Mnandi - what am I mising?

I am relatively new to the CRK world. I have two: a L21 sebenza insingo and an umnumzaan tanto. Both are fantastic knives. I've also had an inkosi drop point that I've moved along. I'm not able to collect multiple knives of any maker, but find room for one more, here and there, to try something new. My collection at any time is about 15 knives, mixed folders and fixed blades, and to try something new usually means something else gets moved out.

In looking at the Mnandi, I see there is a tremendous amount of enthusiasm for them. They seem like a nice knife, but the don't capture my attention.

So, could you Mnandi aficionados please tell me what I'm missing out on? What caught your attention about them?

Thanks in advance,
TR

Last edited:
A small robust office-friendly knife with multiple inlay and damascus options. My personal favorite CRK offering. If They don't capture your attention , it's probably not your thing though. Probably best to handle one prior to purchase. They do hold their value well though, especially the older offerings.

For me, the Mnandi is the most beautiful of all CRK's. It is quite small, the smallest CRK in the current lineup. To me, it is a work of art. Everything about it is perfect, beautiful, functional. I have two: a Cocobolo/ladder damascus for off-work EDC and a Bog Oak/basketweave damascus for work EDC. Both I carry in their respective CRK slip pouches. I have no problem using them, although they are more like tertiary backups as my primary and secondary CRK's get the lion's share of the fun. I mainly admire them and marvel at their beauty and elegance.

T, how big is your hand? You might find that a Mnandi swims in it. I have a couple knives (940, etc.) that have so much praise, so many users, but not really the knife for me due to smaller size.

I have tried them a few times over the years. Mnandi's and Small Sebenzas check in, then check out a relatively short time later. Too small for my paws.

I usually carry two knives. I bought a Mnandi on a whim for use as a front pocket/light use/unobtrusive carry option. That was in late September 2016. I now have 46 of them. Be careful...they are addictive.

Mnandis are great knives. I've really wanted to like them but two have come and gone from my personal Knife selection. I actually consider them the overall best bang for your buck CRK. Alas, I too find them too small to be practical for my personal uses.

I usually carry two knives. I bought a Mnandi on a whim for use as a front pocket/light use/unobtrusive carry option. That was in late September 2016. I now have 46 of them. Be careful...they are addictive.

You passed the inflection point of intervention about 39 M's ago, even if we justify one M per day. You're good to go onto your 50 and then why stop there? :D

I don't have particularly large mitts, but I like the size of my L21 and Umnumzaan. Fortunately, I work in a fabrication environment. While I am in the office side (engineering and project management), there's no issue with me carrying a larger knife and scaring anyone. Most folks here have a knife and carrying is often a topic of conversation. I typically have a large folder clipped in my pocket, and on occasion have a small fixed blade in a slip sheath as my carry knife for the day. I really like high quality knives, and appreciate that they are the pinnacle of precision. One criterion for my folders is that they must be able to be opened one-handed. I'm constantly finding myself with something in my hand that I need to cut, so I have to fish out my knife and open it without putting down whatever it is I'm holding.

Can the Mnandi be opened one-handed? Looks like the traditional, off-hand thumbnail is it. Am I missing something?

i think you kinda answered your own question.

Typical office, you pull out a flipper or large folder that you flick open and a bunch of wankers start :poop:tin their pants.

Pull out a Mnandi or William Henry, clumsily use two hands to open the thing, and everyone goes, 'Ooo well isn't that fancy n neat. What do you do with that thing'? Well, I sure as hell don't cut stuff with it. :rolleyes:

I have no problem opening a mnandi one handed.
And? What's your strategy? I only ask for T's sake because I don't own a Mnandi and I just googoled this, 'New model Chris Reeve Mnandi one handed opening'. I know better than to go off one tuber's one minute vid, that's why I ask for your input. Thing looks quite small to me.

I have no problem operating my neck knives one handed including putting them back in their sheaths--it's mandatory criteria for me or I won't carry it--but that doesn't mean others won't have problems or even be incapable. T's hands might be twice the size of yours.

I tried a Mnandi for the first time at BLADE this year. Quickly decided it wasn't for me. People say it's a good "office carry" option but to be honest the size isn't that much different than a small Sebenza so the only thing that makes it "office friendly" is the blade shape and presence of wood vs titanium. I suppose for some that makes it friendlier.

The Mnandi is a beautiful knife though but just wasn't for me. I ended up picking up an Umfaan to be my "office friendly" knife to replace a SAK Cadet.

I tried a Mnandi for the first time at BLADE this year. Quickly decided it wasn't for me. People say it's a good "office carry" option but to be honest the size isn't that much different than a small Sebenza so the only thing that makes it "office friendly" is the blade shape and presence of wood vs titanium. I suppose for some that makes it friendlier.

The Mnandi is a beautiful knife though but just wasn't for me. I ended up picking up an Umfaan to be my "office friendly" knife to replace a SAK Cadet.
It's half the weight of the small sebenza which is noticeably lighter and offers a few more options for carry such as a shirt pocket or the coin pocket for jeans as a 2nd knife. I do carry both to the office but I don't like the sebenza anywhere but in my pants pocket. If I had to pick one knife I'd pick the sebenza since it can do more but thankfully I don't have to pick one.

Last edited:
And? What's your strategy?
quick video of me doing it... https://streamable.com/rn7uw

Edit:
There are two ways I've found to easily open the mnandi one handed.

The first is the easiest - the pinch. Pinching the blade with the thumb and middle finger while holding/pulling on the handle with the wring and pinky fingers. Once the blade is clear, I use the thumb to complete the rotation.

The second method is to just use the thumb to complete the rotation from start to finish. This seems like it could put unnecessary pressure on the pivot and cause issues over time, so I don't use that one often.

Last edited:
I've had my hands on two Mnandi's. For me they were just too small. I did appreciate the detail work on them and I suspect that's what some are interested in. I had the opportunity to see a small collection and to hold those were breath taking. The different woods, the scroll/graving on them were defiantly art work. If I had the money, I'd be one of those that would collect them just to admire the workmanship and have bragging rights.

Mnandi's are svelte yet minimalistic in a sophisticated sort of way.

But one hand opening with a Mnandi was never as intuitive as I wanted it to be...I was spoiled by years of collecting Spydercos.

From the CRK lineup, I prefer small 21's with inlays. I've moved my 2 Mnandis because I had to "think" and slow down too much opening them. Good thing about them, however, they're cheap to test drive. You'll always get your investment back as long as you don't overspend on the front end!

Go for it!

Back