Mini-Intrepid mods

Just got this one in a few days ago, and love just about everything about it. The size is really good for my edc prefs, and I love the blade grind and shape. Action is superb - buttery smooth, and after fiddling a tad w/ the lockbar position now have a detent strength that I find perfect.
However, I use the thumb ramp/spine swell a lot to lock in my thumb, and found myself constantly wishing for a front finger choil for better hand position w/ this grip. So I cut one in. Sacrificed around 3/16" of cutting edge, but was already impressed w/ how much edge this knife packs in such a small handle, so I figured it'd be worth it. Also minimalized the flipper tab - it was catching fabric on the way out sometimes, and figured I'd shrink her down as much as I could. This also helped access to the new choil.
Final step was a stonewashing in the ole clothes drier.
Now it's time to put this m390 through its paces. My first w/ this steel, and I'm eager to try her out...
dcGKPxW.jpg

LMolgBN.jpg

HGXqfru.jpg

ul2j6Qc.jpg

JRox3ey.jpg

7313eZj.jpg

Looks great! I agree that the flipper tab seems just a bit over size on pretty much all of the Laconico Kizers, except the full size Intrepid. You probably already know this, but the Guru clip is a direct fit.

Your clothes dryer does good work -- did you consider also stonewashing the blade? :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm still debating doing an acid stonewash in the blade. Just kinda lazy, and not feeling like doing the post-stonewash sharpening! If I do go that route I'll be sure to post pics.

Awesome choil and flipper mod - they look great! The flipper is definitely prominent on this knife. The detent on my mini intrepid is a little soft - looks like maybe you had the same issue - if so, how were you able to make it stronger?

Awesome choil and flipper mod - they look great! The flipper is definitely prominent on this knife. The detent on my mini intrepid is a little soft - looks like maybe you had the same issue - if so, how were you able to make it stronger?
Thanks vbjoe, I appreciate it man! Yep, my detent was on the soft side too - I just took the knife apart, and pushed the lockbar farther in. You want to go gradually, at least that's my strategy when messing with the lockbar tension. Do it lightly, then reassemble and check it out. You'll probably have to repeat the process multiple times to fine tune it.

Still looks like choil may be small or at least the index finger will get cut if fully in the choil. Soft detent? My last kizers were way ,way to strong Detent. So just bend the other way(lil at a time and check often).

Back