More Updated Pics KA-BAR 1246 Camp Knife

Great looking blade. This thing would be a dream if it had the Tooj handle (and wasn't discontinued of course lol)

Great looking blade. This thing would be a dream if it had the Tooj handle (and wasn't discontinued of course lol)

Thanks BRL. The Tooj handle on my 1249 has a tendency to crush my pinky. But the kukri is a blade heavy beast that wants to pull away from you. I think your right about the Tooj on the 1246 that just might be a winning combo with the lighter blade.
Noooo crush my pinky is NOT girlyman:D

My neighbor was getting rid of some apple wood from a tree he lost last year. Obviously a propane guy!!! So I went over and collected it. I'm doing some baton work with my 1246. Everytime I set down my baton my dog Dixie would grab it and strip the bark lol she has three of them so far. The 1246 performed perfect no binding, no issues. I went against the grain on a few. Just smacked it harder and pop the wood split right open. Love it!!!!

Last edited:
has anyone done a side by side comparison with this and a cutlass?

has anyone done a side by side comparison with this and a cutlass?

I haven't yet. But a cutlass is in my future. I'm going to compare a 1248 and a 1249. 1066vik said he would mail me his for a 48, 49 comp. I will throw the the 1246 in the mix and give 15 feet of cedar log hell.

I have a barely used dusty one of those....forgot I even had it until now!
The three camping trips it went on and although good I prefer my heavy bowie with tooj grip

I have a barely used dusty one of those....forgot I even had it until now!
The three camping trips it went on and although good I prefer my heavy bowie with tooj grip

Yea I'd like to feel the tooj grip on this camp knife also. It is a little squirrely when I get to swinging it. Lol

I guess those be discontinued
Yea they are. You can find the KA-BAR 1246 model number but It is a Tanto blade now IIRC. And I think the 1244 was the same camp knife but with a kydex sheath. NCSlice has a killer looking 1246. In fact his is the reason I hunted mine down for 6 months before I scored.

Last edited:
Mine came with the factory plastic sheath and it apparently had something in it like sand or a rock that left some crazy scratches all down each side.
I have since traded for the leather with another member here. Much more my speed.

Wish the 1246 was still in production. Not easy to find like most disco . Looks good striped :thumbsup:

Back