MSP Core 4 Stove (Core 4 Bio-reactor Multifunction Stove)

Try rubbing dish soap all over the bottom of a clean kettle/pot right before you cook/boil on a wood stove. Seems to make it easier to clean the black off when you get home.

I should do that video huh. I just ordered a trangia so we'll see when it arrives ;)

Read about that dishsoap trick before... sounds a bit messy to be honest.
Do you just rub it on and let it dry on there? how long does that take?
I'll give it a try next time I go out.

I'm looking forward to that video :)

I put it on my pot right before i use it. Apply liberally and leave it wet. I never tried letting it dry though??
Now days I leave my pots blackish but my daughter always ends ip scrubbing them clean :)

I put it on my pot right before i use it. Apply liberally and leave it wet. I never tried letting it dry though??
Now days I leave my pots blackish but my daughter always ends ip scrubbing them clean :)

A black pot is more efficient at absorbing heat. In the kitchen that makes little difference—though I do let the bottoms of my indoor pots blacken.

In the field, with a backpacking stove, you want every advantage. A shiny pot that reflects heat away is not an advantage. Wash the outside of your pots. But don’t scrub the black off.

A black pot is more efficient at absorbing heat. In the kitchen that makes little difference—though I do let the bottoms of my indoor pots blacken.

In the field, with a backpacking stove, you want every advantage. A shiny pot that reflects heat away is not an advantage. Wash the outside of your pots. But don’t scrub the black off.

Good point?

I use to clean it all the time and now i just give it a quick scrub to get the powdery soot/ashes off and leave the rest.
On the uther hand My daughter likes it clean to keep our gear clean as possible. Black does absorb heat quicker but it personal prefference. If i'm using a wood stove speed is usually not an issue for me. if I'm using an UL setup with alcohol it seems to make some difference if its darker. My main thing is I like a shirter wider pot for wood stoves so the flame can contact more surface area before leaving the pot. This has made a big difference in my results on faster times than a black pot. Less than a minute difference with 2 identical pots (one shiny and one blackend).
really comes down to an individuals uses. Speed, cleanliness, efficiency, ect.

Made some tea out in the woods with my new Bushcraft UK this afternoon.... ofcoarse the MSP Core was with me :)
Batonned a piece of beechwood, made some nice thin curls to start my fire, loaded my stove and lit the thing up with my firesteel.
Worked like a charm... tea tastes so much better this way! Too bad the weather didn't contribute to the fun as it started to rain while I was prepping for my fire :(

I'm trying to get better in estimating the amount of wood I need, but I always end up prepping too much, the Core 4 is so efficient!
Used less than half of the log in the first pic to get about 400ml of water boiling. The log is beechwood, about 50 cm long and about 7 cm in diameter.

Some quick cellphone pics:

Used a folding saw to get a nice dry piece of beechwood from a dead tree:
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_06.JPG

Baton it into nice sticks to feed my fire
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_07.JPG

Thin curls to light with a firesteel:
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_08.JPG

First flames... yay, always give me a nice feeling :)
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_09.JPG

Lets get cooking
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_10.JPG

Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_11.JPG

See the wood that still available on the right side of the stove:
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_12.JPG

Ofcoarse when I got home I realized I forgot to try the dishwash soap trick on my kettle ... sigh... of to scrub my kettle now ;)

I got some questions about how I carry 'all that gear', so I took some pics to show the compact size of it all.
Below are all the seperate parts:

The stove is inside the black baggy with MSP Core print on it, the cup fits in the kettle, inside the cup fit a package of noodles.
I carry my water in a Platypus 2L blatter, fill it to my needs before I go.
Pick a knife depending on my mood :) and don't forget the folding saw (forgot it on these pics, but it's about the size of the knife and very light weight) and a titanium spork to eat comfortably.

Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_13.JPG

All my cooking gear is inside the grey cinchbag with the orange paracord to prevent everything in my backpack getting covered with soot.

Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_14.JPG

This all fit in my daypack (Deuter Orion about 22 L) (forgot exact size of the backpack).
Leaves me plenty of space for a raincoat, sweater, muslibars, dog food or whatever :)

Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_15.JPG

Made some tea out in the woods with my new Bushcraft UK this afternoon.... ofcoarse the MSP Core was with me :)
Batonned a piece of beechwood, made some nice thin curls to start my fire, loaded my stove and lit the thing up with my firesteel.
Worked like a charm... tea tastes so much better this way! Too bad the weather didn't contribute to the fun as it started to rain while I was prepping for my fire :(

I'm trying to get better in estimating the amount of wood I need, but I always end up prepping too much, the Core 4 is so efficient!
Used less than half of the log in the first pic to get about 400ml of water boiling. The log is beechwood, about 50 cm long and about 7 cm in diameter.

Some quick cellphone pics:

Used a folding saw to get a nice dry piece of beechwood from a dead tree:
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_06.JPG

Baton it into nice sticks to feed my fire
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_07.JPG

Thin curls to light with a firesteel:
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_08.JPG

First flames... yay, always give me a nice feeling :)
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_09.JPG

Lets get cooking
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_10.JPG

Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_11.JPG

See the wood that still available on the right side of the stove:
Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_12.JPG

Ofcoarse when I got home I realized I forgot to try the dishwash soap trick on my kettle ... sigh... of to scrub my kettle now ;)
I'm Still working on the "how much wood" myself.

I got some questions about how I carry 'all that gear', so I took some pics to show the compact size of it all.
Below are all the seperate parts:

The stove is inside the black baggy with MSP Core print on it, the cup fits in the kettle, inside the cup fit a package of noodles.
I carry my water in a Platypus 2L blatter, fill it to my needs before I go.
Pick a knife depending on my mood :) and don't forget the folding saw (forgot it on these pics, but it's about the size of the knife and very light weight) and a titanium spork to eat comfortably.

Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_13.JPG

All my cooking gear is inside the grey cinchbag with the orange paracord to prevent everything in my backpack getting covered with soot.

Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_14.JPG

This all fit in my daypack (Deuter Orion about 22 L) (forgot exact size of the backpack).
Leaves me plenty of space for a raincoat, sweater, muslibars, dog food or whatever :)

Spyderco%252520Buscraft%252520UK_15.JPG

seems you already got a good pack setup and some great pictures!

Went for a quick camping trip this weekend....
Coffee made on the Core 4 :D

the surroundings
LB_00.jpg

LB_06.jpg

the tools :)
LB_03.jpg

Starting with some coffee at breakfast
LB_08.jpg

And ofcoarse some coffee after dinner
LB_05.jpg

Campire with something stronger to drink :)
LB_04.jpg

First attempt at a video :)
Can't embed it from this host... or am I doing something wrong?
Hope you guys can see it.

[video]https://vid.me/xtzE[/video]

[video=vimeo;142362588]https://vimeo.com/142362588[/video]

Last edited:
Went for a quick camping trip this weekend....
Coffee made on the Core 4 :D

the surroundings
LB_00.jpg

LB_06.jpg

the tools :)
LB_03.jpg

Starting with some coffee at breakfast
LB_08.jpg

And ofcoarse some coffee after dinner
LB_05.jpg

Campire with something stronger to drink :)
LB_04.jpg

First attempt at a video :)
Can't embed it from this host... or am I doing something wrong?
Hope you guys can see it.

[video]https://vid.me/xtzE[/video]

Great pictures! Seems like you got Using the Core 4 down!

Sweet thread, just ordered the Ultimate Core 4 package. Might be time to retire my old MSR Whisperlite.

Sweet thread, just ordered the Ultimate Core 4 package. Might be time to retire my old MSR Whisperlite.

Its fun to use a White gas stove and i still do on occasion but I love wood fires. Let us know how you like it and post a fee pictures when you can.

Yeah, "retire" was just an exaggeration, don't plan to get rid of it or anything.

I have messed around with some diy rocket stoves in the past, but somehow never knew that stuff like this was on the market. Def look forward to checking out the MSP stove.

I think it's mainly just bigger and has two feed ports, iirc.

My one criticism of their web site is that it would be nice if they had a comparison chart or side-by-by summaries for the different models. I found it pretty confusing at first.

Back