Multitool EDC? Anyone?

I carry a Charge TTi daily but just got a Juice KF4 so I might put that into a rotation! :)

Vic Spirit or Leatherman Rebar usually. Supertool rides in my glovebox, Core on the back porch for use in the garden and smoker, Skeletool in my backpack for emergencies...I'm gonna stop now LOL.

Vic Spirit or Leatherman Rebar usually. Supertool rides in my glovebox, Core on the back porch for use in the garden and smoker, Skeletool in my backpack for emergencies...I'm gonna stop now LOL.

I'd be interested in your comparison of the Spirit vs Rebar. What uses do you find the former better for versus the latter? Do you see them as two flavours of the same thing or quite a bit different?

Same comparison of the Core vs Supertool 300, actually. Which do you like better? Or do you like them for different reasons?

I'd be interested in your comparison of the Spirit vs Rebar. What uses do you find the former better for versus the latter? Do you see them as two flavours of the same thing or quite a bit different?

Same comparison of the Core vs Supertool 300, actually. Which do you like better? Or do you like them for different reasons?

Hmm the Spirit vs Rebar is tough...I think the Spirit is just about perfect. It's definitely got the edge so far as fit and finish, it just feels solid. I actually bought the Rebar after I thought I lost the Spirit.

I like the knife blade shapes on the Rebar better. The pliers come to more of a point, which can be handy. I'd say the Phillips driver is definitely better.
The Rebar handles don't quite line up when closed, which doesn't affect anything, but brings out some OCD in me.

The Spirit packs in more tools. The outside-opening tools are useful. I find the bottle opener better. Everything about it just screams quality. I find the handle shape to be nicer when using the pliers.

Honestly these days I vary depending on what pocketknife I feel like carrying. If I'm wielding a SAK, I carry the Rebar so I don't duplicate tools.
If I have a traditional knife, then the Spirit goes with me. They're both great tools, but I'd pick the Spirit if it came down to one.

Re Core vs SuperTool...they're basically the same thing. I probably like the Core just a bit more, but that's because I've had it longer and have more history with it.

2012-12-23_12-49-36_795.jpg

Super Surge. My new edc.

I absolutely love Leatherman multis for EDC. I don't typically use a knife for hard use, so it's tough for me to justify carrying a dedicated blade for day-to-day use. Multis allow me that blade along with many other tools.

My absolute favorite for regular day-to-day EDC is the old Sideclip. I have two of them (one NIB backup if I ever lose my main user). It's so slim and light. Probably lower profile than a lot of dedicated folders.

Another favorite is the Kick with the pocket clip. This is usually my work EDC, as I care less about it than my Sideclip. It's basically the same tool layout as the Sideclip, but newer and a little bulkier.

I also sometimes carry a Wingman. I love the outside accessible blade and scissors, as well as the spring loaded pliers, but the handles flex a ton. This is usually in my car in case I forgot to grab a tool on the way out the door.

I carry a Wave when I know I'm going to be doing actual work that day. It's a classic that I know I can depend on.

I also typically have my Micra in the fifth pocket in my jeans. That thing is a great personal tool.

Hmm the Spirit vs Rebar is tough...I think the Spirit is just about perfect. It's definitely got the edge so far as fit and finish, it just feels solid. I actually bought the Rebar after I thought I lost the Spirit.

I like the knife blade shapes on the Rebar better. The pliers come to more of a point, which can be handy. I'd say the Phillips driver is definitely better.
The Rebar handles don't quite line up when closed, which doesn't affect anything, but brings out some OCD in me.

Thanks. I bought a used Swisstool RS a month ago. The thing is so nice that I've lost a bit of admiration for my Leatherman tools already. The only problem with the Swisstool RS is it's so big that I carry it in my workbag, not on my person. I'm leaning toward getting a Spirit so I can carry one daily. But I also love the look of the Rebar in black oxide. If Swisstool Spirits were easier/cheaper to find in black oxide, I'd go that route.

I suppose a real MT collector would just get both. But with about eight MTs already, I'm feeling like that would be excessive. For now, I'm carrying a Wingman most days as a primary MT. I like it, and have never found it to be incapable of the light to moderate duties called upon for it. But it doesn't wow me like the Victorinox tools do.

I carried a Victorinox Swisschamp for more than 25 years and I replaced it with a Swisschamp XLT 3 months ago. I also carried a Vic Cadet, now replaced with a Harvester. A Minichamp is on my keys also.
When I was a kid those tools where permitted everywhere, at school or in an airplane (I carried an automatic out of the front thatvI bought during a school excursion, never used for anything else than playing with it and throwing it at trees). Everything changed 11 years ago.
In fact, the first time my Swisschamp was intercepted was the summer before the infamous WTC attacks, when they found it during routine scanning at the US Embassy (I was there for a Visa). They asked politely to give it at the security personnel and they gave it back to me before exit.

I carry a Victoriox Swisstool Spirit every day, usually paired with a dedicated knife, and have for six or seven years. Before that, it was a Leatherman Wave for probably six or seven years.

When I am at work (a high school), I keep it in my bag instead of on my belt where it is discreet but still handy.

I carried a wave and squirt p for a long time before I started carrying a dedicated knife. Now I carry a knife and a multitool. Usually victorinox spirit. I usually also have a old boyscout knife in my coat pocket. If I'm not at work Ill ditch the heavy pliers and go for a wenger evo s10 also highly recommended.

Took some pics just to post because theres not enough pics in this thread.
IMG_0708_zps6bdb7dff.jpg

IMG_0709_zpsedad9e81.jpg

I carry a Leatherman Wave with me all the time. I would also recommend a Leatherman bit kit and bit extender. For the last decade I have carried a multi tool and a pocket knife with me.

As much I love my Victorinox tools, I have to say I've never been let down by a Leatherman. They don't have that luxurious feel, but they work and they're tough. As always, buy both :cool:

As much I love my Victorinox tools, I have to say I've never been let down by a Leatherman. They don't have that luxurious feel, but they work and they're tough. As always, buy both :cool:

IMG_20121222_191005.jpg

I polished mine up to to give them that "luxurious feel".

When I traveled abroad to places that are not friendly toward stand-alone locking folders, I carried Swisstool Spirit S and Midnite Manager. Now that I'm back stateside, I find that I'm doing ok without any one-hand opening folder. The Spirit and the Manager stay.

In this country (New Zealand) it would be hard to justify to the law why I'm carrying a folding knife, if you say "to cut stuff" they don't accept that as a valid reason.
On the other hand a SAK or Multitool could be carried for a variety of reasons and I've never even been asked about why I carry them.
My normal daily carry is a Victorinox Cybertool 34 and a Victorinox SwissTool X, the SwissTool provides me with much stronger pliers, a file, a chisel and a heavy duty pry tool that I don't have on my Cybertool. I have a pouch on each hip for these 2 tools and I don't generally have any issue with their size or weight.

Back