• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

My Experience with Gavko Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he contracts out 500 blades and 1000 handle scales he can make 500 complete knives correct?

If he sends you 1 blade, how many complete knives can he now make and sell?

Seriously did you go to parochial school at least. Yes I am oversimplifying it but I think that's what I need to do to make you understand.

He's not going to give you a break down of the cost of each individual part that makes up a folder - he has no reason or obligation to. If you want that information go put in an order for a thousand knives at halpern or millit or ferrum or...and find out for yourself.

To you, for all intents and purposes - the cost of the blade is the cost of the knife.

Shady scheme? In the OP I stated I fell in love with his knives and wanted a couple. How did you get that from That? So let me get this straight, you thought I bought a Gavko knife and that I was willing to send it in and willing to pay 2 to 3 hundred dollars for a new blade. Get that knife back from Gavko and sell it on the secondary market for 300 dollars less then what I hade into the knife.

Yep, that makes sense. FYI a used Gavko runs 450 to 485 on the secondary market. Nice try though. I wasn't scheming anyone, I simply wanted a new blade in my new knife (Well, new to me).
Then this doesn't make any sense to me. If you weren't trying to get a LNIB knife on the cheap why not just buy a LNIB knife?

if its a midtech, why the hell are you asking Gavko to make a replacement...why not go through the manufacturer? Is it a Millit or a FFKW? They may actually be able to help since they would control the batch cutting and manufacturing. Not that I would expect them to offer blade replacement at all, but that's like asking Carol Shelby to replace the mufflers on your Ford Cobra.

What's your endgame here?? 5 pages of BS and defensiveness while taking little to no ownership of your own poor judgment. Poking people by asking if they "did their research"...take your own advice. Your expectations were unrealistic from the start, this whole thread reads like troll fodder.

This is the third time you said "goodbye" on this thread. Either stay or go. Don't come in here making little smart ass remarks here and there. If you want to debate then stay. If not, good riddance.
I'm a gonna check me bingo card ... stand by.

This has been beaten more than that proverbial dead horse, :rolleyes: OP, please stop, it's over, we all get your message; sides have been chosen, no need to continue attacking each other. :thumbsdown: Opinions vary and lessons (hopefully) learned. The best of luck with the solution you choose. :)

Yes. True. And in fact, high end custom makers should really include a couple free backup blades with their knives.
Not sure if you're being serious or not, but That's what I would do if I was a high end custom knife maker.I would supply one spare blade and a free sharpening service and maintenance to keep my highly expensive products in service for the life of me and their owners. .
It's weird that it never dawned on him that one of his knives could need a replacement blade at some point.
He is a knife enthusiast who rotates edc all the time as are probably most of his customers, but what about the person who just wants to buy one good knife to depend on for the rest of their life ? Does he want one of his knives to end up looking like a 30yo old hickory boning knife ?

If he contracts out 500 blades and 1000 handle scales he can make 500 complete knives correct?

If he sends you 1 blade, how many complete knives can he now make and sell?

Seriously did you go to parochial school at least. Yes I am oversimplifying it but I think that's what I need to do to make you understand.

He's not going to give you a break down of the cost of each individual part that makes up a folder - he has no reason or obligation to. If you want that information go put in an order for a thousand knives at halpern or millit or ferrum or...and find out for yourself.

To you, for all intents and purposes - the cost of the blade is the cost of the knife.

Wait, I thought his blades had to be hand made and that's why he wouldn't replace mine. Remember? Cause it wasnt cost effective? If he has blades in bulk then why wouldn't he just sell me one? If thats the case then by your math its 4 hours for a knife then 30 minutes for a blade? What's your calculation now?

I just want to sum up a major point I and other have made:

There is no obligation for the maker to provide this service and the maker has politely declined to provide this service.

With that I will say this does not reflect poorly on the maker in my view he was not rude about it he simply said he prioritizes making knives over customizing what he already has. He is doing this as a business not just a hobby so he needs to prioritize what is viable business. I would suggest you look at or talk to those that do customizing majority of them do it more as a hobby because customizing isn't viable business. I will add just before it is stated but replacing a blade is something that can and would possibly be done as a customization so while your particular example is not a customization it would effectively be one.

