My perfect SAK and whats yours

PCL

I have decided that if i had 1 SAK to carry and be my everyday goto it would be the Tinker with the addition of a saw, carrier hook and a pocket clip, IMHO. What does anyone else say. Pick a current model or make one up like I did, but remember this is your everyday carry not just special times.

Could I have a cadet with an additional scissors and a saw and keep the same dimensions? whats physics between friends?

The cadet and farmer are the closest I've come so far.

Of the ones I have - Mechanic, Camper, Alox Cadet and Tinker, the Tinker gets far more pocket time than any of them. For me, it's just about the perfect SAK.

I have decided that if i had 1 SAK to carry and be my everyday goto it would be the Tinker with the addition of a saw, carrier hook and a pocket clip, IMHO.

You should try the Hiker. It's a Tinker with a saw.

As for my favorite, I usually carry a Climber or Huntsman and woulike to see those two with a alox scales.

img2942urq.jpg

I've got mine; a farmer with added scissors which a friend made for me.

Last edited:
No, the Hiker won't work. No scissors and no pliers, great thought though. My criteria is that it has to have all the features of the Tinker with my additions. I wonder if I could buy the extra parts and put it together myself, anyone know??

Anyone have experience with either the Craftsman or the Handyman?

No, the Hiker won't work. No scissors and no pliers, great thought though. My criteria is that it has to have all the features of the Tinker with my additions. I wonder if I could buy the extra parts and put it together myself, anyone know??

Here's a Tinker and Hiker
tinker.jpg

Hiker.jpg

If you're referring to a Deluxe Tinker...
deluxetinker.jpg

Then I think the closest you'll get is a Craftsman.
craftsman.jpg

If you are referring to a Super Tinker...
supertinker.jpg

Then I think you're looking for a Fieldmaster.
fieldmaster.jpg

Anyone have experience with either the Craftsman or the Handyman?

I got a Handyman and like it quite a bit. A little big to carry around but I think it offers all of the best tools and leaves off the other available tools that would never get used.

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

My perfect SAK is one of the one or two layer SAK's. Slim enough to fit n a pocket unnoticed, even in dockers or dress pants. Yet has enough capability to handle those everyday little problems that pop up. A loose screw, opening a cold brewski, cutting something. Bantam, classic, recruit, tinkers, are some of the best SAK's. I have a hiker, and like the farmer, it's a great woods knife but I just don't need a saw in everyday suburban life.

My general rule of SAK's is, if the tool's on it have not been used in a month, then I need a simpler SAK. A once a year tool use is not enough for me to carry it. At the present, I am on vacation in Key West for a week, and my only knife is a recruit that I mailed down to myself. So far, it's slice limes for gin and tonics, diced up anchovies for a salad, and popped open some cold ones for family members. Yet the two layers fit light and easy in tropic weight shorts. A bantam would have done as well, but since this in my only knife for the whole stay, I liked the idea of having the extra knife blade on hand. Today we're going out fishing, and the recruit will have to earn it's way.

Carl.

Well, my most carried SAK is either of my Alox soldiers. Next in line are my huntsman on the thick end of the scale (although its rare as I usually have a multi-tool in the Man-Bag) or on the small side would be my alox pioneer settler. Good sized blade for food prep, and super thin. If I leave the multi behind, its the huntsman all the way. I try really hard to not EDC more knives than I have hands, but some how it just never works out that way. The only thing that would make the huntsman better would be a newer model with the pin hole, but given that it was basically free, I won't complain.

Mine would be a Farmer or SI with a scissors added. Sort of an alox Huntsman.

A Huntsman was my only knife and edc from the age of twelve to my early thirties, and it served me well.

The Alox Soldier for me. Thin, strong, easy to clean, with tools that I use on a regular basis. I wouldn't want to add scissors to it as that would increase the weight and around the house I have full size scissors available. The keys that go in my pocket when I leave the house have a leatherman style ps for the scissors, tweezers and small pliers.

I've got to say the Alox cadet for me. It's about as perfect as a SAK. If I could change something, I would put a small blade on it and keep the same size.

I have an older Ranger which fits the bill as my "perfect" SAK. However, my go-to was, is, and will be for the forseeable future, the Recruit. It's small, light, has all the tools I find myself needing on a daily basis, and it's not expensive to replace if I lose or, heaven forbid, break it:eek:

My perfect Sak is my Cadet Sak it has all the tools and things that i need in an Edc knife

Huntsman has the perfect too set for me (doesn't work for you - no pliers, etc.) but that's not what you asked. :p

20120214img1612.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

Wow, lots of opinions. I have to say I did wrongly identify my knife it's the deluxe tinker, I've had it so long I forget the whole name. I would'nt want huge, but I have large hands and my "deluxe tinker" works perfectly. I have found that I currently own 5 leathermans, from the original supertool, 3 waves and the pulse. But the knife I find myself using most days is the SAK. I only own 2 SAK's - the deluxe tinker and the classic. I also make my own sheaths so I can carry the way I choose.

Back