Photos Mnandi scale minute gap

Macassar large 21, made Feb-2012:
Spalted Beech large 21, made Jan-2017:

What stands out the most to me in this pic is that you can see how much resin it takes to stabilize the Spalted Beech, compared to the solid wood. You can see into the Beech, which is a pretty cool effect.

Well. If I take a close look at my Sebenza pics aboce, it seems to me that with the old style the hole was closer to the inlays, if you know what I mean. Could be that they wanted to generate more ti material between the hole and the inlay material. So if you just reduce the outer diameter of the hole and keep the champfer as it was, they would have reduced the inner diameter of the hole, which they may wanted to avoid. Therefore they shortened the champher "ramp" in order to keep the inner diameter of the hole as it was. Just speculating.

Well it's a better guess than anything I got, I personally prefer the older look but won't lose sleep over the machined hole difference.

The shrinking inlay fit on some of these
Mnandis is another story however. Maybe I'm just a Sebenza guy.

That is interesting. Didn't notice. So maybe they changed that production step? As you have both, which style do you prefer? I could imagine that having no champher any longer doesn't bother. Does it?

Although comparing small details by using pics can lead to wrong judgement, just because of slightly different view angle and magnification, I would offer a bet that the champfer of the Sebenza hole has been changed too, as Dullknivescut indicated.

Macassar large 21, made Feb-2012:

21, Macassar, Spirograph, 10

Spalted Beech large 21, made Jan-2017:

21, Spalted Beech, Basket Weave, 10
I definitely prefer the earlier look. What I always love about CRKs are the small details they put in knives that you don't always notice but when you do you say "wow, that's cool they did that." That said I never noticed the style of the hole at all until this post so I don't think it will bother me that they changed it. My guess is that it served no purpose as nothing screws in there so they cut it out to simplify.

This is too funny, and makes me feel good that I'm not the only one. I found the same thing when i was looking at purchasing one back in early May. Even sent my brother a picture and description that it bothered me. I noticed the gap towards the back and a pivot gap. Like you, I get very picky when deciding on one and look for every detail. When all you have is pictures to look at, you get pretty picky I suppose. I'm sure in hand, these little nit picks would disappear.
IMG_7948.PNG

Here's some DSLR images of my Mnandi screw / machine hole and scale. It looks like they are not machining the hole like you see in James Longstreet James Longstreet photos. As I see a similar shallowness on the other Mnandis up for sale on KSF.

First image is good at showing the tiny gap as well. I wonder if peterbright peterbright has any opinion from what I've gone through so far, as I understand he would be up there with the rest of you in the " expert " category in Mnandis.

The little orangish spots on the screw are just reflections of the flash. *
6A0A6684-42B6-443C-9E23-E765387DB04C_zpspimd9qpt.jpg

9A60E55C-8CF6-4A12-9266-46E147C61004_zpsz40gsxyb.jpg

21820A84-5FEB-473C-9A7E-E2D460E9ED9D_zpscmbtsrqb.jpg

DAC2EB4B-201B-48C2-9AB4-E9F7517A425C_zpsdrunbsnr.jpg

1EDC9C94-55A5-4082-BC69-A35EC323990C_zpsmzxw2lao.jpg

Here's a bog and spalted for machine hole reference, just go over to KSF, I don't see any of the holes machined like James photos.. they all look basically flat now.

485FDD2D-9FA2-41AC-9B0A-D9D088885DCF_zps0jh7zya5.jpg

0825D360-A363-498D-A51F-02A476DAC730_zpswjxyn7hb.jpg

Point One: Having many of something does not an expert make. Example: I have many ex-wives, but I am not an expert on marriage or divorce.

Point Two: I checked each of my 43 Mnandis and found 2 (Both Thuya Burls) that upon cursory examination showed a similar gap.

Point Three: This is not a problem for me, but I am not you.

Point Four: If I were to choose another of my Mnandis to be a user, this "gap" could help me choose.

Point Five: I just spent 26 hours out of a total of 34 hours driving to South Florida and back (1,870 miles) to pick up a new "Master Chef" and set a new personal record for consumption of Monster Energy Drinks in that time frame. I am beyond "wired".

Last edited:
Point One: Having many of something does not an expert make. Example: I have many ex-wives, but I am not an expert on marriage or divorce.

Point Two: I checked each of my 43 Mnandis and found 2 (Both Thuya Burls) that upon cursory examination showed a similar gap.

Point Three: This is not a problem for me, but I am not you.

Point Four: If I were to choose another my Mnandis to be a user, this "gap" could help me choose.

