My First Spyderco

I have been a Benchmade/ZT/Microtech man until today. I was at the local Wal-Mart grabbing some ammo and I saw a Spyderco knife in the case. I didn't know they carried them so I took a look. I know it's a lower-end model (The Tenacious), but they had it on Clearance for $27 so I grabbed it. I figured for a "Beater" it would be OK. I was extremely pleased with the Out-Of-Box sharpness.

It's a great lower end knife for sure. I have one that finds it's way into the pocket every once in while. The steel will get small rust spots on it so make sure you keep it clean and it will last along time. Enjoy it and use it it's a great knife.

The Tenacious is an EXCELLENT
knife.

The action is as smooth as some of higher end Spydies.

The Tenacious is the gateway drug to the Spyderco obsession. Next you are going to look at a PM2. Once you get a PM2 your trek into the world of Spyderco will begin. It will be a fun and enjoyable ride. If you are not happy with one you can sell it very quickly here. As long as it is in good shape and the description is accurate there is no reason that you can't sell it quickly. That's what is nice about Spyderco's, it's as good as cash.

Now it's just a matter of finding that special one that ticks all the boxes. :p
As mentioned previous, the Para 2 is a good start. For me, I went full circle and came back to the Sage 2 and the lowly but very able Delica.

Does Spyderco make any Assisted or Auto models or are they all manual openers?

no assisted that i remember, least not current models. one auto right now but used to have a couple more they discontinued.

I keep my Tenacious in the door pocket of my vehicle and is easily the most used of my knives.
It's just a pain digging my edc out of my pocket while I'm behind the wheel.
I beat the hell out of that thing scraping and prying and whatever.
When it breaks I'll stuff another one in the same spot.

They do have a number of flippers. Well, now that you have been bit by the Spyder, your collection is going to grow. There is no cure.

The Tenacious and Persistence were my first Spydies as well...welcome to the sickness...enjoy :D

They do have a number of flippers. Well, now that you have been bit by the Spyder, your collection is going to grow. There is no cure.
I have one flipper (ZT 770CF). My other knives are Assisted Openers (Benchmade Volli) or Autos (Benchmade Triage, Benchmade Infidel, Microtech UTX85, Microtech Ultratech Hellhound) and one manual (Benchmade Nakamura CF). I prefer the Assisted and Autos.

The first Spyderco that I bought was the Tenacious. It is a great knife and it still get consistent carry time as part of my EDC rotation.

Welcome to the addiction, I found Spyderco 1 1/2 years ago and have now amassed 24 spydies. They sure are hard to beat for the quality and super steels they offer.

Does Spyderco make any Assisted or Auto models or are they all manual openers?
As far as I know they have never made an assisted opening. I do know that they make automatics but only sell them to law enforcement and the military. You can see them if you order a 2017 catalog from them.

Back