Mud Turtle Passaround

aw crikey...forgot. i should get this out tomorrow....

YC...it's on its way. i sent you a BF email with tracking. if you don't get it (and want it), let me know....

I'm new in this corner, but I bet I could get a couple of vouches if necessary.
May I get in on this? Would love to check it out.

I'm new in this corner, but I bet I could get a couple of vouches if necessary.
May I get in on this? Would love to check it out.

Sure!

Thats the whole reason for doing the passaround. I want some folks to get to use a JK they may not have... yet. :p

I'd like the opportunity to give it a go as well, if it's still making rounds.
I'm relatively new to this forum and fixed blades with the exception of a few cheap Buck knives and a few that I have forged.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

I'd like the opportunity to give it a go as well, if it's still making rounds.
I'm relatively new to this forum and fixed blades with the exception of a few cheap Buck knives and a few that I have forged.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Just because your from the boot, I got to say yeah!

It would be nice to have another southerner experience some of that 01 goodness. :p

The Mud Turtle has landed (or plopped or crept in or...whatever mud turtles do) in KY. I got a delivery notice from USPS and when I picked up the box imagine my shock/horror to see

But relief quickly came when I found the MT safely in the box and soon in my hand.

First impressions are fantastic. My 1st two thoughts (not sure which was first as they happened so quickly, which is unusual for me) were "Damn, that's a serious hunk of steel" and "Wow, that feels really good in hand."

Shortly thereafter I got a turtle bite on my finger. Don't blame the MT, I'll take full responsibility for not respecting it's space. That lead to my next thought "Ouch", followed by "that's a really clean cut, this knife has a really good edge on it", then "crap, I better take care of this before I bleed on the floor".

I'll try to get a group shot of the JK knives in the house this evening.

lol. excellent. love the commentary (not the turtle bite). good stuff. glad it arrived (almost) safely. :thumbup:

Glad it made it safely, so to speak.

Got to watch them Turtle bites! They'll take off a finger right quick!

Since the Mud Turtle is in town we decided to have a little JK family reunion.

Top to bottom: Mud Turtle XL blank, Hiker III blank, Mud Turtle, Camp & Trail, LPK+ (?), Riverwoods Companion, "The Thing", and WoodKarver blank.

You'll have to forgive a few of MT's KY cousins. They're just redneck enough to show up for pictures naked. :rolleyes:

My time With the Mud Turtle is coming to a close. 1st: I'd like to thank Heath for conducting the pass-around and letting me participate. 2nd: Thank you to Mr. K for making such a fantastic knife and keeping this forum open. It's an awesome collection of people around here. Now down to my evaluation of the MT.

My initial thoughts were reinforced. This is a big knife, much larger than anything I typically need (so says they guy with an XL version waiting in the wings). BUT, it feels so good in the hand and the balance is so nice that it doesn't feel ackward or cumbersome. There are only a few chores (field dressing and skinning game) that I really think the size would be a hinderence. That said I'm confident I could process a deer with it without it getting in its own way.

The size (width, length, & circumference) of the handle feel "just right" in my hand. It's thin enough to allow multiple different grips, but there is enough to hold onto during heavier work. The only two nits I can pick are small and personal prefenece things. On mine I will break the edge of the spine (only where my thumb falls during detail work) for comfort and I will round the edges of the scales a little more.

This knife (and it's a quality shared by the other JK knives I've been fortunate to use) wants to be used and I don't think it could be used up in a couple of lifetimes.

Turtle on a turtle

Pass me the next name/address and I'll ship it this week.

Cool - this knife is bigger than I was thinking originally.

Not a bad thing - big knives need love too.

I emailed my information to heef -

best

mqqn

Awesome - I'll have to get the requisite beef tenderloin roll for the review process.

The things I do for you guys I tell 'ya......

best

mqqn

Back