Would any confusion be alleviated by including up to date pictures of this knife? Or is the OP content with the rest of us continually questioning him?

Not sure if you're being serious or not,...., but what about the person who just wants to buy one good knife to depend on for the rest of their life ? Does he want one of his knives to end up looking like a 30yo old hickory boning knife ?

Not. And you do realize that the steels on an Old Hickory and a Gavko are not the same, right? And how that affects the number of times each would need to be sharpened in their lifetime, correct?

if its a midtech, why the hell are you asking Gavko to make a replacement...why not go through the manufacturer? Is it a Millit or a FFKW? They may actually be able to help since they would control the batch cutting and manufacturing. Not that I would expect them to offer blade replacement at all, but that's like asking Carol Shelby to replace the mufflers on your Ford Cobra.

What's your endgame here?? 5 pages of BS and defensiveness while taking little to no ownership of your own poor judgment. Poking people by asking if they "did their research"...take your own advice. Your expectations were unrealistic from the start, this whole thread reads like troll fodder.

My end game is to get this thread as much publicity as I possibly can. Good or bad it just keeps reaching higher and higher on that Google search bar. The more comments it gets the more people will see it. While some might disagree with me, some will agree. Driving more and more customers away from Gavko Knives. Any publicity is good publicity. All you did was help me get closer to my goal.

Last edited:
My end game is to get this thread as much publicity ad I possibly can. Good or bad it just keeps reaching higher and higher on that Google search bar. The more comments it gets the more people will see it. While some might disagree with me, some will agree. Driving more and more customers away from Gavko Knives. Any publicity is good publicity. All you did was help me get closer to my goal.
Quoted for the form.

You need to stop digging. Thats the first rule when you find yourself in a hole.

I don't know much about Mikes products or his customs or midtechs but if they are hand ground blades than far and away that is the most time consuming portion and where most of the price comes from. So yeah if it's a hand ground midtech blade then the cost for a blade is probably closer to half the price of a custom.

If it's a cnc ground blade then it's the lost cost of the knife that he had to cannibalize to appease you.

I suspect the prices are about the same ~500 bucks.

All you need to know is - it's more than you are willing to spend which is why he politely declined.

Based on your tone in this thread I am 100% confident that if he gave you the $500 figure which is not out of line you'd be whining about that too.

Reactions: BBW
My end game is to get this thread as much publicity ad I possibly can. Good or bad it just keeps reaching higher and higher on that Google search bar. The more comments it gets the more people will see it. While some might disagree with me, some will agree. Driving more and more customers away from Gavko Knives. Any publicity is good publicity. All you did was help me get closer to my goal.

I think the consensus of this thread will be very much opposed to your 'goal'.

Not sure if you're being serious or not, but That's what I would do if I was a high end custom knife maker.I would supply one spare blade and a free sharpening service and maintenance to keep my highly expensive products in service for the life of me and their owners. .
It's weird that it never dawned on him that one of his knives could need a replacement blade at some point.
He is a knife enthusiast who rotates edc all the time as are probably most of his customers, but what about the person who just wants to buy one good knife to depend on for the rest of their life ? Does he want one of his knives to end up looking like a 30yo old hickory boning knife ?
To add a spare blade would add cost to the end product and the only times a blade would need to be replaced outside of a true warranty defect would be abuse that is not covered by warranty. Why subject all buyers to the added cost to cover the mistakes of a few.

Wait, I thought his blades had to be hand made and that's why he wouldn't replace mine. Remember? Cause it wasnt cost effective? If he has blades in bulk then why wouldn't he just sell me one? If thats the case then by your math its 4 hours for a knife then 30 minutes for a blade? What's your calculation now?
If we are talking a custom it is made ahead if we are talking midtech a batch is made for him and the batch likely is made with the right number of matching batch parts. To get a spare blade either 1 from an existing batch would need to be taken losing an entire full product or an entire batch of spares ordered. The 2 options are both costly and unreasonable.

People that pay 500+ for folders are not influenced by troll threads like this. They do research on makers and understand how the game is played. At least most do, as you've shown - some don't and then act petulant when they find out how it does.

That is what they will get from reading this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back