Minimuk?

Kalsu

Gold Member
What is it about this blade? Lately I have found myself mysteriously drawn to it. In the past I have never really given them much thought. I always focused on the hiking buddy, monarch, style blades.

The mimimuk seems to be a pretty popular model though. So for those of you that have one: Do you use it, or is it more of a show piece? If you use it how useful is it as an every day carry knife?

The minimuk has really peaked my interest and I am looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this knife.

The Minimuk also catches my eye out of all the Nessmuk models. Though every once in a while a stunning Nessmuk will grab my attention. I haven't quite convinced myself to buy one yet.

Last edited:
The Minimuk also catches my eye out of all the Nessmuck models. Though every once in a while a stunning Nessmuck will grab my attention. I haven't quite convinced myself to buy one yet.

I am right there with you. There is something about it though..

I use my Rustic Wrap Minimuk all the time in the kitchen and at the dinner table. It and my OK/T Warthog are my most used fixed blades. The belly of the blade makes it great for food prep, and my 1/8" example isn't too thick to bind/wedge. I can't speak to the handle feel of most Minimuks obviously, but I really love the super thin handles of the Rustic Wrap, and the curve of the handle makes multiple grips very comfortable.

I use my Rustic Wrap Minimuk all the time in the kitchen and at the dinner table. It and my OK/T Warthog are my most used fixed blades. The belly of the blade makes it great for food prep, and my 1/8" example isn't too thick to bind/wedge. I can't speak to the handle feel of most Minimuks obviously, but I really love the super thin handles of the Rustic Wrap, and the curve of the handle makes multiple grips very comfortable.

Nice! Thanks for the reply. The few that I have found have 5\32" A2. About half of those have a TT. I am wondering how well they would slice with the combination 5\32" and high grind of the blade. I think I would prefer 1/8" but TT 5/32" if it sliced well would be sweet.

I think it would make a great little skinning knife, and general utility knife as well... hmmmm.

Those are my thoughts as well. Definitely be a good skinning knife with the belly.

As I've mentioned (probably too many times:)) I've really fallen for the full size Nessmuk that I have. It's 1/8" TT, and the contours of the handle & the sweep of the blade make it a superb user, in the kitchen for food prep, in the field, & hopefully to skin my elk this fall. Love my prod Bushfinger, but the Nessmuk has such a natural feel in the hand that it's my favorite 4" range FB now. I haven't tried a Mini, but plan to get a Neckmuk someday. I encourage you to try the full size Nessie, but be ready to get your wallet out, you'll love it

Just found a few with 1/8" steel (both A2 and O1). Hmmm 5\32" or 1\8"? Personally I am leaning towards 1\8".

20170728_132436-vi.jpg

As I've mentioned (probably too many times:)) I've really fallen for the full size Nessmuk that I have. It's 1/8" TT, and the contours of the handle & the sweep of the blade make it a superb user, in the kitchen for food prep, in the field, & hopefully to skin my elk this fall. Love my prod Bushfinger, but the Nessmuk has such a natural feel in the hand that it's my favorite 4" range FB now. I haven't tried a Mini, but plan to get a Neckmuk someday. I encourage you to try the full size Nessie, but be ready to get your wallet out, you'll love it

This is what I am afraid of. I get the Minimuk and then have to get the Nessmuk.
I have my Bushfinger (and Ladyfinger that I need to use more) in the 4" range. I am sure though that if I end up getting the Minimuk a Nessmuk will follow. That's how it seems to work with me:D.

Great looking knife. Vance what do you think about the 5/32" vs. 1/8" debate?
it's for sale 5/32" 01 TT

If I like the knife, I will make it work. About the only thing I have ruled out, is something like a Nessmuk in 3/32". I feel that it's too thin in a knife that size.

it's for sale 5/32" 01 TT

If I like the knife, I will make it work. About the only thing I have ruled out, is something like a Nessmuk in 3/32". I feel that it's too thin in a knife that size.

I would agree with you on the 3\32" being to thin on a Nessmuk.
Honestly I think I would prefer 1/8". Just for its better slicing. I have beat on some 1/8" A2 and O1. Never had a problem with it at all.

I'm partial to 1/8", I don't beat on any knife enough to require 5/32", & I like the better slicing of the thinner blade

I'm a thin steel guy, the slightly-thicker-than-3/32 CPM is about the thickest I want to go unless it's a big knife. 1/8th TT in certain situations, otherwise give me 3/32 or thinner!

I'm a thin steel guy, the slightly-thicker-than-3/32 CPM is about the thickest I want to go unless it's a big knife. 1/8th TT in certain situations, otherwise give me 3/32 or thinner!

I tend to like the thinner steels as well, but was curious as to how well a 5\32" Minimuk would slice since it has such a high grind.

My most used Hiking Buddy is 3/32" and man that thing will slice like crazy. it is really easy to maintain the edge as well. I am good with 1/8" as well. I have one Hiking Buddy in 5/32" and honestly it doesn't get used that much.

I tend to like the thinner steels as well, but was curious as to how well a 5\32" Minimuk would slice since it has such a high grind.

My most used Hiking Buddy is 3/32" and man that thing will slice like crazy. it is really easy to maintain the edge as well. I am good with 1/8" as well. I have one Hiking Buddy in 5/32" and honestly it doesn't get used that much.

A 3/32 Hiking Buddy is high on my list! 5/32 is just too thick for my tastes, even with a high grind I just don't like the feel or look of it.

Back