Photos Mnandi scale minute gap

On some Mnandi models ( including the only one I own so I have nothing to reference ) I notice a tiny tiny part of the end of the front scale not fully covering the titanium, I mean we're talking barley enough for you to see the titanium, but it's there.

Does yours have this scale " gap ? " I can't be the only one crazy enough to notice it right?

E5AD8409-E760-4694-AC9A-5B1E7B7C1992_zpshuxbepm0.jpg

007233CA-6590-4B82-8DEA-79EE59D874D4_zpsyn5ignmh.jpg

Two different knives pictures. I've seen this mostly with Thuya ( quite a bit ) and one that was spalted. I understand it's ridiculously a non issue as far as function, I just figured where else would I ask such an oddball question besides here?

Looking to pick up possibly another Thuya and bog, I don't use these folders I just collect them. I do use my sebenza plain blade for cutting tasks.

I have my Mnandi, a Bog Oak with Basketweave. It does not have that gap at all. I have another at home, cocobolo and Ladder Damascus, not sure about that one.

TO the OP - -

There is a Thuya inlay Mnandi for sale right now at KSF that appears in the show-side photo to have the same 'gap' issue as yours - - if not worse....

Search for item number 031515

I'm no Mnandi expert, but it looks like there is no champher on the machine hole... Maybe someone else knows if this is a good or bad sign.

ETA: I agree, that looks like a torx screw.

Last edited:
Got pics of the entire knife?
TO the OP - -

There is a Thuya inlay Mnandi for sale right now at KSF that appears in the show-side photo to have the same 'gap' issue as yours - - if not worse....

Search for item number 031515

chris-reeve-front-22__42980.1494442751.1280.1280.jpg

This one below is mine
chris-reeve-front-25__91745.1494442768.1280.1280.jpg

Photo two is the knife I own ( and can confirm the inlay has a very tiny gap and the machined hole looks flat. )

Photo number one is another knife for sale. And in response to E EvilBoffin I agree there were multiples all within the Thuya on KSF that had this gap and I didn't notice of course until receiving it ( I believe even the spalted example on CRK main site displays a tiny gap but don't hold me to that because it was hard to zoom in. )

I had no idea if there's a problem with the screw or machine hole so if there is please elaborate. I wish to be thorough in case it impacts resell value or is worth mentioning if I choose to keep it, etc. No one likes flaws, but if it's simply the way they are making them now I guess that's different.

Edited: To shave off useless information.

Last edited:
Here's some DSLR images of my Mnandi screw / machine hole and scale. It looks like they are not machining the hole like you see in James Longstreet James Longstreet photos. As I see a similar shallowness on the other Mnandis up for sale on KSF.

First image is good at showing the tiny gap as well. I wonder if @peterbright has any opinion from what I've gone through so far, as I understand he would be up there with the rest of you in the " expert " category in Mnandis.

The little orangish spots on the screw are just reflections of the flash. *
6A0A6684-42B6-443C-9E23-E765387DB04C_zpspimd9qpt.jpg

9A60E55C-8CF6-4A12-9266-46E147C61004_zpsz40gsxyb.jpg

21820A84-5FEB-473C-9A7E-E2D460E9ED9D_zpscmbtsrqb.jpg

DAC2EB4B-201B-48C2-9AB4-E9F7517A425C_zpsdrunbsnr.jpg

1EDC9C94-55A5-4082-BC69-A35EC323990C_zpsmzxw2lao.jpg

Here's a bog and spalted for machine hole reference, just go over to KSF, I don't see any of the holes machined like James photos.. they all look basically flat now.

485FDD2D-9FA2-41AC-9B0A-D9D088885DCF_zps0jh7zya5.jpg

0825D360-A363-498D-A51F-02A476DAC730_zpswjxyn7hb.jpg

Last edited:
I have one made in March 2016 that has a champhered hole and two made later (October 2016, April 2017) that have a flat hole.

I have one made in March 2016 that has a champhered hole and two made later (October 2016, April 2017) that have a flat hole.

