• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

My Experience with Gavko Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently I picked up a Gavko knife, I stumbled upon Gavko knives on Instagram and fell in love with the designs and materials that are used. So, I was on the hunt.

I finally found a couple for sale that were used and went ahead and picked them up. One in particular had been resharpened poorly giving it an uneven secondary bevel and a slight recurve in the belly of the blade. I went ahead and contacted Gavko knives via email to figure out what he could do for me.

Now, I knew that he offered a spa treatment for his knives including a sharpening of the blade. Now I'm no knife maker, but I personally thought the damage done to the blade was beyond repair and by resharpening the blade would remove too much material and leave me a toothpick for a blade.

First I asked if he could swap blades out with possibly a different blade shape, he told me that he COULD do that but wasn't going to because he didn't offer such services. Ok, so then I asked him if he could do a blade swap keeping the same blade profile as the old one. This is what he told me:

" i dont offer customizing and work like that. Only warranty, basic service, resharpening and spa. As a one man shop i have to prioritize what to use my time for and priority is making new knives, not customizing old ones."

I told him in both emails I sent him that I didn't expect him to do all this for free. I offered twice to pay for such services. What I gathered from this was that Mr. Gavko is more worried about making money then Customer service.

I didn't ask him to give the knife a new finish, I didn't ask him to put new materials on the knife, I didn't even ask him to put a new finish on the blade. All I wanted was a new blade to replace the old worn out one. I maybe over reacting a bit but it pisses me off when I'm just stuck with a wonky blade due to a makers priority of making money over helping his existing customers.

I guess I could send him the knife to sharpen it and hope he fixes it without taking too much material off. I'm not sure what to do. What if he takes off too much material and leaves me with a blade that's worse off? Good luck getting a replacement blade.

Am I being irrational? Was that too much to ask from a maker? Dave Curtiss of Curtiss Knives had no problem doing that for me in the past and he's a one man shop that has to make new knives as well. Would love to hear what y'all think of it.

Return the knife you don't like to the seller.

I could do that, but it wouldn't be fair to the seller because he did disclose that information before I purchased it. I figured I would send the knife in to Gavko to have it fixed properly. What I didn't account for was Mr. Gavac not wanting to help me with it.

I know he's just a one man operation, but even with the Buck spa treatment they will put a new blade in a 35$ Buck 110 if the original can't be made like new again.
I personally think this is something that should be reasonable for an expensive ( I'm assuming ) custom blade.
Why would he want one of his knives out there as example of what he won't do for his customers.

I could do that, but it wouldn't be fair to the seller because he did disclose that information before I purchased it. I figured I would send the knife in to Gavko to have it fixed properly. What I didn't account for was Mr. Gavac not wanting to help me with it.
Figured wrong. Not the knifemakers' fault you're unhappy with a used and abused folder.

I know he's just a one man operation, but even with the Buck spa treatment they will put a new blade in a 35$ Buck 110 if the original can't be made like new again.
I personally think this is something that should be reasonable for an expensive ( I'm assuming ) custom blade.
Why would he want one of his knives out there as example of what he won't do for his customers.

My thoughts exactly. I mean if priority is making money for Mr. Gavko then he still should have helped me due to the fact that I offered to pay whatever it takes to fix the blade.

I should add that i asked him if he could fix the cutting edge if anything else and he didn't respond.

This guys making $1000 dollar customs and not even offering replacement blades for them when they're used? What am I supposed to do just buy them and never use them? At some point in their life a knife is going to need a new blade and you're just SOL on getting a new one.

Why would you buy a knife that you assumed was 'beyond repair'? Send it for spa treatment. If you dont like it when you get it back, nobody is going to force you to keep it.

Does seem like he's missing out on some easy money on that one. But since it's spilt milk now, as a suggestion, you could have it reground/profiled by someone who does that kind of thing. We all know REK here can do some blade magic, and probably make it better then it was to begin with.

This guys making $1000 dollar customs and not even offering replacement blades for them when they're used? What am I supposed to do just buy them and never use them? At some point in their life a knife is going to need a new blade and you're just SOL on getting a new one.

According to the sales page at gearbastion, spinners are 499 or 575. What did you buy?

According to the sales page at gearbastion, spinners are 499 or 575. What did you buy?

Yes, Gavko Spinners run around that price new. If you look you can find his Custom Makos running in the 900 to 1100 dollar range. Look on Tri-city custom knives website and you'll see. Some as high as 2 grand.

Does seem like he's missing out on some easy money on that one. But since it's spilt milk now, as a suggestion, you could have it reground/profiled by someone who does that kind of thing. We all know REK here can do some blade magic, and probably make it better then it was to begin with.

I think that's the route I'll have to go. Either that or I now own a very expensive beater knife lol.

That is really weird WC. What if you buy a new one and drop it on a tile floor. The tip is destroyed the first time you handle the knife.
It's now a paper weight?? No options at all??
Sounds ridiculous to me.
If I was stuck in your footwear, I'm sending the knife to Josh at REK.......tomorrow.
Hit him up and explain the issue. Send him some pics also.
At this point you're kinda screwed, so nothing to lose by asking Josh if he can help.
I also commend you for not thinking of returning to the seller. As you said, he gave full disclosure.
Hoping you get straightened out.
Good luck!
Joe

One more thing WC.......he says he does not do any customizing of old knives.
You are not asking for any custom work. A new blade install is custom work??
Since when?? And how long could it possibly take for him to install a blade??
Ugh. Doesn't sound like business sense is in his vocabulary to me at all.
Again, good luck brother.
Joe

That is really weird WC. What if you buy a new one and drop it on a tile floor. The tip is destroyed the first time you handle the knife.
It's now a paper weight?? No options at all??
Sounds ridiculous to me.
If I was stuck in your footwear, I'm sending the knife to Josh at REK.......tomorrow.
Hit him up and explain the issue. Send him some pics also.
At this point you're kinda screwed, so nothing to lose by asking Josh if he can help.
I also commend you for not thinking of returning to the seller. As you said, he gave full disclosure.
Hoping you get straightened out.
Good luck!
Joe

Thanks for the support, I'm almost a 100 percent certain I'll send the knife to REK. See what he can do for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back