motor recommendation for surface grinder???

Well, I've had that thing sitting out there for awhile, but with two shows on consecutive week-ends, I haven't had time to mess with it. I went out and tore the three phase Baldor off of it today.

I'm curious to hear what you guys would recommend as a replacement. I got a quote for a new in the box Baldor, all the same except single phase (56 frame, 3450 rpm, 1/2 hp, TEFC) for $120.

It seems like 1/2 would be enough for a s. grinder, but many out there are at least 3/4 if not 1 to 1-1/2 hp.

Any help would be appreciated.

I know one thing for sure, even though the Baldor that was on it is only 2 months old and used 3 times, NOBODY wants it. Maybe I'll keep if for a spare anchor
wink.gif

Thanks,
Nick

Nick, What rpm is the original motor? I would think you should stay with the same rpm but kick the hp up at least 1/2 hp. I have a baldor 1 horse 1750 rpm but dont know if it will bolt up. Bruce

I think you can buy a phase converter for a couple hundred dollars. That way you could keep the grinder all original.

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Nick,you might try selling your 3 phase to local machine shops,many of them are on 3 phase.Bruce,if your motor is 56 frame and shaft size is the same as Nicks,probably 5/8" ,it will work.

------------------
MIKE

Hi Nick I cured my S.G. motor woes on my Brown&Sharp 6x18 with a 2hp.3600 rpm Marathon from Northern Hydraulics for around 140.00. I use it to taper with a belt conversion and put the rock back on for folder parts. Been two years now without a hassle. You might try www.northernhydraulics.com if that dont work e-mail me and I will find you a 800 number. Good luck GenO

------------------
GenO Denning
CavemanEngineering.com

Thanks for all the replies guys
smile.gif

I left some info out of that first post that I should have covered.

I HAVE looked into phase converters, but at about $160-200, it isn't a great idea. Because the motor is only 1/2 hp now, run it through a converter and it will be about 3/10 hp (not much left over). For that price I can bolt on a new motor and have lots of power.
wink.gif

I think I worded that first post wrong, because what I was trying to say is that the Baldor I got a quote for is EXACTLY the same motor, but it's single phase.

The frame is 56, but it's just mounted on a side plate and drives the machine via pulley/belt.

GenO, thanks for the tip. I like the idea of making a belt conversion for tapering tangs and cleaning up damascus (when I get making it figured out). But throwing the rock back on for folder parts. I think for the rock the 1/2 hp is enough, but for a belt conversion I think the 1-2 hp would be nice.

Thanks for the advice guys.

GenO, do you have a photo of your belt conversion? I am trying to figure out the best way to rig this up so that it's easy to go from stone to belt and back.

Thank you
biggrin.gif

Nick

Hey Nick I just found out the web page is down for a couple of days, but I think there is a pic of it in the shop tour. I have a show on me at the moment but after the show I will get some detailed pics up of the grinder conversion. Oh Enco has 1800 rpm c-face motors on sale also, they offer a 1 1/2 hp for 119.95 but I think that is slower than the OEM motors check them out at www.use-enco.com. Take care GenO

------------------
GenO Denning
CavemanEngineering.com

GenO and Kelly-

Thank you very much!
smile.gif

I really appreciate that. I think that's what I'm going to do, now just finding the time to do it...

I've been so busy with work that I haven't even got the new motor yet.

No wonder I'm not ready for the Eugene show yet
wink.gif

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you doing that for me!
Nick

Back