays. I'll continue to update this thread as I produce more products. Be sure to let me know if you are interested in anything listed here, or have your own ideas for custom work, titanium anodizing, engraving, etc.
Thanks for looking!

Here is a sampling of what I've been up to, these are full thickness .140" grade 5 titanium front side handles, machined to look as if the 0562 could have come as a full titanium knife from the factory. I've got countless hours in developing these, and I'm really liking how they are turning out. There is a sales thread in the knifemakers gadgets and gear section for these handles, as well as complete knives anodized on both sides to match.

Last edited:
Incredible work,one question if i may;
How the heck did you do that?
Waterjet??
:thumbup:

Great work those look fantastic!

I am looking to get some custom work done. Wanting replacement scales of aluminum or titanium to replace g10 scales on my Emerson a100. Anybody interested in the work?

I am looking to get some custom work done. Wanting replacement scales of aluminum or titanium to replace g10 scales on my Emerson a100. Anybody interested in the work?

I might be, when I get caught up with these ZTs and the Kershaws. It takes awhile to get a new knife all CAD'd in, and I really need the certain knife in hand to measure million times to get the perfect fit. I'll keep you posted as to if and when I can get my hands on an a100.:D

New knife model for my Ti scales, the Kershaw Link (USA made). Here are a few early pics of colorings and engravings, one is plain dark stonewash, other is gold anodized with my "Northern Exposure" theme...

I might be, when I get caught up with these ZTs and the Kershaws. It takes awhile to get a new knife all CAD'd in, and I really need the certain knife in hand to measure million times to get the perfect fit. I'll keep you posted as to if and when I can get my hands on an a100.:D

What if I just sent you mine?

I've had quite a few guys inquire about making Ti scales for various different knives. I'm trying to come up with a system that makes sense moving forward as I branch out to do more and more knives.

Most of the long hours go into the prototyping of a new knife. If I only ever make one set, then it ends up having to be priced as a one-off...which is totally doable, as long as it makes sense for the customer.

So, I've thought of a "group buy" type idea; if 5 people commit to buying a set of Ti scales for a new knife, I can price them at the standard $100-$200ish ballpark per pair. If not, then a set up fee of around $300 would be additional to cover the long hours (some cases days) of set up involved. I would also need the knife sent in to me for measuring. Some knives are a lot more time consuming than others, especially nested liners. Thanks guys!

What if I just sent you mine?

Tried to PM you, but it said you couldn't receive them, so I'll post here...

In short, yes I could make them if you sent me your knife. I know it can get a little spendy when doing custom work, there is a ton of hours on the prototype side, the actual machining isn't that long. So, I'm on board if we can come up with a price that suits both of us.

Were you thinking just replacement scales or like a liner delete/ full thickness type on the front side? Lots of options; plain stonewashed, my "blackwash" or "bluewash", custom image engraving, anodized color scheme... : )

If you're interested, send an email to my address listed in my sig and we can work out the details. Thanks, Curtis

Fantastic! ! I went to your website,did a search very impressive! Signed up for the email but was mainly looking for work on CRK's,I'd love to have you do the flag on my 25!!
Dave

Fantastic! ! I went to your website,did a search very impressive! Signed up for the email but was mainly looking for work on CRK's,I'd love to have you do the flag on my 25!!
Dave

Thanks for checking it out. Doing the Battle Torn Flag theme was a fun project and I agree it would look awesome on a CRK. I'm sure with a few tweeks we could get an awesome looking flag on the 25 in a way that would flow with really well with the lines of the knife! Doing the engraving of the flag or other cool images/photos is pretty flexible, if the knife's handle shape and size with fit the design. I spend a lot of hours doing graphic design and image/photo editing so its not hard to put together a computer rendering of what it will look like before its carved, lots of options for sure.

If you'd like to talk specifics at all, feel free to PM or email with any questions or ideas. I'll try to keep this tread better posted with some of the newer designs I've been dabbling with too, as well as my website; some of my newer projects haven't made it yet..

Thanks, Curtis

Thanks Curtis I'll be in touch with you. .I'm told I need to buy my son a football helmet so funds have been put on hold for a bit, thanks for your fast reply Sir!
Dave

Thought I'd update this with a few more pics of Ti handles I've done lately.

This is my version of a "blackwash" stonewashed finish:

more to come...

Last edited:
Been making some more Ti Kershaw Link handles lately too. Here is my "Nothern Exposure" theme with a new anodized two tone color scheme; "Midnight Sunset"

Here is a one-off set of Ti Link handles I did for a local volunteer for the high school basketball team (Seward Seahawks), Go 'hawks! :D

Wow, definitely stands apart from the pack. Awesome work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back