MN Boundary Waters ?

Easy enough to take a wrong turn, but common sense says that if things don't look like what you came in on, turn back and look at your MAP.
The story is quite vague, but says they were running out of food, of course they were, you only take what you need due to the weight. They weren't starving to death. Tens of thousands of inexperienced paddlers visit every year, most go home with great memories, some with horror stories, and sadly, a few each year die due to storms, health issues.....etc.
Moose entry point. Oyster is North. https://www.google.com/maps/place/E...6bce3d3522817e!8m2!3d47.9032372!4d-91.8670873

I was up in the BW last may with some boy scouts. I can see how you could got lost without a map but we saw at least a few people every day. Even if you just follow the shore you would find a portage or camp.

Used to go every summer with my brother for many years running.... haven't done it in decades now. We had a favorite camp site on Long Island lake. Was a long paddle in, complete with the "portage from HELL" which was an 80 rod up a hill, down into a swampy area filled with skeeters the size of eagles, and back up a hill. Worked best if you ran it. But, the pay-off was spectacular. Many fond memories... even the up close and personal "Moose incident". Not sure I have the physical chops to do that particular trip again....

These days how many people know how to read a map ??
One experience I had - asking a new hunter joining the group , compass ? Got one right here ! Didn't work ! That's ok got a spare ! Didn't work !

These days how many people know how to read a map ??
One experience I had - asking a new hunter joining the group , compass ? Got one right here ! Didn't work ! That's ok got a spare ! Didn't work !
The maps aren't made for nav. anyway, but better than signage pasted all over.
13906624_10153600106877234_3252287365874953324_n.jpg

Back