My BK10

Nice work, looks great! I may have to finally get a pair of those micarta handles, not sure why I haven't yet.

Did you just use blue masking tape on the paint you wanted left on ?

That's how Ive done it.

Last one I did, I also put some aluminum foil on, reinstalled the scales, wrapped the foil back over the scales and applied stripper

Last edited:
Did you just use blue masking tape on the paint you wanted left on ?

That's how Ive done it.

Last one I did, I also put some aluminum foil on, reinstalled the scales, wrapped the foil back over the scales and applied stripper
No, I take a few shortcuts. I trace the scales with a pencil. Then remove the scales,put a very small amount or stripper into small metal can. I than dip a Q-tip in the stripper and puddle to the penciled line one line at a time and only stripping about a 1/4 back to the blade at this time .the stripper I use takes about a minute. After 1 minute I take a single edge razor and remove any paint that had the stripper from the line back . I'm only removing the outline of the scales in 4 separate steps 1 line at a time . Rinse between steps. After the scale outlines are done I apply it to the rest of the Knife and it's a done deal. The tang I do last carefully not let anything drip. I take my time and have been lucky with this way . You don't need a thick coat of stripper a very light coat is all it takes .when I said puddle to the line I mean it's wet so start before the line about 1/8" and slowly move the Q-tip to the line. After stripping I put scales on and if any paint outline is showing I use a paper clip point to chip off. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I need to get a fresh can of striper. When its a new fresh can, the paint bubbles up in seconds and scrape right off with a plastic bondo squeegee or credit card then hose it down.
My old can sitting in the garage for 2 or 3 years 110 degree summers and it doesnt bubble up the paint like it used to, But squeegees off pretty easy still

I need to get a fresh can of striper. When its a new fresh can, the paint bubbles up in seconds and scrape right off with a plastic bondo squeegee or credit card then hose it down.
My old can sitting in the garage for 2 or 3 years 110 degree summers and it doesnt bubble up the paint like it used to, But squeegees off pretty easy still
I forgot to mention I etch first.
Sweet lookin 10!
Thanks TP9 :thumbsup:

Gotta agree 100% on that one JD. I experienced the same thing. It was so dramatic that I thought they changed the formula lol

Gotta agree 100% on that one JD. I experienced the same thing. It was so dramatic that I thought they changed the formula lol

My old can leaked alittle at the bottom seam last summer in the hot garage and a little rust. I had some before that went bad.

Back