That's bizarre! Thanks blanco

Comparing some sebenza 21s even the 2017 have a less " emphasized " champhered hole compared to earlier models ( 2015 for example ).. but it's still there. Unlike the Mnandis which are apparently hit or miss completely.

Last edited:
Dullknivescut -
Not sure if the below photo is of the actual knife you own (item # 031515), because KSF emphatically states that their online stock is updated 'real time', and should disappear off their site the moment it is sold...

In any case :
This pic is a pretty obvious example of 'shrinking' inlay fitment.

Now you've got me concerned. I'm currently considering purchase of a new Damascus Mnandi. It would be my first Mnandi. I will be none too happy if this expen$ive lil' morsel of a knife arrives with the same (unacceptable) problem... :(

chris-reeve-mnandi-damascus-15__20667.1489679816.1280.1280.jpg

That is interesting. Didn't notice. So maybe they changed that production step? As you have both, which style do you prefer? I could imagine that having no champher any longer doesn't bother. Does it?

Although comparing small details by using pics can lead to wrong judgement, just because of slightly different view angle and magnification, I would offer a bet that the champfer of the Sebenza hole has been changed too, as Dullknivescut indicated.

Macassar large 21, made Feb-2012:

21, Macassar, Spirograph, 10

Spalted Beech large 21, made Jan-2017:

21, Spalted Beech, Basket Weave, 10

That is interesting. Didn't notice. So maybe they changed that production step? As you have both, which style do you prefer? I could imagine that having no champher any longer doesn't bother. Does it?

Although comparing small details by using pics can lead to wrong judgement, just because of slightly different view angle and magnification, I would offer a bet that the champfer of the Sebenza hole has been changed too, as Dullknivescut indicated.

Macassar large 21, made Feb-2012:

21, Macassar, Spirograph, 10

Spalted Beech large 21, made Jan-2017:

21, Spalted Beech, Basket Weave, 10

I can confirm that this is the case with my spalted beech ( made in 2017 ) vs my elder burl ( 2015 ) both sebenza 21 large.

I've just looked at them side by side. I prefer the older look but it doesn't bother me as much as the Mnandi.

Dullknivescut -
Not sure if the below photo is of the actual knife you own (item # 031515), because KSF emphatically states that their online stock is updated 'real time', and should disappear off their site the moment it is sold...

In any case :
This pic is a pretty obvious example of 'shrinking' inlay fitment.

Now you've got me concerned. I'm currently considering purchase of a new Damascus Mnandi. It would be my first Mnandi. I will be none too happy if this expen$ive lil' morsel of a knife arrives with the same (unacceptable) problem... :(

chris-reeve-mnandi-damascus-15__20667.1489679816.1280.1280.jpg

It is my knife photo, once an item sells and if you're the one who purchased it you can repull up the photo by going to orders -> then click the name of the order and it takes you to the sold out page.

* I also updated with better photos below.

Ah - that makes sense :thumbsup: ...

So, what do you propose to do with this knife now? is it enough of a bothersome issue for you to return it to KSF or exchange for another ??

Ah - that makes more sense then.

So, what do you propose to do with this knife now? is it enough of a bothersome issue for you to return it to KSF or exchange for another ??

Not sure to be honest. If I do return I always make sure to ship priority mail plus insured. Don't want people to think I like to play around with business orders, but I'll have to think about it.

If I do I'm probably going to purchase another sebenza, I haven't had a problem with them.

I was going to purchase another damascus sebenza this week, might add a plain blade sebenza to the list if I do return this.

Very interesting about the camphered machine hole discovery though. I wonder what changed for both the sebenza and Mnandi and why?

Very interesting about the camphered machine hole discovery though. I wonder what changed for both the sebenza and Mnandi and why?

Well. If I take a close look at my Sebenza pics aboce, it seems to me that with the old style the hole was closer to the inlays, if you know what I mean. Could be that they wanted to generate more ti material between the hole and the inlay material. So if you just reduce the outer diameter of the hole and keep the champfer as it was, they would have reduced the inner diameter of the hole, which they may wanted to avoid. Therefore they shortened the champher "ramp" in order to keep the inner diameter of the hole as it was. Just speculating.

Back