My Custom Made Mini Fat Bowie AKA "The Monster Cleaver" !!!

Hi everyone!

i have never really posted anything about my knives before so please forgive me for all the mistakes i am about to do. lol

Here it goes, i ve been a collector and lover of knives for some years now and i ve gathered quite a few knives but i have never really had a custom knife that was specifically made for me, so finally i decided to invest into a custom knife design by ME and made specifically for ME.

So i ve started to search for the right maker that could deliver what i wanted and always dreamed, as you can imagine it was really hard, not because it is hard to find a maker but there are a lot of amazing makers out there chose from and to find the right maker who understands what imagine and delivers the right finish product.

Anyways as i was searching/going through custom knife designs and custom knife maker`s pages i came a cross a picture from a knife show that was displaying an amazingly well made bowie.

and there was a name below it, Doug Campbell, Montana USA and i ve decided to contact Doug, "who is an amazing knife maker, an ABS Journeyman Smith and a great person" to see if he would be interested in a project like mine, surely enough he was kind enough to take on my project.

After going through some emails back and ford, i ve described him what i wanted and Ladies and Gentlemen HE HAD DELIVERED!!!

HERE are the pictures of the project as it progressed and the finally the finished BEAUTY, my "Monster Cleaver" !

Some details about the knife:

Overall length is little over 12"
Blade length is 6 1/2"
Blade width is little shy of a 2 1/2"
Blade thickness is .26"
Blade steel is W damascus and twist damascus spine all the way running
Guard, Handle Frame and Pommel are also made out of W damascus
Handle Material is Premium Curly Koa Wood from Hawaii
Western style cross fast draw Leather sheath
Double side tooling pattern back and front with antique finished and all hand made including the belt
All leather work is done by me using premium tooling leather.
I would like to thank my mentor Cyrus Kemp for teaching me all i know about the leather work.

I hope you will enjoy going through them and please let me know if you have any questions OR if they inspire you to get a custom knife, do not be shy and contact Doug Campbell, as i ve mentioned he is a true CRAFTSMAN and a GENTLEMAN.

My initial rough sketch design.

Wow!! That's a beautiful work of art you got right there. Amazing job on the leather sheath. I'd never in a million years have a use for a knife of that type but I still found myself wanting one just the same lol. :D

Wow!! That's a beautiful work of art you got right there. Amazing job on the leather sheath. I'd never in a million years have a use for a knife of that type but I still found myself wanting one just the same lol. :D

Agreed!.. Beautifull work and a piece of art.

That is a very "rich" looking knife my friend! Beautiful Craftsmanship. My compliments to the blade-smith who fashioned this master piece of design and expertise.

Great results, congrats, thanks for posting the build story in photos, very interesting!

Back