Point Five: I just spent 26 hours out of a total of 34 hours driving to South Florida and back (1,870 miles) to pick up a new "Master Chef" and set a new personal record for consumption of Monster Energy Drinks in that time frame. I am beyond "wired".

It is slightly curious that it's again the Thuya that displays the gap?

Expert or not at least you have a large enough pool to rule out beginners luck.

Thanks for your time

This is too funny, and makes me feel good that I'm not the only one. I found the same thing when i was looking at purchasing one back in early May. Even sent my brother a picture and description that it bothered me. I noticed the gap towards the back and a pivot gap. Like you, I get very picky when deciding on one and look for every detail. When all you have is pictures to look at, you get pretty picky I suppose. I'm sure in hand, these little nit picks would disappear.
View attachment 725056

Yeah the way I see it if I had a huge collection or I planned it to be a heavy user I wouldn't mind.

I'm betting it's limited to the Thuya since I've yet to definitively see another kind of wood similar or hear someone come forward about it but that's just my assumption.

Personally with my limited funds it does bother me that a 400 dollar knife has such a flaw, and it disturbs me further I missed this in the original images until I received it. You're correct in the sense that it does also become less noticeable once in hand, but I could have put the funds towards a sebenza 21 instead.

My sebenza 21 collection is growing quite steadily, my Mnandi I'm 0 for 2 so far.

I was going to purchase a basketweave damascus inlayed sebenza 21 tomorrow anyway, might add another " discontinued "
Plain blade inlay to the list now. Focusing on sebenzas and not Mnandi would help me manage my funds anyway. I'm no gentleman. :cool:

Last edited:
I've had the impression (but could be wrong) that you purchsed your Mnandi just recently. Maybe there is a chance to work something out with KSF? Particularely if you consider buying a Sebenza 21?

I've had the impression (but could be wrong) that you purchsed your Mnandi just recently. Maybe there is a chance to work something out with KSF? Particularely if you consider buying a Sebenza 21?

Yeah it's no problem at all just don't like to bother a good company if I don't have to. I'm within the return range still ( haven't used it. )

The reason I was annoyed with myself was because It was clearly depicted in the image I just missed it when I purchased

Otherwise I do enjoy the almost clean look of the Thuya ( not a fan of the spotting seen on some. ) I've been a pretty good customer though so I'm sure they will not mind if I do. I'm just thinking on it if I wish to have a Thuya at all it's not a bad specimen, I doubt I would go with this wood again for the Mnandi even though I do love the look.. out of two Mnandis I've purchased that were Thuya they both had this " shrinking " effect.

I've been wishfully interested in a thuya Large at some point--I really love the look. I wonder if the 21 inlays may have similar potential for this? Any chance it's not shrinking but something in the manufacturing chain?

I've been wishfully interested in a thuya Large at some point--I really love the look. I wonder if the 21 inlays may have similar potential for this? Any chance it's not shrinking but something in the manufacturing chain?

Good question, not sure.

For the record I have no idea if it's shrinking after manufacturing or it's just ill fit from the manufacturing process itself.

I'll refrain from using the word " shrinking " in the future to avoid confusion over this. I'd definitely get some nice photos before any purchase though.

On some Mnandi models ( including the only one I own so I have nothing to reference ) I notice a tiny tiny part of the end of the front scale not fully covering the titanium, I mean we're talking barley enough for you to see the titanium, but it's there.

Does yours have this scale " gap ? " I can't be the only one crazy enough to notice it right?

E5AD8409-E760-4694-AC9A-5B1E7B7C1992_zpshuxbepm0.jpg

007233CA-6590-4B82-8DEA-79EE59D874D4_zpsyn5ignmh.jpg

Two different knives pictures. I've seen this mostly with Thuya ( quite a bit ) and one that was spalted. I understand it's ridiculously a non issue as far as function, I just figured where else would I ask such an oddball question besides here?

Looking to pick up possibly another Thuya and bog, I don't use these folders I just collect them. I do use my sebenza plain blade for cutting tasks.

Hey-- I just became aware of this thread. We contacted Chris Reeve and they said this was totally within spec.

I recognize (because I have handled a ton of them) that this is unusual. We can totally take it back if you want to send it back to us.

Thanks for being our customer--we'll always take good care of you.

Hey-- I just became aware of this thread. We contacted Chris Reeve and they said this was totally within spec.

I recognize (because I have handled a ton of them) that this is unusual. We can totally take it back if you want to send it back to us.

Thanks for being our customer--we'll always take good care of you.

Thanks for your response, you're the best dealer I've encountered.

Back