Mud Turtle Passaround

Awesome - I'll have to get the requisite beef tenderloin roll for the review process.

The things I do for you guys I tell 'ya......

beef tenderloin sounds good for dinner, definitely want to have some of that.....oh well, pics will suffice for now.

Awesome - I'll have to get the requisite beef tenderloin roll for the review process.

The things I do for you guys I tell 'ya......

best

mqqn

What time should we be there, I'll bring the beer :D

The Mud Turtle touched down in the cornfields today and was waiting for me when I arrived home from work!

I took some pictures with three other JKs - the Rule Number 9, the Twig Mangler and the XD XM Modern Bowie -

DSC_7588.JPG

DSC_7590.JPG

DSC_7591.JPG

DSC_7593.JPG

DSC_7595.JPG

DSC_7596.JPG

DSC_7599.JPG

DSC_7600.JPG

The Turtle will help me work on the bike tomorrow, and we'll do some yard chores over the weekend, then cut up some filet.

First impression, a beefy handful of JK 01. I think you could do just about anything with this blade. Now I get some time to find out!

best

mqqn

oh wow. i just realized how big the twig mangler is! :eek: veryyyy interesting. thanks Andy. looking forward to the rest of it....

Sun came out so I took a couple quick shots for this morning -

DSC_7654.JPG

DSC_7655.JPG

The knife is reminding me of a hiker, but with a larger handle and larger overall.

best

mqqn

Nice comparison photos Andy. I can't remember if I saw that bowie at John's house. Might have to add one of those to my arsenal.😆

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nice comparison photos Andy. I can't remember if I saw that bowie at John's house. Might have to add one of those to my arsenal.😆

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hey Chief!

I probably had it with me at the class, but if not I would be happy to send it out to you to play with for a while.

I always wondered why that design did not generate more interest, I think it was one of John's best grinds.

http://www.iammoon.com/albums/knives/JK Knife/XD Series/index.html

It is a little beast, for sure!

best

mqqn

Filet roll cleaned.

The MT handled the chore beautifully - it was easy to get the silver skin removed, the tip allows for some detail work and the knife is sized such that the slicing was no problem.

You have a very good hand-hold on the knife, and the micarta is grippy when wet.

Ready for action!

DSC_7676.JPG

Cutting the plastic off of the roll -

DSC_7677.JPG

First I trim the loose fatty material from the outside of the roll.

DSC_7678.JPG

DSC_7679.JPG

Next, you pull as much of the membranes off as possible and then work on the silver-skin, the tough connective tissue that most butcher shops don't seem to trim off, but I always do.

DSC_7681.JPG

DSC_7682.JPG

DSC_7688.JPG

This is kind of like taking the meat off of a crappie filet, you pull on the skin and run the knife up against it so you don't waste meat -

DSC_7689.JPG

DSC_7691.JPG

The 'Turt did a fine job - sharper is better for this task.

DSC_7690.JPG

There is a piece of meat on the filet roll that runs lengthwise along the main roll, I trim this off and use that for steak burrito or fajitas later in the week.

DSC_7683.JPG

DSC_7692.JPG

DSC_7694.JPG

On the big-end of the roll, there is a crevice with a good bit of hard, fatty tissue and some connective tissue that you want to remove before slicing your steaks - who wants a piece of gristle in a filet? Not me.

DSC_7696.JPG

I then remove some of the fat from the outer roll - I keep a little but you'll see there are large, hard chunks of fat that you will want to remove. A good knife is key. The Mud Turtle is a good knife!

DSC_7698.JPG

DSC_7701.JPG

You might find a little more silver skin - make sure you get all of that -

DSC_7702.JPG

Here I am just cutting up the burrito meat I spoke of earlier - I cut it into thumb sized chunks.

DSC_7706.JPG

DSC_7710.JPG

I trim both ends to get a good end for steaks, and put the cut ends in with the burrito meat. That is good stuff - we used to grind it and make the best hamburgers .....

And now you cut your steaks. I usually do 1" steaks, but I went a little thinner as we have been watching our diet and the slightly smaller steaks will be a better portion.

DSC_7714.JPG

The MT sliced right through the meat.

DSC_7715.JPG

DSC_7715.JPG

DSC_7719.JPG

When you get to the big end, you'll have the extra piece, just hold the filet together and slice it up. Then you can use a toothpick to keep the piece together or just squeeze it to the larger piece and bag the steak.

DSC_7721.JPG

A nice filet is one of my favorite foods. Yum. Look at the beautiful marbling on this roll -

DSC_7722.JPG

12 steaks, and a nice pile of meat for a burrito meal - that's meat for 7 meals for two, and the roll was $83.

DSC_7724.JPG

The Mud Turtle passed the filet roll test with flying colors.

best

mqqn

Last edited:
Thanks, Gentlemen!

Yes - steaks did happen last night - but I didn't move the pictures to the computer until today.

DSC_7726.JPG

The steaks were really butter-tender, and you could EASILY cut it with your fork, but why not let the MT have a little taste. For you folks cringing about the ceramic plate, there is little pressure applied and we can all sharpen a knife, right?....

DSC_7727.JPG

We are having the burritos today, so I got to cut up half an onion and a green pepper!

The MT is thicker than most kitchen knives, so it does require a little effort to cut through on the initial cleave, but after that the slicing is smooth and effortless.

DSC_7729.JPG

DSC_7730.JPG

DSC_7731.JPG

DSC_7732.JPG

DSC_7734.JPG

DSC_7735.JPG

I like the onion a little chunky for burritos - that way you get more of the carmelization in the pan.

DSC_7736.JPG

Then the green pepper -

DSC_7737.JPG

No problem. The MT really does allow a nice grip, with a nice, full sized handle.

DSC_7738.JPG

DSC_7741.JPG

Another kitchen chore knocked out - no problem for the 'Turt!

best

mqqn

No pictures of the burritos??? I feel cheated

Haha! Good point, however, by the time they were done, the camera was pushed way out of the way.

I think my wife was thinking tacos more than burrito - but they were delicious. Sadly, no pictures......

best

mqqn

Back